Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,664 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to Florida within the next year. I have been lost living in an inner city in Texas with ever so increasing crime statistics etc... I grew up in a very healthy, stable Christian family. I enjoy country music and southern hospitality. The reason I seek a bigger city is I look for employment and large social community events. Would strongly prefer a city in excess of 100,00 population, as I am moving from Dallas where there is a million +. I am very conservative and am somewhat close-minded when it comes to allowing liberals to advance. Not looking to be shoved into a small suburb aside a big city. I desire anglo-culture and traditional ideals. I understand the world is changing, but looking for a place in which will withstand the undesirable change for as long as possible. I am considering Jacksonville, Sarasota, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Daytona, Tampa-St Petersburg etc... With my liking for country music, I have been suggested Destin etc...yet I'm afraid such city is just not quite large enough to my liking. I am young..so I am not wanting to live too much amongst retirees... I am by no means am a yankee and grew up in a close knit, "redneck," family. Looking for a city..."which shares the same culture for the most part." I know I am asking a lot for such a populous city, but what would you suppose would be my best bet.

In closing, I am not looking to be chastised for my possible differing views, but as a psych major I understand it is human nature to desire to be amongst like-minded individuals. So serious replies only please and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 PM

114 posts, read 279,458 times
maybe you don't understand enough of the world (or even texas) to really know what you want. I work in san antonio and its far more conservative than dallas, yet its also not very white (anglo means english so i can't stand when people use it to describe all white people) the two guys i work closest too are both country music fans..one black, one hispanic...i am white and do not like country music at all, my hispanic wife is far more conservative than me although we are both questioning much about the republican party lately...seems many have lost their way. Being hateful and bigoted shouldn't go hand in hand with being a republican, but for many it seems to now. Inner city dallas can be very ghetto, if you think all hispanics and blacks are like that then you are really mistaken. i recommend you keep and open mind, you will miss some of the greatest opportunities of your life with your thinking

also: I really take issue with your using Christian and anglo only in the same sentence. If I have to explain that to you then you really need to sit down with your pastor and see what is going on with your heart.

Last edited by citizen000483; 04-15-2011 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 04-15-2011, 05:42 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nictoarmina View Post
Looking to relocate to Florida within the next year. I have been lost living in an inner city in Texas with ever so increasing crime statistics etc... I grew up in a very healthy, stable Christian family. I enjoy country music and southern hospitality. The reason I seek a bigger city is I look for employment and large social community events. Would strongly prefer a city in excess of 100,00 population, as I am moving from Dallas where there is a million +. I am very conservative and am somewhat close-minded when it comes to allowing liberals to advance. Not looking to be shoved into a small suburb aside a big city. I desire anglo-culture and traditional ideals. I understand the world is changing, but looking for a place in which will withstand the undesirable change for as long as possible. I am considering Jacksonville, Sarasota, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Daytona, Tampa-St Petersburg etc... With my liking for country music, I have been suggested Destin etc...yet I'm afraid such city is just not quite large enough to my liking. I am young..so I am not wanting to live too much amongst retirees... I am by no means am a yankee and grew up in a close knit, "redneck," family. Looking for a city..."which shares the same culture for the most part." I know I am asking a lot for such a populous city, but what would you suppose would be my best bet.

In closing, I am not looking to be chastised for my possible differing views, but as a psych major I understand it is human nature to desire to be amongst like-minded individuals. So serious replies only please and thanks.
Hey! Well I'm a fellow Christian living in Texas and have conservative views myself. Lol. I do NOT like over-imposing liberal views so I definitely know what your going through and can sympathize with you. I was born and raised in Florida so perhaps I can shed a little light on the situation over there. Well you should know that as par as political views go, Florida is not extreme at all. We're pretty much a swing state and political views don't separate us like Texas and California. We have liberals and conservatives living amongst each other and things are just fine in that aspect. There are people trying to change that but I don't think Floridians will be too keen on that and will shut them down eventually.

I'm not sure there's a city here that fits your views. I'm trying to think of one. I'm inclined to say Jacksonville, but it isn't exactly party-central or community-oriented. I didn't like it when I went. I'm thinking Tampa. Somewhere around that area. I'm definitely thinking along the lines of Clearwater, Brandon, and the like. Even though Clearwater is home to the scientology church, there's plenty of baptist churches too. And it's close to Tampa and all that you could want. Very anglo. Lol Good luck!

If you dont find what your looking for in Florida, I recommend Nashville, Tennessee! It seems to fit you perfectly! It's country, it's anglo, not that much crime, conservative, traditional, and full of community events!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
You're not going to find what you're looking for in Florida. Jacksonville's about 30% black, Tallahassee's too liberal, and the rest of north Florida (aka the part of the state that pretends it's still Southern) is going to be too small for your requirements.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You're not going to find what you're looking for in Florida. Jacksonville's about 30% black, Tallahassee's too liberal, and the rest of north Florida (aka the part of the state that pretends it's still Southern) is going to be too small for your requirements.
Not to mention full of retirees.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:07 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Anywhere in Northern FL, although only Jax is a big city. So with that said, I suggest Jacksonville. It has a rather large AA population, but what big city in the south doesn't?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Of the cities on your list, Daytona might be your best choice in Florida, but I wouldn't suggest young person move there. I think other states like Kentucky, Tennessee, Oklahoma, etc. might have more what you are looking for.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,319 times
Lake City. The Villages. Places like that.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 PM

407 posts, read 388,611 times
Florida is not for you. The cities large enough to meet your criteria have large minority populations. Salt Lake City or Boise would fit you better.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:18 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Florida is not for you. The cities large enough to meet your criteria have large minority populations. Salt Lake City or Boise would fit you better.
Correct. She has to head West making sure she doesn't get too close to Mexico or the Pacific coastal states. If you want to live in Florida, unless your a millionaire, you will have to be around minorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida