Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:57 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Brazil is not a "Hispanic" country. They speak Portuguese in Brazil...Hispanic refers to people coming from the Spanish speaking countries.
Hehehe! I know this! It's just amazing to me how many people are really clueless when it comes to various ethnicities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 PM

64 posts, read 251,164 times
Thumbs up Great Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
You know, the idiots who put Hispanic under race on job applications, loans, any paperwork where they want to know this, are just that. Idiots.

I have personally, believe it or not, come across applications for various purposes and I will cross out and correct any that have their information WRONG!

Hispanics is not a race. It is a matter of ethnicity and that's all.

For example, I am Cuban. Born in Cuba. From Cuban and SPANIARD parents and I am about as white as white can get. I'm not anglo because I was born in Cuba but as far as race, I'm white - for better or for worse.

I'll give you another example. My son. Born in Peru - yeah cause that's where I happened to be when I was ready to bring him into the world.

What is his background? Born in Peru. Cuban/Spaniard mother. Father. Born in Peru. Spaniard mother and Sicilian father. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in time, one of the Italians on the my son's grandfather's side decided to "intermarry" with I think it was a Bolivian person.

What would you call my son? Caucasian (I would). Not Black. Not Asian. Not Native American. Mestizo is not a race. Mulatto is not a race. Hispanic is not a race. I highly doubt that his mix of Peruvian/Cuban/Spaniard/Italian makes him anything so special that he wouldn't belong in any of the legitimate race categories.
My father was born in Spain my mother in Cuba her parents were born in Spain.

What am I white? Why because i was born in the USA..my parents are also white why? they are not black, they are not Asian they are not native american.

I agree!!!!Also

Old 07-30-2007, 12:25 PM

Default This correct.

[quote=TriMT7;1171472]Hispanic country = colonized by Spain. That's basically it. For some reason, people have exploded the term to mean something more tangible than it is.

Brazil = colonized by Portugal. Portugal and Spain used to be one entity waaay back in the day, but if you call someone from Portugal a Hispanic (like my father), you are generally going to receive a hostile response.

There's actually a movement amongst Lusophone (Portuguese speaking) countries to designate their "Lusitanic" ethnicity. Spanish is no more "frequently used" in Brazil than it is in the US, although Portuguese speakers can typically understand Spanish because of the similarities in the language. Brazilians are often received coldly by South Florida spanish speakers when they say, "No habla Espanol. Fala em Portugues!"

My husband is Portuguese...He was born in France but his parents were born in Portugal...However they do say that that in brazil they speak a different way in portuguese.

However I understand Portuguese in full...To me it's not very different then spanish except for some words.

They also write down on the applications other...

People from portugal have also spanish names.... the way you know that they are portuguese? is that they have an s in the name.

Gomez is spanish in portuguese it's Gomes
Rodriguez is in spanish in portuguese it's Rodrigues

Last edited by forest drive; 07-30-2007 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest drive View Post

My husband is Portuguese...He was born in France but his parents were born in Portugal...However they do say that that in brazil they speak a different way in portuguese.

However I understand Portuguese in full...To me it's not very different then spanish except for some words.

They also write down on the applications other...

People from portugal have also spanish names.... the way you know that they are portuguese? is that they have an s in the name.

Gomez is spanish in portuguese it's Gomes
Rodriguez is in spanish in portuguese it's Rodrigues

The difference between Brazilian Portuguese and Continental Portuguese is basically like the difference between American English and British English. Because my father is from Portugal, when I speak the little bit of Portuguese I do know that I learned from him, it's with a "Portuguese accent." The word "ropa," for example, has a rolled "r" in Brazil, but in Portugal it's pronounced from the throat, "hropa." By all accounts Portuguese is more difficult to learn than Spanish.

But let's get it straight. People from Portugal don't have "Spanish" names... they have Iberian names pronounced and spelled differently! People from Latin America have Spanish names. "DaSilva" is like "Smith" in Portuguese. My lastname is a bit ambiguous, I get Spanish telemarketers and junk mail because of my last name, and many others think I'm Greek or Arabic. My American (Anglo/Irish) mother gets REALLY annoyed to get Spanish telemarketers because of her married-into last name!!

Any Portuguese person that puts "other" on their racial category is just plain ignorant, I'm afraid. It would be like an Italian person putting "other" on an application!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:49 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
Here's a good question: What would Indians from India be?

Old 07-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Here's a good question: What would Indians from India be?
HINDU....

I believe Hindi is the religion. Maybe it's the other way around.

I came back cause I looked it up.

Hindu is the religion and Hindi is the language. So I guess Indians from India are really Indians. :-)) Cool.

Anybody else????

Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Well for your info

[quote=TriMT7;1172517]The difference between Brazilian Portuguese and Continental Portuguese is basically like the difference between American English and British English. Because my father is from Portugal, when I speak the little bit of Portuguese I do know that I learned from him, it's with a "Portuguese accent." The word "ropa," for example, has a rolled "r" in Brazil, but in Portugal it's pronounced from the throat, "hropa." By all accounts Portuguese is more difficult to learn than Spanish.

But let's get it straight. People from Portugal don't have "Spanish" names... they have Iberian names pronounced and spelled differently! People from Latin America have Spanish names. "DaSilva" is like "Smith" in Portuguese. My lastname is a bit ambiguous, I get Spanish telemarketers and junk mail because of my last name, and many others think I'm Greek or Arabic. My American (Anglo/Irish) mother gets REALLY annoyed to get Spanish telemarketers because of her married-into last name!!

The reason for other is because where in the application is a section for potuguese??.....NONE

Tell me nothing about portugal ...I know all about them...

I am married to one..

And yes I speak full Portuguese and to me and others it is very much the same as spanish....

SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU....

Sorry that you would like to be part of the elite.

But I've been to portugal many times and it's nothing to write home about...

My husband agrees. Bottom line is your father my husbands father were once part of Spain that is why the names are so similar.

By the way when you ask an Irish or any other person that knows nothing about portugal...Do you know what they say? oh I thought they spoke spanish? yes dumb you might say... so I guess a good number of people are dumb then..Sorry dude

Get over it.....Your just like everyone else..... Rodriguez and Rodrigues is no different let's get that straight..

Being an American that should be your real argument..

Not about Portugal....And how you roll your R..... Who gives a Rat's behind....

Last edited by forest drive; 07-30-2007 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 01:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
HINDU....

I believe Hindi is the religion. Maybe it's the other way around.

I came back cause I looked it up.

Hindu is the religion and Hindi is the language. So I guess Indians from India are really Indians. :-)) Cool.

Anybody else????
Oh my, hindu....their country is as religiously diverse as ours. They are "Asian indians".

Old 07-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Oh my, hindu....their country is as religiously diverse as ours. They are "Asian indians".
You got me there and I've never heard of Asian Indians either.

Just tell me: what box?????

Old 07-30-2007, 02:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest drive

The reason for other is because where in the application is a section for potuguese??.....NONE
There is no NEED for a "Portuguese" box anymore than there's a need for a "French" box! SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU!

Quote:
And yes I speak full Portuguese and to me and others it is very much the same as spanish....
It's SIMILAR. NOT the "same."

Quote:
Sorry that you would like to be part of the elite.

But I've been to portugal many times and it's nothing to write home about...
What on earth are you talking about?

Quote:
My husband agrees. Bottom line is your father my husbands father were once part of Spain that is why the names are so similar.

Still trying to figure out what your *point* is? Spain and Portugal were once one country.... like 1000 years ago. So Portuguese people are just "Spaniards in denial?"

Maybe you need a lesson on the fractured history of European countries!

I mean, heck, Iberia was once a province of Rome, so I guess they're REALLY just Romans!

Quote:
By the way when you ask an Irish or any other person that knows nothing about portugal...Do you know what they say? oh I thought they spoke spanish? yes dumb you might say... so I guess a good number of people are dumb then..Sorry dude

Yeah, trust me, I know full well how many dumb people there are. Seriously.

Quote:
Get over it.....Your just like everyone else..... Rodriguez and Rodrigues is no different let's get that straight..

Being an American that should be your real argument..
I'm trying to figure out what crawled up your rear? I'm pointing out the differences between Spanish and Portuguese people, as well as their divergent histories in a thread arguing about the validity of the term "Hispanic." I am American first and foremost always.

Sorry but I don't want to be lumped with Spanish people if I'm *not* Spanish anymore than the McDowells in Ireland are "the same" as the MACDowells in Scotland. Any neither do many many many Brazilians. OR Portuguese.

If you have an inferiority complex you're working with, that's YOURS to deal with. Not mine.

Quote:
Not about Portugal....And how you roll your R..... Who gives a Rat's behind....
You talked about Brazilian Portuguese vs. Portuguese Portuguese, and it was an illustrative example of the difference. It's REALLY not my problem if you don't care, or just don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida