U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,950 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am new to the forum and presently live in New Jersey

My husband and I we re considering relocating to Florida. We have vacationed there many times (Orlando, Davenport, Winter Springs, Daytona Beach) and we have family in Milton.

Can anyone suggest locations that are affordable, safe or crime, good schools and less hit by hurricanes?

Is it best to stay in New Jersey or to take the chance and move?

We presently live in a quiet more country or suburban type area. Lots of trees, people walking, kids everywhere.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 AM

6,612 posts, read 10,673,882 times
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you would be most comfortable in central north Florida, north of Orlando but not the coastal panhandle. Another region which seems to have a low probability of being struck by a hurricane is the northeast Atlantic coast around St. Augustine, but this region is relatively pricey compared to some inland areas, but certainly not as expensive as the Orlando area and southern Florida.

Whether it is worth taking a chance of leaving NJ depends totally on your financial situation and your relative prospects in the regions of Florida that may suit you best.

For example, are you retiring with a significant amount of home equity and a source of passive income (southwest Florida between Venice and Port Charlotte may also be a region worth considering)?

Or are you still working and must generate income in the local economy?

The east coast of Florida from Port Saint Lucy up to Daytona may also be worth looking at.

Florida is a big state and different regions require different financial and economic approaches, depending on what you want and what you can afford. Perhaps you need to be a bit more specific.

In any case, north central Florida and the northeast coast historically are least likely to be struck by a hurricane, if knowing that is a help.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 AM

8,204 posts, read 32,217,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firex4icex View Post

Can anyone suggest locations that are affordable, safe or crime, good schools and less hit by hurricanes?
Hi Firex,

Well, everyone is looking for the same things you are, but the reality is that you'll probably need to prioritize them.

What I mean is, if you want a place that's super-safe, it's probably going to be expensive. If you want to lessen your chances of hurricane damage, you might have to live in an area where the schools aren't so good, etc.

Central Florida, NorthWest Florida and NorthEast Florida all have areas that are affordable (relatively-speaking of course.....there's nothing dirt-cheap in Florida anymore unless it's undesireable).

There are safe and unsafe areas all throughout Florida, like any state.

Good schools? No one moves to Florida for our great school system . Coming from the New Jersey school system, you might be tempted to put your kids in private or parochial schools if you move to Florida.

The least likely area to have a direct hit by a hurricane is the NorthEast coast of Florida (Jacksonville). We do get hurricane force winds some years, and that can be scary enough. There is also no certainty that we will not have a direct hit in the future, it's just not likely. South Florida and all along the Gulf, by contrast, are much more likely. Really, the whole hurricane discussion is so tired that the moderators devoted an entire forum section to it....you can peruse and question to your heart's content there .

Old 07-31-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
St. Augustine, but this region is relatively pricey compared to some inland areas, but certainly not as expensive as the Orlando area and southern Florida.
Bale, St. Augustine has really come up in price. No, it's probably not as expensive as South Florida, but even inland in St. Augustine is on par with Orlando, Tampa, etc. It's changed up this way in the last couple of years .

Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Bale, St. Augustine has really come up in price. No, it's probably not as expensive as South Florida, but even inland in St. Augustine is on par with Orlando, Tampa, etc. It's changed up this way in the last couple of years .
Yes, I have noticed that lower-end prices in St. Augustine are at a par with Tampa, though in that end there seems to be a bit more inventory in St. Augustine (200k-225k area for basic SFH).

What combination of factors and in what proportion is behind this increase?

Is the Jacksonville job market that strong, for example, that it has become sort of a bedroom community for middle class white collars and professionals?

Wealthy retirees from outside Florida?

Credit-induced speculation?

Other factors?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Yes, I have noticed that lower-end prices in St. Augustine are at a par with Tampa, though in that end there seems to be a bit more inventory in St. Augustine (200k-225k area for basic SFH).

What combination of factors and in what proportion is behind this increase?

Is the Jacksonville job market that strong, for example, that it has become sort of a bedroom community for middle class white collars and professionals?

Wealthy retirees from outside Florida?

Credit-induced speculation?

Other factors?

Thanks
Exactly - St. Augustine is very much a bedroom community to Jacksonville, as is Clay county (Orange Park/Fleming Island). The majority of the working population commute into Jax for work each day.

The retirees have always been there, and they continue to come to St. Augustine (if they can afford to now). To retire and live within walking distance of the beach in St. Aug, you can pretty much count on spending $500K or more (and that might be 10 or more blocks back).

Houses for $200-$225k? Yes, you can find them, but they won't be brand new homes, they'll be resales in older developments where you'll be driving to the beach.

The biggest area of growth is in North St. John's county. There was a big expanse of woods between Jax and St. Augustine until fairly recently. The big national builders started to eye the area, bought out the small local home builders and bought out the land that local families have been holding and went to town.

Apparently, they built a little too fast, because not only are the big builders having trouble moving their oversupply, but they are starting to bail on their promises to these communities (schools, roads, traffic lights - these promises are being broken). St. John's is a small city, so they have a big fight on their hands going up against these national builders.

Check this out:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...87465199.shtml

All in all though, St. Augustine is a great city, and much of the city is unfazed by the problems going on in the northern part of the county. I lived there for a few years before moving to Jax, and I still have family in St. Augustine and I love the city.

At this time, whether it's St. Augustine or Jacksonville, I think the more stable choice is in pre-existing communities.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:36 AM

Thank you!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:11 AM

3,269 posts, read 8,927,437 times
Quote:
Hello

My husband and I we re considering relocating to Florida. We have vacationed there many times (Orlando, Davenport, Winter Springs, Daytona Beach) and we have family in Milton.

We presently live in a quiet more country or suburban type area. Lots of trees, people walking, kids everywhere.

Thanks for your help.
If schools are important to you, stay in NJ. If you do a little research on proficiency rates even at the best "A" rated Fl high schools you will be shocked. If I remember correctly 10th grade reading and math were at a 45% proficiency rate. Just terrible. If you can swing private school then FL would be an option again.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:24 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,966,017 times
firex4icex
Welcome to the boards
I moved to Jacksonville from NJ 15 years ago and I love it here.
There seems to be a bunch of us "jersey folks " here.
Depending on where in NJ you are, you will find the taxes much lower up here in the NE part of Fla than you will farther south.
I have a friend in New brunswick who pays $12k a year in taxes we pay $3k
You would have a great choice of homes in the $285k to $350k range.

I f you want to share more specifics, schools, what kind of job you're looking for and house price range we may be able to provide more details.

karla

Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 AM

207 posts, read 626,422 times
Quote:
Hello

Thanks for your help.
Hi, and welcome to the fourm

Hubby and I live in the town of Mims...actually, in the county...about 1 mile off I95. It's very safe in our area, and close to the city of Titusville...about 6 miles.

Also the commute to Orlando is very easy, if you need a big city.
Cocoa Beach is pretty, close as well. The schools here are very good
and hurricanes don't happen here often at all. A couple of years ago
there was one...forgot which one...sorry...but not much damage. Hurricans aren't the norm in this area. Most people that live in our area work at the Cape and some even commute to Orlando for their jobs.

If you'd like any more info please feel free to IM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or