Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 PM

73 posts, read 420,126 times

Advertisements

I am collecting unemployment benefits and am trying to figure out a way to create part-time work for myself while still looking for full-time employment. I contacted the agency by email (phones are impossible), and they said that I need to report all earnings (yes, I know this) and if I am pursuing my part-time work as self employment, then the state of FL needs to review this "in depth". (I got no additional reply when I asked how this was done, or if I would lose my benefit). Does anyone know how or if I can start a side business, or freelance and NOT lose unemployment benefits? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:03 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,842,570 times
Get paid with cash and don't report it.

There are millions of people in this country that get paid cash and never report it. It's hard to prove too.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 PM

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking of that!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,842,413 times
Your choices are be unemployed and get Unemployment Benefits, or work and get paid for it. If you find some work and can't make your money stretch, there are other services out there to help you through rough times. Apply for other things like food stamps. Unemployment benefits are for people who are unemployed. If you are working, these benefits no longer apply to you.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,039,475 times
Our labor law poster at my work says:
YOu may file a claim for partial unemployment for any week you work less than full time due to lack of work if your wages during that week are less than your weekly benefit amount.

Not sure if it's the same for self employed.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM

I found this on the Workforce website regarding self employment:

"Gross income earned in self-employment must be reported for the week in which the wages were
earned, not paid. A self-employed person is not eligible for benefits when engaged in selfemployment for the majority of the time, even if no money is earned."

And this was a reply to one of my questions from the agency through email:

"Unemployment allows you to earn up to $58 without any deduction from your benefit payment. If you exceed $58 then dollar per dollar is deducted from the benefit payment."

I am still trying to get all the facts before starting anything on my own. I was laid off a year ago and have been unsuccessful in finding a job (yes, I have been diligently looking!). I'm a single mother of a 3 year old, I NEED work! I figured if I can't find a job, I will make my own! But, apparently it's not that easy. I'm just trying to do the right thing, and survive this mess.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 PM

749 posts, read 2,427,233 times
Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't even open that can of worms, your liable to set yourself up for delays in your payment and even worse get yourself chopped from UI alltogether.

It's one thing to cut the neighbors lawn for $20 cash but if your going to do anything else "legit" it requires registering for a DBA, occupational liscense, liability insurance, etc. and all that adds up. I agree with numbaby, get your food stamps set up and readjusted and where's the dad of your 3 year old? You ought to be getting child support as well.
Bottom line is I wouldn't rock the boat.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,165 times
To BigFish_LittleFish: I'm helping my neighbor set up a website to show ideas and provide online workshops for honest part-time, self-employment work like you described you're looking for. So far we have a guide for Event Planning and will have one for Airbnb, a low-key travel-stay network. If your community has a lot of pet-owners, a pet-helper business could work for you. Start by (in your home or at theirs) pet-sitting, pet-grooming, walking, etc for neighbors and friends to get the hang of it and build trust. And ask them to refer you to others when they will be on a trip or if someone needs extra help (like an elderly person).

I hope this helps you! Please let me know if you would like more information on that website we're building!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida