Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:05 PM

40 posts, read 119,193 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm reviving my old thread to add some more things to do in South FL (especially for photographers)

I headed over to Marco Island on the west coast and did a birding photography tour. Some shots from that day:

Mama and baby

Last edited by DivingPrincessE; 05-24-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:08 PM

I also visited a Wild Bird Sanctuary in Key Largo. It's FREE (though they do appreciate a donation from anyone that visits). They do a feeding every day at 3:30 and it's neat for families or photographers.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Then this past weekend we explored a random Fort Lauderdale neighborhood that about 20-30 wild peacocks call home.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249472_10150198225093118_674768117_6974302_839656_ n.jpg (broken link)

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226323_10150198225198118_674768117_6974305_1000613 _n.jpg (broken link)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247769_10150198225233118_674768117_6974306_5390188 _n.jpg (broken link)

Next on the list. Hawks nest with three babies off of 3rd Ave.

The rest of my pictures http://emilys.smugmug.com/

Old 05-24-2011, 05:36 PM

179 posts, read 565,898 times
[quote=DivingPrincessE;18549517]A while back, before I officially moved to FL (when I was just a frequent visitor) I challenged the many, many posters on here who said South Florida is –oh so horrible-. I was basically told that once I moved here, I too would hate it. Well guess what…I don’t!!

I’ve been here for over a year and half, and I still love it! I definitely do NOT think it’s boring, which was one of the main things spewed here. I have not been a victim of crime. I didn’t die from the overwhelming heat (it was actually hotter in DC than FL when I visited there in July). Hmmm, what else? Oh, I haven’t been rendered poor by the overwhelming high cost of South FL. I drive to work, during rush hour, on 95 and get from Fort Lauderdale to Miami in 35 minutes. The express lanes are a wonderful thing! I could NEVER have done that in D.C. I used to leave my house at 5:00 am, to get to work by 5:30 am to avoid rush hour in D.C.

Love Your POST!!!!!!!!!

Your positive outlook and truthful comments are so welcome in the Florida threads. And you are an accurate version, and current account of what new comers to Florida can expect to experience IF they so set their site of accomplishing these goals. You have to put forth the initiative to set expectation for yourself and follow through. You have to create your own happiness where ever go go. KUDOS TO YOU

Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I agree that contentment comes from within; time and time again I quote good ole Abe Lincoln, who said that most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.

We all understand that no place is perfect, and sometimes people just need a fresh start in a new environment with new benefits as well as challenges.

Five years in north Florida for me, and I love it. One of the things that people (with or without kids) can do here is spend an hour watching baby sea turtles make their way into the ocean.
It is a free (and priceless) experience.

So true, and so true is it that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Our state has so much to offer, and some of the most memorable experiences, are sometimes enjoyed for free., or at a small price depending on your preference. The beauty of the nature that resides with-in our state, is so vast, between parks, nature paths, places you can take kids for free. There's also the annual manatee gathering at the power plants, in the winter around Jan.-Feb., that allows the kids, to get up close to one of Florida's gentle giants of our tropical waters.
In the 80's and 90's raising my 3 children alone, I was working 2 jobs, with no CS. So I also didn't have a lot of funds for extravagant outings, I improvised.
I planned birthday parties at Boynton Inlet, grabbed a pavilion early in the morning did cook outs spent the day, back and forth across A1A, from the beach to the park. Kid's loved it, and I loved the way it wore them out!!
Once I bought a canoe, and we'd wade it loaded with food and stuff to a island off Southern Blvd, in the Intracoastal, and spend the whole day and we even brought the dog along .
This all cost nothing but packing the truck. That wound up being a regular spot to go.
Good times, can truly happen anywhere, (with the right frame of mind and good company.)

Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingPrincessE View Post
You're right I do not have a 9-5 job...I have a 12-14 hour a day job in law enforcement (which I love just as much as living in FL). The things I listed were not done after I got home from work, they were done on my days off.

I don't have kids, but most of the things done above can easily be done with children (and I saw families at the majority of them-cruise ships, butterfly world, lion country safari, marlins games, dolphin games, panthers games, winterfest boat parade, etc).

As far as it being to hot and sticky, that's all about planning. In the winter I do all my outdoorsy things (the zoo, the spring, etc) and the weather is absolutely perfect. In the summer I do indoor things and things on the water (scuba diving, pool, etc). It's easy to plan around the weather if you have enough interests.

Thanks Frank, I'll check the thread out. When I was here a couple of years ago researching my move it seemed like the ONLY posts I read were about how Florida was the worst place in the entire world. I swore to myself then that if I was happy hear I was going to return and say so.

Bravo to you again!!! Good come back post!!!

Anouther little saying, Where there's a will there's a way!
If people put at much effort into positive things as they do into all the negitive, they may actually accomplish something.
Glad you came back!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingPrincessE View Post
Then this past weekend we explored a random Fort Lauderdale neighborhood that about 20-30 wild peacocks call home.

Next on the list. Hawks nest with three babies off of 3rd Ave.

The rest of my pictures EmilyS' Photos | SmugMug
Very beautiful pics, keep'em coming, we enjoy your refreshing posts,Thank You!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:35 PM

125 posts, read 218,339 times
So glad you made the move and are loving it. Your photos are wonderful! I love love love South Florida - east and west both - my favorite places in the country. Ft. Lauderdale area has so many things to do, you'll never run out! Also really nice.... spend some time on Captiva and Marco- they're much fun, beautiful, and super for camera buffs. People are so friendly, genuine, and all-around happy. Great to hear your success story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida