Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times

Advertisements

WESH To Scott: Why Won't Fla. Join BP Lawsuit? - Video - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/video/27608346/detail.html - broken link)

Iin the first minute of this video he claims to have caught 26 Red fish, and that at least one of them was over 40"

Considering the limit is 1 fish per day, and nothing over 27" how did he do that legally?

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/chap...chapter=68B-22
Florida Saltwater Fishing Regulations: Florida Saltwater Fishing Bag Limits: Florida Saltwater Fishing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
First, you can catch as many as you like. You can KEEP one fish between 18 and 27" (unless the rule changed since the last time I looked. I don't keep them at all so I don't generally worry about the rules. Anyway, since I doubt he fished or dined alone, yes, I suppose they probably kept a few fish for the restaurant. I don't think we need to convene a grand jury.....geez.

He said 3 or 4 times that the state is going after BP as a state, not as part of some attorney's lawsuit. That makes total sense to me. I would expect the state attorney to handle this, not a private attorney who wants to get richer by adding more and more claims to his case. Adding a state to his lawsuit would probably guarantee him that he wouldn't have to work ever again.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
First, you can catch as many as you like. You can KEEP one fish between 18 and 27" (unless the rule changed since the last time I looked. I don't keep them at all so I don't generally worry about the rules. Anyway, since I doubt he fished or dined alone, yes, I suppose they probably kept a few fish for the restaurant. I don't think we need to convene a grand jury.....geez.

He said 3 or 4 times that the state is going after BP as a state, not as part of some attorney's lawsuit. That makes total sense to me. I would expect the state attorney to handle this, not a private attorney who wants to get richer by adding more and more claims to his case. Adding a state to his lawsuit would probably guarantee him that he wouldn't have to work ever again.
He also said 'we cooked them at a restaurant'. He didn't say he threw any back.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:

Bp has the resources to keep Florida in the courts for years at a cost to tax payers. Scott will be long gone and just a bad memory before Florida ever see a dime if anything from any law suits they would bring as an individual state. He just dumped it on the backs of the Florida taxpayers as if Florida doesn't have enough to do and we will never see a dime. Florida will have an impossible time even proving what their losses are. We would be much better served tagging along with the the people that were really obviously hurt. We are much better off in the background of a class action suit. Alone we can't even win.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Bp has the resources to keep Florida in the courts for years at a cost to tax payers. Scott will be long gone and just a bad memory before Florida ever see a dime if anything from any law suits they would bring as an individual state. He just dumped it on the backs of the Florida taxpayers as if Florida doesn't have enough to do and we will never see a dime. Florida will have an impossible time even proving what their losses are. We would be much better served tagging along with the the people that were really obviously hurt. We are much better off in the background of a class action suit. Alone we can't even win.
If Florida's claims cannot not prevail on their own merits then they shouldn't win, should they?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
He also said 'we cooked them at a restaurant'. He didn't say he threw any back.
If you really think he broke the law, I would very highly suggest that you get on the phone and ask the Fish and Game Commission to investigate it and report on it.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I am just astounded at the way some folks are so incredibly negative. I'd be willing to bet that, had the state joined this other suit, the same people would have been up in arms about giving the attorney so much of the settlement money when it was all said and done. You know those corporate types are in bed with the attorneys.

Florida is perfectly capable of suing whomever and certainly has way more power to leverage in a settlement than an attorney who represents a few school systems, restaurants, etc.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
If you really think he broke the law, I would very highly suggest that you get on the phone and ask the Fish and Game Commission to investigate it and report on it.
I'm not foolish enough to believe that his on air appearance would convict him, but there certainly should be a 'closer look' at what happened yesterday. Heaven forbid someone filmed him at the dock with his catch and thought nothing of it till this came around.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I am just astounded at the way some folks are so incredibly negative. I'd be willing to bet that, had the state joined this other suit, the same people would have been up in arms about giving the attorney so much of the settlement money when it was all said and done. You know those corporate types are in bed with the attorneys.

Florida is perfectly capable of suing whomever and certainly has way more power to leverage in a settlement than an attorney who represents a few school systems, restaurants, etc.
I feel we are in a "Bird in the hand" situation here. Florida did not even experience hardly any real definable loses that can be proven. They will just point to what they have already done, the money they spent, the people they employed and so on as having already met any real obligation. I can see a judge siding with them if it ever got that far.

Florida hardly has any claim, their only chance would be as part of a class action suit. It has nothing to do with being negitive, it is almost impossable to sue a big company and not be frozen in court forever. That is just the way it is. Scott is making a poor choice for what ever reason he has. Lets see what he does if we have a hurricane he will probably side with insurance companies against the citizens of Florida. Then when it is all said and done he will head back to Texas leaving the state in a shambles.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
If Florida's claims cannot not prevail on their own merits then they shouldn't win, should they?
Merit doesn't really matter when you are against someone who can just wear you out. And truth is, Florida has a small piece of this, we did not experience any real damage. We should take what ever we can get in a class action suit and run. On our own we can't even get what we do have coming regardless how small. We just lose and that is that. Heck, if we force them to have to defend themselves and don't prevail we will be the ones on the receiving end of a law suit. You can't just go filing law suits like you are trying to win a lottery. At best they may make a "take it of leave it" minuscule offer to make it go away but that will be it.

I was once involved in a suit and when we went into the judges chamber we were suing for $150,000.00. They made an opening offer of $10,000.00. My lawyer acted like we should take it he was so scared of these guys. I ended up with $75,000.00 and I knocked the lawyers end down to 20% before I would agree. He didn't do a darn thing to help win this case just file the papers. Even in the negotiations he had to use the copies of depositions from the other side because he didn't want to spend the money to get copies. He showed up so unprepared it was a joke.

Point is, they will offer Florida if they are on their own next to nothing. That is assuming Scott even peruses a suit which I doubt he will even do. The problem here is, having to depend on what Scott will do anything. You watch, later he will say the suit will cost more then it is worth and they are not going to pursue it.
Want to make a bet?
There is never going to be any law suit, ever.
By the way, this post will be on here for a long time, years, and there will be plenty of time to pull it back up again and show me to having been wrong. We will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida