Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times

Advertisements

Yes, thats true, income requirements have to be met. Usually not a problem.

Yep, been to a few group homes.

My question to you is WHERE IS THE $ GOING TO COME FROM if it's simply not there? That is where we are heading. To NOTHING. Something is always better than nothing.

The quotes you listed are great. Maybe those guys can fork over a few bucks to help the cause.

Seems everybody here has a beef against any kinds of cuts, but still can't tell us when enough becomes enough. What happens when the well dries up totally and then there will zip, zero, nada, nil. THEN WHAT?

Cuts in spending at all levels are needed and required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzpooch View Post
Uh, no. That's not true. It is dependent on the income of the parents.

So then the answer is to have everyone live in a state of grandeur at the cost of everyone else?

Breathtakingly inaccurate. How you ever visited a group home? Do you suppose it's better to just dump them in an institution or a hospital? Do you know how many disabled individuals are being taken care of by parents who are aging and disabled themselves? We're not funding spas here.

Hey, let's bring back death camps while we're at it for the "undesirables". They're just "a constant drain". God help us. I'm so sick of the Tea Party/Libertarian types who sound off like this but make no contributions to charities that serve these individuals, or volunteer to help overloaded families. The churches are never going to have enough in the way of resources. The only way to get respite and supports is to pay for them...not easy for these families who usually have one parent who sacrificed job or career to be home to take care of their child.

Proverbs 29:7
The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Isaiah 1:17
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.

Isaiah 10:1-2
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless.

Matthew 25:40
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I think the theme is pretty obvious. We will be judged as a society as to how we treated "the least of these". They weren't getting much in the first place and now they want to twist the knife even further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So then the answer is to have everyone live in a state of grandeur at the cost of everyone else?
A "state of grandeur"?
Really?
If the disabled are living in that kind of manner, then what would you call Trumps lifestyle?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM

I call it something he worked hard to keep.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I call it something he worked hard to keep.
that state of grandeur comment was disingenuous, to say the least.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
that state of grandeur comment was disingenuous, to say the least.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Perhaps.
No perhaps about it.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:16 PM

49 posts, read 180,067 times
[quote=Spring Hillian;18582866]Yes, thats true, income requirements have to be met. Usually not a problem.

WRONG. We are an average income family and do not qualify for a single thing. Whatever he gets is from school and that is very minimal. People don't get that if you spend the time and yes, the $$ to intervene at a young age, the greater the chance for employability and greater independence.

Yep, been to a few group homes.

So I guess you know they're not running a country club there.

My question to you is WHERE IS THE $ GOING TO COME FROM if it's simply not there? That is where we are heading. To NOTHING. Something is always better than nothing.

There is plenty of waste that can be identified. Starting with some of those fancy Sarasota art festivals. It IS going to cost something whether they stay in a group home, get dumped in an institution or not. Or would you prefer we just let them out in the streets?

The quotes you listed are great. Maybe those guys can fork over a few bucks to help the cause.

Well, that's the problem. Libertarians and unfortunately most Christians talk a good game of charity but actions don't back up the rhetoric.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
What's going to happen to these people? They have no place to go. They can't pull up their bootstraps and suck it up. They CAN'T.

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members" ~Mahatma Ghandi
"Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?"

"Many can't go there, and many would rather die."

"If they'd rather die", said Scrooge,"they had better do it and decrease the surplus population."

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:

Companies operating 100% tax free? Come now. You know as well as I do that does not happen.

Show me an instance where it does.
General Electric comes to mind.

GE: 7,000 tax returns, $0 U.S. tax bill - Apr. 16, 2010

Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Yes I know, I am also a parent of two normal kids....you're not getting it.....my normal kids doesn't need speech theraphy worth $900 for 45 minutes...you do the math as to what kind of salary one needs to have to afford THAT!

The problem is that people who should NOT be sucking to the Gov are allowed to do so and the ones who actually need Govs help cant get it because of those ppl!

There are parents who make too much to qualify for Gov services and to little to afford employer insurance that generally does NOT cover disabilities! what should they do? please do tell....

I would go to Tallahassee if I knew that those idiots will DO something about it like in France....Good Luck with that here! Greed Rules!

Quote:
Same situation a parent of a "normal" child would have and has without any government support of any kind.

Hey, if it affects you, drive up to Tallahassee and protest.

There are too many people tugging at the government pocketbook and the money is just not there anymore. That is the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida