U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 AM

119 posts, read 288,363 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My kid has eczema. My wife and I have been looking at both online forums and expert opinions, and lots of them say that a climate near the sea, and with lots of humidity, is ideal for people with skin issues like eczema. Apparently sea water helps to heal the skin, and lots of sunlight helps, I'm guessing because it's a source of Vitamin D. Additionally, moist air helps to keep scratchy patches moisturized. Thus, many people say Florida (and, more specifically, South Florida) is a good place for eczema sufferers to live.

Can anyone please tell me if you or anyone you know has had this experience in Florida? I.e. has your skin cleared up by living in this tropical climate? If so, where are good places to live within Florida that might help clear up (or at least help us better manage) my kid's skin irritation? As I understand it, it's not ideal to live in areas with a lot of pollen and ragweed (probably not issues in FL, but not sure) and pollution.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,798,882 times
I can't give you an answer on eczema as I know nothing about it. I can tell you that my allergist said Florida always has something in bloom year round. So there is pollen in the air, but I would suspect that places near the coast will have less pollen in the air because the sea breeze would help to push some of that inland. Maybe someone else can help to answer your question.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,353,473 times
I would imagine it would be great for exzema since it's humid. My husband has had bouts of it here in the north. I can't tell you for sure until a year from now after we've spent our first winter in Florida!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:14 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,531,425 times
It doesn't help proriasis at all... speaking from experience.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 AM

Thanks all for your helpful answers. I'm getting the impression that Florida is rife with pollen and other allergens, and that almost year-round, things are in bloom. So I take it this means I'd have to live nearer the coast for it to make it worthwhile for my kid. Anyone else have any further insights into this?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 AM

15,184 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDreamer View Post
Thanks all for your helpful answers. I'm getting the impression that Florida is rife with pollen and other allergens, and that almost year-round, things are in bloom. So I take it this means I'd have to live nearer the coast for it to make it worthwhile for my kid. Anyone else have any further insights into this?
Depending WHERE in Florida you live can affect individuals differently. In the southern parts of the state near the coast you will have certain tropical vegetation which bother a lot of people - for me, I hate the melaleucas and Brazilian peppers which proliferate here. You don't have these in the upper half of the state. There are plenty of oaks with pollen here. I do love living near the coast, the salty air and water does cure a lot of ills. Also Florida has some pretty good air overall.

As far as skin issues, I don't particularly have problems but LOVE the humidity for keeping my skin smooth and supple. I absolutely hate dry/cold weather, just cannot stand it.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,711,412 times
I've had eczema since before I moved to Florida in 89, I cant say that the climate improved it at all.
Educating myself about alternative methods to treat it has helped more than anything.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Yeah, kshe95girl, I've read various places that it's not recommended to move to a new climate to combat eczema. But I'm just worried it's going to get worse, so am trying to keep my options open. Anyone else know if anywhere in FL is good to live if you have skin issues like eczema?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 14,666 times
I have seborrheic dermatitis which is similar, mostly affecting my face (the T-zone). I spent 6 weeks in Thailand last summer (unbelievably humid and hot) followed by a month in SW Florida. Yes, I was basting in my own juices like a Thanksgiving turkey, but my skin never looked or felt better.

One thing, though. Swimming in the gulf seemed to dry out my face...maybe it was the salt in the water, I don't know. As long as I didn't submerse my head, it seemed to be tolerable.

This is all anecdotal, not terribly scientific, etc., but I'm returning to SW FL for 3 months this summer to see if my skin improves again. Currently, I live in the desert SW. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,196,356 times
Everybodys different, especially for severe cases I Think what really helps is sea water. The sun or the humidity alone won't help as much. Sea water is full of minerals and bacteria

Maybe you should visit Florida for 2 weeks, have him go to the beach (and bathe) everyday and check for any improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida