Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

Deficit prompts Gov. Rick Scott to plan cuts to services for developmentally disabled - St. Petersburg Times

Interesting how his private plane trips don't get cut!!!!!!!!!! and his salary....he goes after the disabled? this is just too low class!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Well, I do have to say, as much as I truly detest and loathe the moron in the governor's position, he uses his own plane, and he's not taking a salary for governor. But only because he's so obscenely wealthy he doesn't need to and I think he likes to use those things to make himself look so much better than all of us commoners. Of course, we also have to remember that he doubled his own operating budget, had an extravagant ball, and gave the state heads that he appointed a 20% raise.

This particular topic is too emotional for me, I've been trying to type something for several minutes and none of it is publishable, due to the large amount of cursing. I will try again later.

Last edited by Maggi07; 03-31-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 AM

My middle son is Autistic...imagine how well this sits with me and how much this makes me "love" Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Well, I do have to say, as much as I truly detest and loathe the moron in the governor's position, he uses his own plane, and he's not taking a salary for governor. But only because he's so obscenely wealthy he doesn't need to and I think he likes to use those things to make himself look so much better than all of us commoners. Of course, we also have to remember that he doubled his own operating budget, had an extravagant ball, and gave the state heads that he appointed a 20% raise.

This particular topic is too emotional for me, I've been trying to type something for several minutes and none of it is publishable, due to the large amount of cursing. I will try again later.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
My middle son is Autistic...imagine how well this sits with me and how much this makes me "love" Florida!
I can imagine very well. My oldest died in 2006; she was severely disabled. My son is Autistic.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:55 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
This is an example of what I've been talking about for a while. The state just doesn't have the money anymore to fully fund these programs and cuts like these really dramatize our situation. I don't see how any of this can end well. Either everyone is going to be hurt, or there will be very intense fights over who gets cut and who doesn't, or we are going to have to increase taxes. There is simply no escape from the realities of budgeting. I wish we could see leadership across the board, though, where the cuts start with all of the senior/executive government positions.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM

That's awful, I am sorry.

Quote:
I can imagine very well. My oldest died in 2006; she was severely disabled. My son is Autistic.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 AM

WHERE exactly is the money? or should I ask, on what is the money being spent? because IMO "citizens well being" comes first and should be #1 priority together with education! everything else can take the back seat.

I could say....of course that "actors" making $13,000,000 or more per movie is a complete and total waste...but who is going to regulate that? nobody...just like the "Lottery" supposedly sends money to education, same "should" happen with the movie industry where a lot of money gets trapped in a few pockets and then you get a Sick Scott doing this in FL!

In the end, it is a matter of prioritizing and our Gov doesn't understand that word very well as their priorities are totally skewed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
This is an example of what I've been talking about for a while. The state just doesn't have the money anymore to fully fund these programs and cuts like these really dramatize our situation. I don't see how any of this can end well. Either everyone is going to be hurt, or there will be very intense fights over who gets cut and who doesn't, or we are going to have to increase taxes. There is simply no escape from the realities of budgeting. I wish we could see leadership across the board, though, where the cuts start with all of the senior/executive government positions.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
The economy is a wreck and property values have fallen dramatically. Lower sales means lower sales tax. Lower property values means lower property tax, not to mention all of the delinquent taxes. I assume tourism is also down because of the economy. We have a balanced budget requirement in Florida and less money coming in requires lower budgeting and cuts are required. At least in theory, all state spending is directed toward "citizen's well being." No matter how you prioritize, someone will feel shafted. More (or the same) for your priority means less for the next person's priority and I can guarantee you they won't share your view of the situation. Crist passed the buck, according to the article, because he didn't have the you-know-whats to do his job....typical for him.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I could go for a gradual rate cut in conjunction with what you say here..... cuts starting with the senior/executive government positions.

Slash and burn is not OK.

I am for a state tax, and do y'all know that most corporations do not pay taxes? None! My accountant has shown me the loophole. It's gaping. I have an LLC. I do not have to pay taxes on my income if I go about it a certain way. I choose not to do that because I consider myself an ethical person. I can tell you that most companies choose to bypass the taxes. That loophole needs to be closed.

This is clearly not a good morning for me to be making political posts. I will stop before I'm accused of becoming emotional and not making sense, which might be true in a moment.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM

Sadly this is true and TOO MANY people are taking advantage of it! HURTING the state.

My husband who is very knowledgeable as far as taxes/corporations are concerned told me this as well a while back...

Quote:
I am for a state tax, and do y'all know that most corporations do not pay taxes? None! My accountant has shown me the loophole. It's gaping. I have an LLC. I do not have to pay taxes on my income if I go about it a certain way. I choose not to do that because I consider myself an ethical person. I can tell you that most companies choose to bypass the taxes. That loophole needs to be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida