Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

He would also need to compare the income taxes, property taxes, insurance, automobile fees, electric rates, water rates and just about everything else that money is spent on. The cost of living in the N.E. is much higher than FL anyday. I've gotten annual salary increases due to performance every year that I've been in FL and I'm basically an independent contractor. I guess it depends on what one does for a living.

Perhaps you should look at the national picture instead of focusing all your bad thoughts on FL...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/stran...ry?id=11325933

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
You might want to compare what you make in New Jersey compared to what you will make in FL........

Also, be prepared for your pay in FL to stay the same for years and years....wages stagnate here like no other place i've been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
COL in the NE is NOT ALWAYS less down here in FL. Rent where I am is the same here as in the city in MA I am from... Food is less there, car insurance is a LOT less in MA than FL. Apples to apples....

Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 PM

Really? I could not find one city in MA that is cheaper than Tampa as an example.

Cost of Living Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
COL in the NE is NOT ALWAYS less down here in FL. Rent where I am is the same here as in the city in MA I am from... Food is less there, car insurance is a LOT less in MA than FL. Apples to apples....

Old 05-31-2011, 04:08 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
He would also need to compare the income taxes, property taxes, insurance, automobile fees, electric rates, water rates and just about everything else that money is spent on. The cost of living in the N.E. is much higher than FL anyday. I've gotten annual salary increases due to performance every year that I've been in FL and I'm basically an independent contractor. I guess it depends on what one does for a living.

Perhaps you should look at the national picture instead of focusing all your bad thoughts on FL...

Economy: Will Middle Class America Ever See A Real Raise Again? - ABC News

I have family/friends in New Jersey, Massachusetts, and New York. Some of them have lived in Florida before and completely agree with me. They are WAY better off financially in the North East.....I`ll give you an example:

My friend owns a BEAUTIFUL 5 bedroom, 3 story cape that sits on 8.2 acres just 40 minutes out side of New York City in Northern New Jersey...he pays $8000 per year in property taxes.

My sister owns a 3 bedroom typical florida split plan ranch on a lot just big enough for the house to sit on.......less than 2/10ths of an acre, located 30 minutes west of Tampa......she pays $3600 per year in taxes.

If the cost of living is so much higher, and the weather is so much worse, than why do people still live up North??......

Us folks down here in Florida are probably just smarter than everyone else......right?...........hmmmm.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:20 PM

I have friends in NJ, NYC and LI. 2 people in LI pay $1,000-1,300 a month in property taxes. Friend in Washingtonville NY is paying $14,000 a year in taxes. Dont know what the Jersey friend pays, but I know its high. That's in Bergen Co. Friend in NYC pays much much less. My taxes this year here in Spring Hill were $1200. Granted, they do earn much more than most in FL. However, quality of life trumps a paycheck in my life.
Everybody lives somewhere. Its a matter of choice. Family, jobs, lack of
desire to live someplace else all factor into the equation.

So what keeps you here? Me? Quality of life, weather, recreational activities, life style.

I was born and raised in NYC and left when I was 30 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I have family/friends in New Jersey, Massachusetts, and New York. Some of them have lived in Florida before and completely agree with me. They are WAY better off financially in the North East.....I`ll give you an example:

My friend owns a BEAUTIFUL 5 bedroom, 3 story cape that sits on 8.2 acres just 40 minutes out side of New York City in Northern New Jersey...he pays $8000 per year in property taxes.

My sister owns a 3 bedroom typical florida split plan ranch on a lot just big enough for the house to sit on.......less than 2/10ths of an acre, located 30 minutes west of Tampa......she pays $3600 per year in taxes.

If the cost of living is so much higher, and the weather is so much worse, than why do people still live up North??......

Us folks down here in Florida are probably just smarter than everyone else......right?...........hmmmm.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM

Please give us an idea of the cost of living where you are. Income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, car insurance, home insurance, electric, gas, water.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotusnmt View Post
My parents & I are kicking around the idea of leaving NJ for FL in a few years. I currently live in a community 15 minutes from everything & the Jersey Shore, and would like to be close to the beach. I work as a massage therapist & think it would be good to be somewhat close to Orlando, as I believe I would have better luck finding work in that area, where tourists would be taking advantage of spa services.

I'm thinking of the Cocoa area..I like that it's on the coast, and admittedly I am a bit of a space nerd & like the idea of being able to watch the rockets launch, etc. But more practically, how is that area to live in? I would be looking to purchase a condo, preferably $140k or under. I am in my early 30's & would like to be in a nice safe area where there are other people my age. I have no problem working in a spa environment in a resort, but my focus as a massage therapist is also rehabilitative therapeutic massage, so I would also like access to sports/orthopedic doctors, chiropractors, holistic practitioners.

My parents are retired, Mom has arthritis that's getting tougher to bear during the winters up here, plus it's just getting too expensive to live. They currently live in a similar area to where I am now...Target right up the road, supermarkets, restaurants very nearby, etc. They are mostly homebodies, but would enjoy active adult community living, with most stores/restaurants, etc. near to them. They are very active in their Roman Catholic parish, so that would be important as well. The other thing is my mother also suffers from neurological difficulties & it's of highest importance they have access to a nearby hospital & a choice of good physicians in that specialty. They probably would not want to be far from the amusement parks since they have loved vacationing there (and if my brother makes the move that is likely where he will go, although we would both want to be close to them).

I appreciate any advice you guys could give me, thank you!!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Really? I could not find one city in MA that is cheaper than Tampa as an example.

Cost of Living Calculator
Those calculators are crap.... Real world is a lot different.

Example.

I am in Estero, FL. between Fort Myers and Naples. Where I work and live my 3 bedroom is $930 a month. Northampton MA, which is in WESTERN MA, NOT BOSTON, that is a whole different world out there.

Northampton is a GREAT city, Smith College is right there, UMASS is 20 minutes away... Camping, hiking, a real bike trail, etc. Where I want to be.

What do we have in Estero? Stores, and Naples/Fort Myers...BIG WHOOP.

1 Eastern Avenue – 6 rooms, 4 bedroom, parking, gas or electric heat, hardwood floors, close to downtown, available 05/01/2011, $1240.00 plus utilities.

Contact Joan at *******between 10:00 AM and 7:00 PM

Or Helen at ****** between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM

There is a 4 bedroom example.

Car insurance for me is HALF up there as opposed to FL, the ripoff insurance state.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I have friends in NJ, NYC and LI. 2 people in LI pay $1,000-1,300 a month in property taxes. Friend in Washingtonville NY is paying $14,000 a year in taxes. Dont know what the Jersey friend pays, but I know its high. That's in Bergen Co. Friend in NYC pays much much less. My taxes this year here in Spring Hill were $1200. Granted, they do earn much more than most in FL. However, quality of life trumps a paycheck in my life.
Everybody lives somewhere. Its a matter of choice. Family, jobs, lack of
desire to live someplace else all factor into the equation.

So what keeps you here? Me? Quality of life, weather, recreational activities, life style.

I was born and raised in NYC and left when I was 30 years old.
The sentence in red is how I feel about going back to MA, the quality of life for me up there outweighs anything down here. It's all relative...

Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM

I agree, it is all relative. Everybody has different desires, different tastes, different needs. I paid over 200 a month for car ins in NYC. Here i pay 90 for 2 cars. I could not buy a house in NYC. The prices are too high. i paid city, state and federal taxes on my income. electric rates were and still are the highest in the nation. A pack of cigarettes is over $10. Parking on the street is extremely difficult and garages are outrageous. The tolls on the inter-city bridges and tunnels are over $2.00 each way. The subway is like $2.50 a trip now. The winters suck, the summers suck, the crime is outrageous. So, yes, all relative.

Obviously you relocated here from there. Obviously it was pretty good there, quality of life, cheap car insurance, etc. Can you tell us why?

Quote:
The sentence in red is how I feel about going back to MA, the quality of life for me up there outweighs anything down here. It's all relative...

Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 PM

Really? I would think those calculators are based on the real world, what else would they be based on? I always notice that when someone here shows factual information that disputes personal opinion it is always wrong, crap, not real, etc etc. Pick any calculator on the web and they all sing the same tune. Pretty strange if you ask me.

Quote:
Those calculators are crap.... Real world is a lot different.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida