U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,962 times

Advertisements

hi, i am a 26 yr old young single mom with 3 little ones ..i currently live in the city of brockton ma, and have been dreaming for a few years now of moving to Fl, preferably FT Lauderdale, my dad lived there for 10 yrs and says it is beautiful,as i would love to be able to get out work and just take the kids to the beach and play...I am very nervous about taking this huge step by myself to state where most people arent originally from and where i know NOONE!!..I need advice on where to start. (SIGH)..i do hold a sec. 8 voucher but am looking to make a decent living (beauty and brains) dont want to live in the hood but would like to move somewhere where i can meet decent people, good schools, good work and GREAT football teams for my 9 yr old!(pop warner)??..PLEASE any advice will be GREAT, as i wake up and go to sleep dreaming of beng in the sunshine state!...what can i expect if i move here? hows the job market (office, secretary work)...is there lots to do with the kids? is it as great as it sounds? will it be a culture shock from up north? i am sooo interested in this i look up all types of stuff on my lunch break everyday but need actual peoples opinions on this...thank you Floridans for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:04 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,206,681 times
Florida's a great state, but sadly your post just screams of someone who will move down here with little to no planning, go broke, and return home. I know that sounds mean, and I'm sorry, but threads like this pop up all the time.

You say you're interested in Fort Lauderdale. I believe jobs of any sort are scare in Broward County, as well as Florida as a whole. I'm not sure how big of a culture shock it would be, since South Florida is full of people from up North.

Honestly, your best bet is to stay in Massachusetts for a few more years until things get better down here, unless of course you manage to get a job lined up before you come down. Florida will always be here. There's no reason to rush into moving down here without getting things worked out beforehand. It will only hurt you in the long run.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,459,694 times
Broward County is a nice place to live if you have money. The job market here is very poor. My husband is a lawyer and the last time he was hiring for an administrative job he received around a hundred resumes for one job. If you are going to move here without a job you should make sure you have money to live for at least 6 months.

I don't know if section 8 vouchers are transferable across state lines. You should check before you move. Beauty won't get you far here there are MANY beautiful women in the Fort Lauderdale area.

Youth football here in Broward is a strong point. No matter where you wind up moving youth football is very very strong (I have 2 football players). If you wind up deciding to move I can definitely help with youth football. But I wouldn't worry about it as there are many many strong programs in the area (not Pop Warner though). The only Pop Warner teams are in Miami but SFYFL and AYFL are very good programs with teams in many different cities.

I don't know what to tell you but I would try to line up a job before I dragged my child 1500 miles away. It will be a little bit of culture shock from MA but I think you can adjust to that. The job is the big issue.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:47 PM

6,436 posts, read 9,966,095 times
Honestly, there's not that many jobs right now in the Fort Lauderdale area. It's going to be hard for you to find a job if you don't work in the medical profession. I would conclude this is the fact for all of Florida. It's hard to get a job right now period. I would stay in Massachusetts with your current job and make plans to visit your father in Fort Lauderdale during the spring and summer breaks where you can enjoy the weather and go to the beach as much as you want and not have to worry about rent. That seems to be the most feasible option. It's what I would do.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,266,490 times
It does not appear that you have the resources needed to make your dream a reality. As this thread has told you, jobs are hard to find for everyone. You'll need day care for the kiddies while you are at work. Section 8 is going to put you in a limited housing situation. Living on sunshine while you perform your job search, which could take a very long time, is only going to put you deep into a hole. Yeah, it's beautiful in FL, but it appears that you will be going from the frying pan into the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frombostontoflorida View Post
hi, i am a 26 yr old young single mom with 3 little ones ..i currently live in the city of brockton ma, and have been dreaming for a few years now of moving to Fl, preferably FT Lauderdale, my dad lived there for 10 yrs and says it is beautiful,as i would love to be able to get out work and just take the kids to the beach and play...I am very nervous about taking this huge step by myself to state where most people arent originally from and where i know NOONE!!..I need advice on where to start. (SIGH)..i do hold a sec. 8 voucher but am looking to make a decent living (beauty and brains) dont want to live in the hood but would like to move somewhere where i can meet decent people, good schools, good work and GREAT football teams for my 9 yr old!(pop warner)??..PLEASE any advice will be GREAT, as i wake up and go to sleep dreaming of beng in the sunshine state!...what can i expect if i move here? hows the job market (office, secretary work)...is there lots to do with the kids? is it as great as it sounds? will it be a culture shock from up north? i am sooo interested in this i look up all types of stuff on my lunch break everyday but need actual peoples opinions on this...thank you Floridans for your advice!!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:00 AM

191 posts, read 566,896 times
I moved down here with my wife with no jobs but we found jobs in a week and we been fine since. you do have 3 kids and it can be challenging but don't let soembody hold you back if it doesn't work out u can always go back but if u never try you will never know..

Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 AM

15,213 posts, read 31,183,846 times
Just chiming in to say I agree with everyone here - you will have to research jobs, and try to line something up. You have three kids to think about, if it were just you I would be more inclined to say save up several months of living expenses and maybe come down and give it a try. With three kids you have to be more responsible and think about uprooting them with no job and no place to live and on Section 8 no less.

I do wish you luck. As another poster said Florida will always be here, stay where you are if you have a job, save your money and do some planning. Maybe things will be brighter down the road.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,817,809 times
As others have already said, please have a job lined up before you move to Florida or have at least 6 months to a years worth of income to live just incase you can't find a job. It's tough since you are limited to a section 8 voucher, have three kids and you don't know anyone in Florida to help you.

Sounds like you need a plan first. My best advice if you can't line up a job before moving would be to take the next few years go to school if you aren't already. Work one or two years in your profession after graduating in Mass, get that job experience under your belt first. Save some money those two years, and then try to get a job in Florida.

All that said, South Florida (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach) is the most expensive parts of Florida. You are coming Mass. so things may be a wash here for you. You may want to look into the cheaper parts of Florida which are in North Florida and the Panhandle for the most part. As for education from what I have heard Mass has a good education system compared to Florida.

As for what is it like to live in Florida, everyone here is going to have a different opinion, only you can say if you will and will not like living in Florida. I wish you all the best as you seem to be in a hard place right now. Go out the next few weeks and enjoy spring time in Mass it is beautiful.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:23 PM

499 posts, read 1,602,188 times
As a single mom on Sect 8, MA offers way more guidance and assistance to help you than what you will find in FL -- esp. w/ your kids as they age. They also have better schools and opportunities for college/trades and careers.

You will not likely find a rental near the beach that is covered by Sect 8, and will end up living miles away. (Although anything is possible).

If this is your dream and you're not swayed by these posts, focus on finding a job locally that has a location in FLL that you can transfer to later. This is probably your best/only option for making a new start and landing on your feet.

Also research how the culture/work ethic and values are different here in FL than what you're used to, esp. for your kids.

Good Luck!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 AM

509 posts, read 1,482,438 times
I agree with the other posts. I just like to add - there's nothing wrong with having dreams, but not all of our dreams are realistic at this very moment in our lives. Maybe someday you'll get here. I'd also like to add that Florida is not the paradise alot of people think it is. Its good you're asking before you take the leap. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida