Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM

87 posts, read 364,660 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I want to go the Florida this April for an easy, relaxing vacation. I have NO IDEA where to go.
I lived in NYC for many years so I don't need an ultra hip scene. But a place that is still vibrant.
Please advise! What I'd like:

• Near water--bayside or ocean side. Or hell, a pool if Orlando is good.
• A hotel w/outdoor pool that either has a good restaurant or includes meals
• A condo near a whole foods
• Avoid throngs of spring breakers
• Vibrant scene, some nightlife (I'm a 30ish single guy, no need for family vacation place)
• Temps in the 80's in April during the day.

Here are towns friends have suggested. Please weigh in:
Jacksonville: (Pro: affordable. Con: Friend says I'd hate it)
Sarasota: (Pro: nice. Con: Maybe too sleepy?

Fort Myers (Pro: Very affordable. Con: Very sleepy?

Daytona (pro: Affordable, ocean. Con: probably still spring breakers in April.

Clearwater: (Pro: on the water. Con: Too isolated from Orlando)

Any thoughts? Please help!
Thank you.

Last edited by Hubcap_halo; 03-28-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Rather than throw South Florida completely under the bus you might check out Fort Lauderdale Beach. It has seen a return of Spring Breakers but that will have gone by the time April rolls around. Traditionally it has a slightly older (30s and 40s) demographic and is much less pretentious/more laidback than South Beach. The area from the 17th Street Causeway east to the ocean and north along A1A to Commercial Blvd is the area to focus on. I personally would recommend looking for accommodations on the south end along 17th Street to A1A north to Las Olas Boulevard. Check out the Bahia Mar Hotel, Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina or for a more budget-friendly option the Estoril Paradise Inn is in a great spot near the beach and nightlife.

Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel, Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels & Florida Luxury Accommodations - Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel
Fort Lauderdale Hotels | Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotels | Estoril Paradise Inn

Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM

87 posts, read 364,660 times
Default Wow, thank you for the detailed reply...

I will check out Fort Lauderdale Beach. And double thanks for the street locales. I'll go on Google maps and check out where the Whole Foods is for apartments. And I'll check out those hotels too.

Bless you. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,019 times
Being that you're used to NYC, the best I can offer you to consider is:
  • Play close attention to where the poster you're getting advice is from (i.e. Florida?)
  • Florida is a huge state with diverse people from all over. It's also the capital of trendy, but (mostly) tacky. Generally it gets more "Southern" going North.
  • This means you need to figure if you'd be happier hanging at the Hamptons or Jersey Shore (as these are the people you'll be interacting with for your "nightlife!" )
  • Whole Foods in Florida are generally located in tony burb hamlets (away from the beach)
  • The more hip/educated areas are going to be more pricey for hotels
  • You will most likely need to rent a car (Florida cities are spread-out like LA), which poses the problem with partying and a DUI.
  • A lot of Florida is for retirees (i.e. Gramps place) and the sidewalks roll up by 9pm
My suggestions

If you want urbane fun with no car (but maybe a bike/scooter):
  • SoBe
  • Key West
  • St Augustine (take day trip to beach but stay in old town)
If you want cheap/cheerful (but scenic) w/ "lotto draw" on the quality of the nightlife (with a car):
  • St Pete Beach
  • Daytona Beach (Spring Breakers will be gone then as they're mostly in Cancun these days anyway)
  • Downtown Orlando
  • Naples
Remember to look at CVB, Visit Florida or Chamber websites in these areas for hotel/stay specials or promotions (including restaurants)! Also look at using Miles for hotel stays.

You can look up Whole Foods locations in these areas on their website.

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 03-28-2011 at 11:29 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
[*]Play close attention to where the poster you're getting advice is from (i.e. Florida?
Why oh why do I feel like that was directed towards me?

FYI despite the C-D login name, I was born and raised in the Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood area (visit friends there semi-frequently) and I currently reside in the Orlando area (where I had previously resided for 8 years) after researching extensively the Tampa Bay area where unfortunately I never was able to settle as a family emergency negated the opportunity. I've been back in Florida since December. So after all is said and done, I feel fairly qualified to comment and/or recommend things in all three metro areas as well as others I have visited while a longtime resident of the state.

Oh and by the way, three South Florida Whole Foods are well within an easy commute to the beach. The easiest is the South Beach location on Alton Road. The North Miami Beach location at 211th and Biscayne Blvd (Aventura) is quite close as well and the Fort Lauderdale location just south of Oakland Park Boulevard on US1/Federal Highway is pretty beach convenient too.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 AM

As a further FYI, Daytona is quite downmarket with the biker/NASCAR/trailer park/wet t-shirt contest crowd. I'm not embellishing, check out some of the Daytona threads on this forum. I'm thinking it won't be the image you're after. Downtown Orlando is kind of a yawn, fine if you work there but no one makes a special trip for the nightlife plus where's the beach?? Naples is best known as a place for the wealthy middle-aged crowd so if you're into cougars, go for it... and St Augustine is hardly a place for singles either with bus tours and family vacation-types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida