U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 PM

141 posts, read 701,193 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm transferring to the university of west florida this coming fall as a junior. I'm coming from Tampa, so I haven't really gotten the explore the pensacola area recently (I used to live there when I was younger). I'm kind of worried that moving to pcola might not be right for me. I've been researching the area constantly and all I hear are things like "the beach is great" or "it's a depressed area" or "a very religious city." These types of statements scare me (except the beach one ). Lately I've been having second thoughts about whether I should transfer to UNF in Jacksonville, as I have heard many good things. I really need some guidance and I really hope you all can help me! When comparing the two schools, which do you think is better, and why? How are the cities compared in terms of things to do, location, "niceness," etc. One question I can't seem to find the answer to is which city has more rednecks? (I'm talking about the mean ones). Where is it easier to make friends? Are the people nice in these two areas unlike the rude, disgusting people you encounter in Tampa, Orlando, SoFla. Any input is greatly appreciated! I need to make a decision fast!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Having never lived in either but visited both semi-frequently, given your concerns I would opt for Jacksonville. I find the people to be quite nice. The "redneck" population tends to live more on the north side whereas you'll be on the south side close to campus at UNF. The south side is the most desirable section of the metro area. The Jacksonville beaches are quite nice and way overlooked. UNF is coming on strong in terms of reputation and very well could be the next UCF in terms of growth. UWF meanwhile is lagging and struggles for recognition outside of the Panhandle. Unless you're an Environmental Studies or Marine Biology major, UWF will lack versus UNF in my opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida