U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 PM

141 posts, read 291,460 times
Default Best house sun exposure in FL - which direction to face?

What would you say is the best dirction a house should face for good use of the sun? Up north we liked north-facing or east-facing to maximize sun on the yard AND have light inside. I would still want lots of light coming into my house in FL so would it be the same rules?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:01 PM

382 posts, read 682,004 times
I'm curious to what people say to this. In VA I wanted a south facing house, so the sun would do most of the work on melting snow on the driveway. Less shoveling for me.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,438,541 times
ALL my windows are tinted to shield the light from coming in so strong! It reduces the electric bill to cool the house. Why would you want to heat up your home more when it is 95 degrees outside? We have skylights that I hate. It must be 10 degrees hotter under the skylights. I decided to cover up the skylights. That made a big difference. My daughters rooms have no shade and it is so much hotter in their rooms! At night, even though the air conditioning is cooling the house to 75 degrees, their rooms feel like 80 - 85 degrees. I would not worry about south, north facing homes. We bought a house in an older community because of all the mature trees. The newer communities had small, immature trees, which allowed the house to bake all day long in the hot sun. I wonder what their electric bills are like.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:16 PM

6,424 posts, read 12,744,048 times
We don't really have a real rule of thumb like people up north do because of the snow. Most people in Florida are looking for ways to shade their homes from the sun. our windows are tinted to, to keep out the sun. We are close enough to the equator that it isn't a huge difference. I am guessing north/south facing homes will be cooler. And the East and West facing homes will be hotter. The rooms on the east side of my house are warmer in the morning because the sun coming up in the moring and the rooms on the west side of the house are hotter in the afternoon. The South side rooms can get pretty warm yearround. The only rooms that stay cool are the ones away from the windows and the ones on the northside.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:22 PM

817 posts, read 1,085,827 times
I'd say whichever sides of your house have the fewest windows, face those to the north and south. When the sun comes up and sets, if that light is hitting your windows, it heats things up and drives up your power bills.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 PM

458 posts, read 877,371 times
I would agree with previous posts that although winter sun is helpful -- it HURTS in the Summer months. Planning for shade trees is more important IMO than for sun (as it will also cook your garden and your power bills).

The best way to plan for sunlight in Florida is based on your lifestyle. And for this it would apply to your back yard, rather than your front yard. (Your back yard is part of your "living" area in Florida, and possibly most important).

For example, if you work, you'd probably only enjoy your house after hours -- so a house facing east would allow you to have what's left of an evening sunset on your patio or back porch (esp for evening enjoyment of a swimming pool).

A house facing north would allow you to have all day sun on your patio year round (most desirable for swimming pools and sunbathing). This is ideal for a seasonal home or if you expect lots of house guests for enjoying the Florida sunshine during the day.

If you're an early bird and like coffee on the patio in the mornings and the sunrise, then you'd want a house facing west (and watch sunsets from your living/dining rooms).

A house facing south is best if you have a green thumb and want an incredible front yard garden and a shady back yard in the summers (no pool, but maybe a hot tub). Landscapers find this exposure best for creating lush landscaping and outdoor patio gardens for year round living Florida is famous for. Large lots can have sunny pool areas at the very back.

Also, these are general statements and vary with the lot size and tree canopy (esp. your neighbors).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by daytonadewd; 04-16-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 07:39 PM

10,074 posts, read 11,012,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
What would you say is the best dirction a house should face for good use of the sun? Up north we liked north-facing or east-facing to maximize sun on the yard AND have light inside. I would still want lots of light coming into my house in FL so would it be the same rules?
I like a house where the back yard faces east. We like to eat outside in the winter and spring and a western exposure keeps us from having to look into the sun as it sets. It also keeps the pool from getting to hot in the summer since the pool is shaded by the house during the hot part of the day.

I would look for a house where there is as much shad over the house as possible. It really helps with cooling costs.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 AM

19,677 posts, read 15,411,261 times
Depends on which side of the house you want the sun,which ever part it is face it south and you'll get all the sun you want and more.
Personally i prefer the whole house to be under large shade trees.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:44 AM

5 posts, read 20,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
If you want full sun all day; then look for a house with the front facing north and you'll have it all day. Also the more windows the more light. It will pass right over the top as ours does if the house is lined up east to west... Take into account trees which block it. And you will want the trees;the sun is much more intense down here. When we lived up north I preferred southern exposure as the sun was hotter in the p.m. Remember; light entering the house means higher internal temps and much more A/C to compensate.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:46 AM

3,746 posts, read 6,894,120 times
If you're looking for a house with pool, I'm told by the experts that the best exposure for the pool is south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: