Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,718 times

Advertisements

Another problem corrected in the last few years is there was no occupancy laws meaning you could rent out beds in a home, as many as you could could fit.

Some knew of this and you could point out the ones because the front yard became a parking lot during the night.

I had a gentleman who had move back to NJ and had a home in Deltona he been tring to sell for over a year before contacting me. After visiting the home I quickly noticed and told him his problem was the home next door they were renting beds. Upon calling the city and they explained other than the possibility of citing them for using the front yard for parking there was nothing they could do at that time. The official went on to explain that a ordinance was currently being voted on by the City Council to fix this problem, it passed.

There is a good number of home even today that the garage is converted to a room, can't tell from the outside as the door is still there.

Hope this helps,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM

193 posts, read 93,264 times
My thought was, whats causing flooding if Ocean is not that close...
According to what I researched flooding seems to be from poor drainage problems during heavy rains & storms, there was also an article about sewage backing up into some homes.
I imagine the sinkhole on Howland Boulevard a few years back would have folks running from nearby neighborhoods.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,273 times
What happened to Deltona? The same thing that has happened to most cities in Florida. The economy went to trash, the housing boom was over. New home construction was nearly non exsistant and drove a ton of money out of the local economy. People lost their jobs and couldn't pay their bills.

Deltona might have a slightly higher crime rate but it's in my opinion nothing to worry about. DeLand is regarded as a nice area among the West Volusia area and crime still exists and is probably quite close to that of Deltona. Anyone can go to their local PDs daily activity reports online and think to themselves that they live in a ghetto.

It's all about location. Plenty of places in any towns I wouldn't want to live. I think most cities have good and bad areas. The same holds true for Deltona. There are quite a few subdivisions that are nice, everyone is still keeping their homes nice. Than there are areas that aren't subdivisions that are good. Just need to check out the area firsthand. Go during the day, go when kids are home from school, go at night time. Do your due diligence and find out if it's right for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverangel View Post
My thought was, whats causing flooding if Ocean is not that close...
According to what I researched flooding seems to be from poor drainage problems during heavy rains & storms, there was also an article about sewage backing up into some homes.
I imagine the sinkhole on Howland Boulevard a few years back would have folks running from nearby neighborhoods.
Do you have any news links or anything about flooding? I've been in Volusia County and the immediately surrounding areas for 22 years and can't remember a time where Deltona was ever experiencing any major flooding problems.

Do you mean DeBary?? DeBary during the bad hurricanes a ~decade ago had horrible flooding problems due to poor drainage with all of the new construction. DeBary Golf & County namely.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,747 times
Default family ties to Deltona since 1979

I currently live in Deltona. This is a HUGE town.Largest in Volusia, bigger than Daytona. My grand parents moved here back in '79.It was a MUCH different place then. The real estate tide rose high and fell HARD here more so than other nearby areas. Bottom line, Florida is not what it was 10 years ago.
In my area (near Howland and 415) I find it quiet. We have three kids in the local schools.Which by the way are all ( elem./middle/h.s.) within a ten minute bike ride from our house. This town is diverse to say the least. We also have a sports complex;SEVERAL nice parks,a skate park within a ten minute bike ride.PLENTY of shopping, dog parks.Churches galore.Affordable housing. It is all relative. You will find the good with the bad. Opinions vary. The fact that we are smack in between Orlando and Daytona beach make the location perfect for any life style. Three of my siblings live in other areas of Deltona as do one of my parents and their spouse......aunts....uncles....and my grand parents prior to their passing. Your town is what you make of it. If all you look for is the negative, that is all you will find.
*As far as the flooding problems, yes there were problems around 6-8 years ago when this area was getting SLAMMED by storms and the St. Johns river over flowed it's banks. The sewer and drainage problems have been addressed.
Good luck!!

Last edited by mikeandtrish; 06-16-2011 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: forgot to add answer to part of the question.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 17,779 times
Mikeandtrish, Can you give me some insight on Deltona Lakes? I see alot of reasonably priced properties there. Is it one huge subdivision or a number of smaller ones? Good place to live? the lots look nice at least.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 AM

13 posts, read 31,239 times
We moved here from Key West 9 months ago. It's a great place to live. Shopping galore. Eatery's, lots, not as many as Key West but we can afford these. Crime, almost none especially compared to Key West (most buried by the tourist develment people). I actually feel darn safe here. I see no gang tags or activity but know it must exist. Houses are give away priced. We paid $69,900 for a 1450 sq. ft. 2/2 on a half acre with 138' lake front on a 106 acre lake. Zillow now values it at $52000. Beileve me, that would be a steal. I'm just too old to be bothered but I know I should buy a couple houses here for investment. Great area, "come on down...or up"!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 17,779 times
I just saw this thread was revived. Thanks for the info!! Glad you are enjoying Deltona. Sounds like a nice area.
Actually we just closed on a house in South Daytona this week...
Got a pretty good deal on ours also.
We're looking forward to decent weather year-round. And being close to my family again and much closer to hubbies family who lives in Tampa.
Figure the economy will be about the same as it is here in Ohio. But the seafood will be better!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Unemployment is actually pretty low here. Flooding isn't a problem. I see no gang activity. I do see lots of underware but that's not gang activity, that's a passing style. Good prices on everything and all close by. Not a small town feel but not big city either. How would you like to have 1/2 acre, 1450 sq ft home with 138 lakefront on a 106 acre lake for $175. a year taxes?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
Unemployment is actually pretty low here.
Ummm, correction. The latest figures were 11.0% and am pretty sure that doesn't qualify as "pretty low". Deltona ranks #308 out of 372 metro areas in terms of unemployment rate.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ummm, correction. The latest figures were 11.0% and am pretty sure that doesn't qualify as "pretty low". Deltona ranks #308 out of 372 metro areas in terms of unemployment rate.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kyle, this is what I had read...

For population 25 years and over in Deltona:
  • Unemployed: 4.7%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Delton...#ixzz1YxjvbxJl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida