U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2011, 03:06 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,397 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to FL in the next year from the west.

We have three children and want a great education for them. Grades 3, 5, and 8th and on to high school.
Our second criteria is safety, low crime rate and thirdly clear blue, turquoise color warm ocean water if possible. We can't stand the brown water with foam look.

My biggest question is where to move in FL. I've already researched and the Sarasota, St. Pete/ Tampa areas stand out. We are a bit overwhelmed without visiting them.
We drove from Fort Meyers to Cocoa Beach and we liked the color in Hollywood Fl but not the town. We are coming from 75,000 population and would prefer something in the range of 50-70,000 population.

We're looking for a 4 bedroom house with a 3 car garage with a pool /hot tub and maybe some land an acre or two plus, preferably a newer house.

We would like to be in an area with a low crime rate, moderate climate and preferably close to the ocean (west side).

Does any one have any suggestions on places that I should research further.

We really want to make an educated decision and the children'e education is really what matters at this point. We are both self employed.

Help us get out of the Cold!!!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 19,802,755 times
Reputation: 2907
have you checked out Martin County? Its just north of Palm Beach. I find the east coast oceans prettier than the west coast water. The west coast water everytime I have been have never been that beautiful turquise colors the east coast has. Those the Panhandle has the best sugar like beaches. Check into Martin County, you would be close enough to Palm Beach which has an airport, shopw, etc.

Not sure what moderate climate means to you. Typically the cold fronts seem to stall out just south of Tampa and Orlando. South of that point you can get 10 months of 80 degree plus days. Tampa/Orlando north gets a pretty nice balance in temps in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 PM
 
20 posts, read 42,818 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl5 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to FL in the next year from the west.

We have three children and want a great education for them. Grades 3, 5, and 8th and on to high school.
Our second criteria is safety, low crime rate and thirdly clear blue, turquoise color warm ocean water if possible. We can't stand the brown water with foam look.

My biggest question is where to move in FL. I've already researched and the Sarasota, St. Pete/ Tampa areas stand out. We are a bit overwhelmed without visiting them.
We drove from Fort Meyers to Cocoa Beach and we liked the color in Hollywood Fl but not the town. We are coming from 75,000 population and would prefer something in the range of 50-70,000 population.

We're looking for a 4 bedroom house with a 3 car garage with a pool /hot tub and maybe some land an acre or two plus, preferably a newer house.

We would like to be in an area with a low crime rate, moderate climate and preferably close to the ocean (west side).

Does any one have any suggestions on places that I should research further.

We really want to make an educated decision and the children'e education is really what matters at this point. We are both self employed.

Help us get out of the Cold!!!! Thank you!
Hello -

I had to chuckle while reading your post. The reason is that I thought it was something that I had written!

We are located in Colorado and we are looking to relocate to Florida. We are starting to do our research and plan on visiting the Panhandle area at Thanksgiving. Your criteria and home requirements are exactly the same as ours which is why I chuckled.

We lived in Palm Harbor, FL from 2002 until 2007 and then moved to Colorado. We really liked the West Coast of FL as it was much more laid back and definitely a slower pace. For this move back, we are considering the Palm Harbor area again, but more likely the Panhandle area (Destin) as we own several rental properties there. While we like South Florida, we want to still experience some change of weather like you get in the Panhandle.

Schools are hit or miss throughout Florida but it seems most of the larger areas have their share of good schools.

We are very sick of the cold weather and snow at this point in our lives (mid-40's with twin 12 year olds and a 14 year old). This is why we want to go back. In my opinion, the summers in Florida are more tolerable than the winters in Colorado.

Beware of high property insurance bills and taxes closer to the water. This seems to be offset by no state income tax.

I look forward to conversing with you and learning more about your potential move!

Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 AM
 
40 posts, read 59,642 times
Reputation: 41
Me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Reputation: 13245
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopsafe View Post
While we like South Florida, we want to still experience some change of weather like you get in the Panhandle.

Schools are hit or miss throughout Florida but it seems most of the larger areas have their share of good schools.

We are very sick of the cold weather and snow at this point in our lives ..... In my opinion, the summers in Florida are more tolerable than the winters in Colorado.

Beware of high property insurance bills and taxes closer to the water. This seems to be offset by no state income tax.

I look forward to conversing with you and learning more about your potential move!
Yes.
We too moved here from Colorado (for a variety of reasons, but one of them was dealing with snow from October thru May).
Of course, some people have the exact opposite opinion, but diversity is what makes life interesting.

We like the change of seasons here in the north, and it is nice to actually have spring, never really had much of that in Denver.

We spent almost two years in the Panhandle on the northwest side.
If the OP wants "an acre or two" I suppose this would be found in less populated spots.
For me personally, these were the most beautiful beaches and water I've ever, ever seen. The wildlife, both on land and in the Gulf, was incredible.
The sand was dazzling white, the water clear turquoise.
You really have to do your research with schools, some rural areas simply do not have the 'extras' that many parents take for granted. On top of that, there may be culture shock for those from a more cosmopolitan area, but I hear that south Walton County has some good schools with active parent-teacher organizations.

One opportunity that has been wonderful for our son: Florida's Bright Futures Scholarships
At the end of this month he will graduate with honors from Florida State University in Tallahassee.
We now live in northeast Florida, north of Jax on Amelia Island, a 5 minute drive to the beach.
There are canopy roads, and I like the Atlantic breezes.
Schools can still be hit or miss but it is not an impossible situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 AM
 
Location: Full time in the RV
2,867 posts, read 6,405,166 times
Reputation: 2420
Oceangirl what is your housing budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,229 posts, read 5,693,734 times
Reputation: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
We now live in northeast Florida, north of Jax on Amelia Island, a 5 minute drive to the beach.
There are canopy roads, and I like the Atlantic breezes.
Schools can still be hit or miss but it is not an impossible situation.
How is Amelia Island these days? I lived there for a year ( late 80s) while employed in the area. Back then it was still pretty mixed housing with middle of the road vastly outnumbering the luxury, but I could see a change coming. I really liked that area and hope it hasn't become just another million dollar condo canyon.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 04-16-2011 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 AM
 
15,190 posts, read 31,137,880 times
Reputation: 18359
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl5 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to FL in the next year from the west.

We have three children and want a great education for them. Grades 3, 5, and 8th and on to high school.
Our second criteria is safety, low crime rate and thirdly clear blue, turquoise color warm ocean water if possible. We can't stand the brown water with foam look.

My biggest question is where to move in FL. I've already researched and the Sarasota, St. Pete/ Tampa areas stand out. We are a bit overwhelmed without visiting them.
We drove from Fort Meyers to Cocoa Beach and we liked the color in Hollywood Fl but not the town. We are coming from 75,000 population and would prefer something in the range of 50-70,000 population.

We're looking for a 4 bedroom house with a 3 car garage with a pool /hot tub and maybe some land an acre or two plus, preferably a newer house.

We would like to be in an area with a low crime rate, moderate climate and preferably close to the ocean (west side).

Does any one have any suggestions on places that I should research further.

We really want to make an educated decision and the children'e education is really what matters at this point. We are both self employed.

Help us get out of the Cold!!!! Thank you!
Sarasota sounds like it exactly fits the bill for you with population in that range, on the coast with some of the most beautiful beachs in the country. Mostly low crime, it does have one "ghetto" area which is easily avoided. It's a small city with big city amenities, it is incredible to me what we have here.

Don't know your budget but you will have to get a little further from town to get that kind of land. If you research the Sarasota forums here you can get a lot of info, one of our posters is SoFLGal, and she is a wealth of information so be sure to research her posts.

St. Pete is very nice also, but is a LOT larger city than Sarasota - like about 5 times, and you will not get land like you want there I don't believe.

Lastly, Sarasota has great schools.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 AM
 
Location: Sarasota area
360 posts, read 1,727,681 times
Reputation: 226
I don't know where some people have visited to go dissing the SW FL Gulf Coast, but I happen to think we have some of the most beautiful beaches and water around the Sarasota and Boca Grande areas on the Gulf.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2011, 05:50 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Reputation: 13245
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
How is Amelia Island these days? I lived there for a year ( late 80s) while employed in the area. Back then it was still pretty mixed housing with middle of the road vastly outnumbering the luxury, but I could see a change coming. I really liked that area and hope it hasn't become just another million dollar condo canyon.
Well, a change came, and then in 2006-7 the bubble popped with a very necessary market correction.
No hi-rises here, it's still pretty sleepy on the northern part of the island.
However, we do have the Ritz-Carlton, and if they ever close the paper mills I could see this place becoming another Aspen or Sante Fe. I'm hopeful that a reasonable direction can be charted as the population grows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top