Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I doubt any real factories will ever show up here. They may relocate corporate offices here to take advantage of tax laws but the only people they will employ will be the ones cleaning the offices for minimum wage.
Factories won't relocate here as a result of our geographic placement and transportation logistics for exiting finished product. Much the same reasons that popular stores such as Whole Foods and Trader Joe's have either limited or zero presence in the market (TJ's). Rather relying on Tallahassee and our joke of a governor to initiate campaigns to attract corporate/bio-tech business to the state, our counties or regions need to get organized and start competing aggressively with North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama. As someone else pointed out it's going to be a rough sell with our education funding, lack of commitment to transit planning/implementation, as well as overall infrastructure. In the end corporations think in dollars and cents and for now we'll have to win with tax abatements or something as novel as donated land and roads/easements. They're not going to just show up because we're the "Sunshine State".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:07 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Poll shows increase in Florida voters' dislike for Gov. Rick Scott - St. Petersburg Times

Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Q Poll: FL voters increasingly dislike Rick '4-letter word' Scott | Florida politics blog: The Buzz | tampabay.com & St. Petersburg Times

Quote:
Only 35 percent voters give the Republican newcomer a positive job-approval rating, according to the latest Florida survey of 1,499 registered voters conducted by Quinnipiac University.
Quote:
Also weighing on Scott: his proposed budget, which calls for deep cuts and as many as 6,000 actual state-worker layoffs. More than half of voters, 53 percent, say the proposed budget and its cuts are unfair to people like them. About 37 percent say it’s fair.

Almost half of voters say Scott’s budget cuts go “too far;” 16 percent want more cuts and 29 percent say the cuts are “about right.”

Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Got to admire a politician that refuses to put his finger up air to see what direction the political winds are blowing before making a decision. Sometimes it's easier to make the popular decision (ie increase spending) rather than the tough decision (budget cuts). But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
No doubt that fiscal responsibility is something that I value, and something that governments haven't been so good at recently, but my problem with Scott is the way that he's going about it.

Scott is needlessly divisive. I have no problem with trimming the budget. It has to be done, but Scott is trying to cut education while at the same time cutting taxes for corporations. It seems like his priorities are pretty out of whack.

Nathan Deal in Georgia campaigned on fiscal responsibility, but he has come in and tried to cut fat where it should be cut, and he has done a good job of listening to people and compromising.

I don't think anybody would say that the budget shouldn't be cut, it's just Scott's abrasive, divisive nature and his out of whack priorities that people (including myself) can't stand. Oh and don't even get me started on his ethic (lack thereof). I don't understand how he got elected.
Nathan Deal did nothing for me. I didn't vote for that one. I voted for Roy Barnes and I'm stuck with Deal. Deal was a corrupt congressman.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Factories won't relocate here as a result of our geographic placement and transportation logistics for exiting finished product. Much the same reasons that popular stores such as Whole Foods and Trader Joe's have either limited or zero presence in the market (TJ's). Rather relying on Tallahassee and our joke of a governor to initiate campaigns to attract corporate/bio-tech business to the state, our counties or regions need to get organized and start competing aggressively with North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama. As someone else pointed out it's going to be a rough sell with our education funding, lack of commitment to transit planning/implementation, as well as overall infrastructure. In the end corporations think in dollars and cents and for now we'll have to win with tax abatements or something as novel as donated land and roads/easements. They're not going to just show up because we're the "Sunshine State".
WF isn't in FL in many places because most cities lack the demographics they require.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Rick Scott is a giant *****...

Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
WF isn't in FL in many places because most cities lack the demographics they require.
That's a reason but not the only one according to WF staffers I spoke to. Distribution is quite expensive here and produce in off-season creates a lot of red-ink for them. The Tampa Bay metro can certainly handle more than one store and Orlando arguably more than two. South Florida could easily support a few more as well.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Cutting the budget is not a popular thing...Santa is more popular then the Gringe....

Look at parents who give their kids all the fancy stuff, then walk away from their home and not paying the HOA fee, default on the mortgage, don't pay taxes....but for their kids they are the best parents in the world...

Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Spring, if employers get tax breaks, they will use them for the newest BMW, not to hire someone they have to pay for monthly. Trust me, employers are not "desperate to hire"! ever......Technology has made it simple enough for many to work alone or keep it in the "family"!

hahahahahahahahhahahha (breath)...... hahahahhahah

employees make employers even MORE money.

It's best if you just read and not post............................... but do try to think................ it helps

Last edited by laidbackhippie; 04-07-2011 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida