U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 9,198 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Me and my family are transfering from WA to Eglin AFB, come May and we are looking for an are to live that is not to far away for commuting and alos has alot of things for teenagers to do. We have 3 children 12,13,16. This is going to be a hard move for them cause we have been here for the last 13years so we are trying to make this as easy as possible.. also looking for an area that has a good middle schools and high school.

We are also looking for a area not to close to the cost for Hurricane reason and homeowners cost.....

Maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:49 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,644,704 times
It's a good thing you're starting to look now. With the Green Berets relocation this summer to the area, it's going to shortly be a seller's market in terms of buying or renting a house.

Schools districts down here are by county. Okaloosa and Santa Rosa County schools are both regarded as good by Florida standards; Walton County (which actually has nothing to do with Ft. Walton Beach and is one county to the east) is good for elementary years but still has some work to do at the middle school and high school level, IMO.

In terms of where to live, the north side of Ft. Walton Beach/Shalimar, Niceville, and Crestview south of I-10 are going to have the most reasonable commutes to Eglin by local standards. Hurricane surge maps for coastal Okaloosa- if it's not shaded, you're generally in a pretty good spot for insurance and such.

Severe Weather - Evacuation Zone Maps - Public Safety - Departments - Okaloosa County Board of County Commissioners

If you're looking at the southern part of the county, also ask your realtor for a map of expected jet noise from the F-35 project.

I'd probably say to look on the east side of Niceville and the Bluewater Bay development to start, and not just because I'm biased. (I live out thataway) You get a quick commute to Eglin's East Gate (but are outside the worst of the projected F-35 noise area) in the well-regarded Niceville High School attendance area, plenty of properties 25+ feet above sea level, and it's an easy drive across the toll bridge to the fun and beaches in the Destin area.

Your money will go further in Crestview in terms of housing, and it's improved a lot in terms of shopping and recreation options, but it's still something of a work in progress, and Crestview HS is seen as somewhat academically weaker than the more southern Okaloosa county schools.

This is an area that's still largely dominated by the military, and kids come into and leave the school system all the time. So it's not like they're walking into a situation where everyone else in their class has been there since grade 1.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,198 times
Thank You BeachMouse,, that helps me out alot.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM

7 posts, read 17,932 times
This (and other posts I've searched and found) helps me as well. We'll be moving there sometime soon.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,071 times
This is for once you are settled, but be sure to look into the Collegiate High School at Northwest Florida State College in Niceville. It is a charter school for grades 10-12. Since it serves the entire county, everyone there starts out "new" in 10th grade.

Welcome :: Collegiate High School at NWF State College

Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 871 times
Thanks for all the information regarding the Eglin/Hurlburt AFB area beachmouse! What do you think the impact will be regarding the upcoming possibility of privatization of housing on Eglin and Hurlburt AFB as far as housing for new incoming employees to the area?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,644,704 times
Considering they're been talking about the housing changes and how they're going to be happening Real Soon Now since about 2003, (Seriously. Or maybe it was 04- either way it was at least a year before the last round of BRAC) I think that people aren't going to believe the project is going forward until bulldozers are on site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida