U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 29,352 times
Default Best part of Florida? - Summer Weather

We are looking at purchasing a second home in Florida for our family (which includes 2 very small children) to escape our chilly Canadian winters. We would be heading down to stay a lot in the winter months. However, once the kids are school age, we see ourselves making a trip in the summer as well. Now I know that Florida is going to be hot, that's for sure, but which area has the best or most comfortable summer weather. I've heard Orlando (central?) has some pretty uncomfortably hot summers.

We have no idea which part of Florida to buy in. My husband just wants to be able to have easy access to lake fishing! That's about it. I've heard good things about Jupiter and Coral Springs. We aren't looking to rent our property out or anything like that - just simply wanting a second property, one for winter and summer stays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM

11,960 posts, read 11,474,857 times
Coral Springs is well inland (read humid, little breeze) and IMO would consider it too suburban for vacation. Jupiter is more vacation-like and on the coast, though rather expensive if memory serves well. If your husband likes lake fishing you might consider the Safety Harbor/Oldsmar area in northern Pinellas County (Tampa Bay area). It's cooler than the mainland, generally has a breeze and offers easy access to the beaches and fishing on beautiful Lake Tarpon or Tampa Bay. Real estate in the area is much more reasonable than South Florida as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_Harbor,_Florida
Safety Harbor FL - Official Website - New Resident Information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmar,_Florida
City of Oldsmar, FL - About Oldsmar

Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM

11,218 posts, read 15,465,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan09 View Post
We are looking at purchasing a second home in Florida for our family (which includes 2 very small children) to escape our chilly Canadian winters. We would be heading down to stay a lot in the winter months. However, once the kids are school age, we see ourselves making a trip in the summer as well. Now I know that Florida is going to be hot, that's for sure, but which area has the best or most comfortable summer weather. I've heard Orlando (central?) has some pretty uncomfortably hot summers.

We have no idea which part of Florida to buy in. My husband just wants to be able to have easy access to lake fishing! That's about it. I've heard good things about Jupiter and Coral Springs. We aren't looking to rent our property out or anything like that - just simply wanting a second property, one for winter and summer stays!
You might want to view Florida from a different perspective entirely, before you consider living there. As a Canadian, your idea of "uncomfortably warm" is going to be vastly different from a Floridian's idea of "uncomfortably warm."

There really is no such thing as "most comfortable" or "best" climate in Florida, in the summer. There is only "least unbearable" and "most tolerable."

This is why I've been pushing my spouse to reject retirement in Florida. The whole reason why people flock there to retire, is the warm climate.

And yet, when summer comes around, all those Florida-lovers flock just as quickly INDOORS, and stay there til the hurricane season is over in September.

You'll be dealing with at least 2 months of nights in the 80's (farenheit), mid-day highs deep into the 90's, and humidity rarely lower than 50%. The month before and after July and August aren't much better.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,328,124 times
Summer weather is a pretty polarizing topic on this forum. You either love it or hate it. You can't really escape the heat and humidity or the almost daily sun showers, but the closer you are to the coast, the better chance you'll have at feeling some cool breezes.

There will be plenty of people who tell you that you have to stay inside with the air conditioning upwards to six months. I won't deny that. Some people have no tolerance to the heat/humidity and that's fine. I grew up here and I don't mind the heat/humidity at all. In fact, I still wear long pants in July. I can't handle a minute of cold weather, though.

It all comes down to personal preferences, really. Have you ever been to Florida during the middle of summer before?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Thanks everyone. I haven't been to Florida in the summer months before. I have, however, been to Las Vegas, California, and Dominican many times in the summer (July/August). I find these all tolerable. I can't stand the winter and really enjoy the heat. I guess I'm not sure why Orlando is considered to be so bad in the summer (more humid?). We've ruled out that area anyways due to safety concerns, etc. Am I correct in understanding that the closer you are to the ocean, the less humid it is?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 9,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The month before and after July and August aren't much better.
This is true. It's not even April yet, and it's ALREADY hot here.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 PM

10,028 posts, read 16,012,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan09 View Post
Thanks everyone. I haven't been to Florida in the summer months before. I have, however, been to Las Vegas, California, and Dominican many times in the summer (July/August). I find these all tolerable. I can't stand the winter and really enjoy the heat. I guess I'm not sure why Orlando is considered to be so bad in the summer (more humid?). We've ruled out that area anyways due to safety concerns, etc. Am I correct in understanding that the closer you are to the ocean, the less humid it is?
No, it's actually MORE humid near the water, but will be a little bit cooler due to the moderating effects of the water, and also the breezes you will also get from the water.

Any differences in temps or humidity in Florida are negligible, visit some areas you are interested in and choose according to what you like in the area. I also cannot stand winter, and happily put up with some hotter days to have what I consider to be beautiful weather most of the year.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 PM

960 posts, read 1,816,065 times
Orlando becomes an actual oven in the summer,I'm in Miami and go to Orlando a lot and it's always hotter in the summer and colder in the winter when compared to Miami.Last year I was in Orlando in August with a high temperature of 98-99 with the heat indexes in the 115-120 range,insane!!In my opinion the most comfortable weather year round in Florida would be on the coast from St.Augustine north to the Georgia state line

Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 PM

Thanks everyone - I think I'll check out Safety Harbor and St. Augustine out a bit more....thanks to the recommendations on this post!

Sounds like Safety Harbor should be a good spot for fishing opportunities, I'll have to see if the St. Augustine area offers the same.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 AM

53 posts, read 28,324 times
We were in Destin in August of '05 (three weeks before Katrina) and it was cloudy and the temps didn't get above the low 80's; which was perfect. I know this is the exception to the rule, but we just got lucky I guess! By the way, the Destin area its beaches are BEAUTIFUL. We're planning a trip back this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida