Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,254 times

Advertisements

from CT and want to move to florida in the future. Tampa Sarasota area.
reading all the posts. im freaking out.
anyone from CTthat recently moved there that loves it? what are the pros and cons CT vs FLA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 07:09 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
anyone from CTthat recently moved there that loves it? what are the pros and cons CT vs FLA?
Like most that come from the NorthEast you'll find the weather wonderful, especially in the winter. What you have to honestly ask yourself is if you think you'll miss changing leaves and winter (to some extent) within a few years... That's what happens to most IMO and why they go part way back so they can experience the seasons and to some the heat gets oppressive.

Low 80s for Halloween, Thanksgiving and sometimes Christmas makes those holidays seem screwy for some and then some don't care about all that.

And this is just one aspect to think about... I have a LOT of family in CT and there is a LOT of nice countryside with Colonial charm up there. You will NOT find that in Florida. At least not in the area you're looking at.

Overall you're probably ready for a change, but the question you need to ask yourself is if you want a drastic change because that's what you're in for.... Good luck in your decision. Not saying you've chosen a bad place to go, just a VERY different one from where you currently reside.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
The main issues to most people are fast increase in cost of living, relatively stagnant income, increase in traffic, and crime. You'll have to compare those with the situation in CT and relative to your personal situation.

It seems people focus on the negative posts, whether it be Sarasota or Miami or whatever, when, overall, the balance pretty much reflects reality for the majority of people, at least the majority who post on these forums.

But you are not the majority of people: you have to measure up your situation to the reality and see where you fit in.

Are you retiring, do you have young children, do you have significant equity in a high priced home in CT (maybe Florida is relatively cheap to you), do you have investment income, do you have a well-paying job lined up in the Sarasota area, is weather a major priority for you, etc., etc.?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:08 AM

93 posts, read 284,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
When I moved here I loved it at first, Now I wish I had looked at the cons. I just had it set in my mind that all the bad stuff was from people that where unhappy in life. Trust me its not,

Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamove2 View Post
When I moved here I loved it at first, Now I wish I had looked at the cons. I just had it set in my mind that all the bad stuff was from people that where unhappy in life. Trust me its not,
where did u move from? how long have u lived there?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 AM

458 posts, read 598,771 times
I have lived in Hartford, CT and more recently PA. I don't agree with the negative stuff about Florida ruling out moving to Florida. Yes, Florida has problems and some people are miserable here. But I have found tons of miserable people in CT and PA.

Now, what are your interests? We love tennis and the beach and dog parks and exercising and sweating. We are very active outdoor people. We do not enjoy being in the gloomy grey of PA and CT for 4 months per year.

We find bad drivers in the NE and Florida. We find rude and nice people both places. Despite the schools being higher rated up here, I found some teachers decent, many not. You have to have a hands on approach to education, no matter where you live. Some inner city kids from terrible schools become doctors and engineers. Many kids from affluent, great schools are laying on their parents couch right now, unemployed and smoking weed...it is what you make it for your kids.

Crime is not all over Florida. Many areas have low crime. And houses can be rented all over for $1500 or less. Avoiding crime is a hands on approach. A family was just killed in CT, no dog, no alarm system, no wireless panic button....crime can hit anywhere, you have to be as prepared as possible to protect yourself.

The main issue for you might be income. Florida has some decent jobs, if you are trained for them. Moving to Florida with no job lined up would not be wise.

Florida is amazing if you are into its advantages. Florida is horrible if you are an indoors, non active person....that type of person would not be able to take advantage of Florida's great offerings, so there really is not much point to them being there.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post

And this is just one aspect to think about... I have a LOT of family in CT and there is a LOT of nice countryside with Colonial charm up there. You will NOT find that in Florida.
I hope nobody moves to Florida expecting colonial charm ala Connecticut ??

You can find some older neighborhoods with colonial style homes in brick, etc., but it's more typical to find stucco & tile in Spanish style (since that is the history of Florida).

History and climate determine much of an area's look.

Last edited by riveree; 07-27-2007 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: "with"

Old 07-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post

Florida is amazing if you are into its advantages. Florida is horrible if you are an indoors, non active person....that type of person would not be able to take advantage of Florida's great offerings, so there really is not much point to them being there.
That's really true. If you don't appreciate the climate and what nature has to offer in Florida, then you're missing out on one of the big reasons so many people move here...you don't want to move here if you don't like sunshine or water .

Old 07-27-2007, 04:17 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I hope nobody moves to Florida expecting colonial charm ala Connecticut ??

You can find some older neighborhoods with colonial style homes in brick, etc., but it's more typical to find stucco & tile in Spanish style (since that is the history of Florida).

History and climate determine much of an area's look.
Not so much talking about the "style" but there's a colonial charm (Spain had colonists too, I'm talking about the period) that much of Connecticut has that Florida is just lacking save for St Augustine....

Old 07-27-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Not so much talking about the "style" but there's a colonial charm (Spain had colonists too, I'm talking about the period) that much of Connecticut has that Florida is just lacking save for St Augustine....
Is Florida really "lacking" though?

It's a completely different place than Connecticut. They're both on the East Coast and they're both in America, but the similarity starts to end there.

I think you'd set yourself up for failure if you expect to find that same charm....Florida has it's own charm and it's not going to resemble Connecticut's.

Last edited by riveree; 07-27-2007 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: "on" the East Coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida