U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM

6,312 posts, read 12,193,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan09 View Post
Thanks everyone. I haven't been to Florida in the summer months before. I have, however, been to Las Vegas, California, and Dominican many times in the summer (July/August). I find these all tolerable. I can't stand the winter and really enjoy the heat. I guess I'm not sure why Orlando is considered to be so bad in the summer (more humid?). We've ruled out that area anyways due to safety concerns, etc. Am I correct in understanding that the closer you are to the ocean, the less humid it is?
The big difference between the places you listed as places as you have been in the summer months vs Florida is humidity. Humidity adds an extra level of uncomforableness...

The reason why Orlando is probably one of the worst places to be in the middle of summer is it is land locked and it will not get any help from a sea breeze that places on the coasts will get. If anything the breezes from each coast will push the heat inland, making it even warmer. So there is no difference in humidity. The East Coast sea breeze seems to be stronger, so the places on the East Coast will not be as hot as the west coast cities. And for some reason South East Florida doesn't get as hot in the summer as the Northeast coast of Florida.

Like someone already mentioned a Floridians idea of hot is going to be different than a Canadians. 90F and dry is much more tolerable to me than 90 and humid. So I would plan a trip to visit a few places in August and experience it yourself. FYI summer is rainy season here in Florida.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 28,121 times
Thanks for the detailed replies! Definitely very helpful!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:48 PM

955 posts, read 1,002,296 times
My husband is Canadian and he doesn't mind the summers. I'm a Florida native, and I find them to be untolerable unless I'm in the pool or ocean. When you walk outside in August, it is like you just opened the oven to pull out a casserole. That is truly no exaggeration.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM

207 posts, read 425,410 times
I would stick to the coastal areas where you get more of the ocean breeze in the hottest months of summer. I would not go inland. St. Augustine would be a good choice. It's summer so it's hot, having a pool is the way to cool off in the summer months.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM

2,618 posts, read 2,322,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
No, it's actually MORE humid near the water, but will be a little bit cooler due to the moderating effects of the water, and also the breezes you will also get from the water.
And he/she is NOT kidding! I remember walking along the beach in Vero with my feet in the water thinking I'd be cooled by ocean breezes but instead I was soaking wet from sweat. The biggest phenomenon we encountered is that it gets hotter as you drive north. Jacksonville is atrocious in the summer. Probably the same scientific enigma that heats the Carolinas to up over 100 degrees while South Florida stays a mere 95.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM

955 posts, read 1,002,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
The biggest phenomenon we encountered is that it gets hotter as you drive north. Jacksonville is atrocious in the summer. Probably the same scientific enigma that heats the Carolinas to up over 100 degrees while South Florida stays a mere 95.
True, it's cooler in Miami than Orlando, and cooler in Orlando than some parts of south Georgia even! It is strange indeed.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM

125 posts, read 176,885 times
Just a couple tidbits from a Floridian... =) .....Hurricane season is over in NOVEMBER; September is one of the busier months for them. The warm waters create hurricanes (along with other factors) so with August and Sept being the hottest of the months, Sept is prime season. As far as the heat...I LOVE it! I spent 20 yrs in the Midwest and couldn't wait to get back to the best state in the country! People from the North usually acclimate within 2 years; if you like hot weather. I HATE cold weather so this is wonderful.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,280,032 times
You have to acclimate. If you run inside and hide in the a/c then you'll acclimate to that. If you go about your usual routine, you'll soon become fine with the heat. Stay hydrated and use sun block or cover up with thin loose natural clothes.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:03 PM

105 posts, read 83,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
My husband is Canadian and he doesn't mind the summers. I'm a Florida native, and I find them to be untolerable unless I'm in the pool or ocean. When you walk outside in August, it is like you just opened the oven to pull out a casserole. That is truly no exaggeration.
No, no not a oven. An oven is dry. SW Fl in summer (Ft Myers, Punta Gorda) is more like when you put some food inside a plastic microwave bowl on 50% level and heat it. Once you take the food out you see all the hot moisture in the bowl. You will sweat like that and one you get acclimate to it you will just sweat a little less. Vegas and Phoenix are the real ovens for 8 months of the year (not good for your skin). But humid places are good for your skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida