Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:47 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Hi there Dennis S,

This is your quote from just 41 minute ago:
"If it weren't for Northeasterners settling in Florida the so-called natives would still be barefoot."

How would you compare it to the your statement above?
COMPARISON:

Your comment, intentionally offensive.

My REPLY, jokingly DEFENSIVE

My northern education taught me the difference.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:48 PM

345 posts, read 976,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Is there any truth to this statement? Like many people who happily call Florida home, I've found the people who complain the most about Florida are New Yorkers! What are your thoughts, feelings and experiences about this seemingly unhappy group of "locals"?
I hate to stereotype anyone in one way or another. My wife is originally from New York as are her parents, all very nice people whom I'm glad I've married into their family.

However, with that being said, I guess the issue I have with New Yorkers (especially, for some reason, those coming from Long Island) is that despite the fact they have moved to Florida, many of them love to talk on and on about how much better things are in New York and how everything that is great comes from New York. (I've heard some complain that unless a Chinese Restaraunt is "New York style," it is no good. This just blows my mind--isn't Chinese food supposed to be, you know, Chinese?) Nor do I understand why the South Florida Sun-Sentinel must have a "Tri-State Report" (read: NY, NJ and CT) in the front section of its newspaper.

The thing is, I don't think this is the case with all transplants. People from Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Ohio, Maryland, or other states that come to Florida for the most part don't have a problem assimilating into their new state. They move here and appreciate the state they are moving to and don't go on and on about how their old state is better.

And even the people from New York state (as opposed to the New York City metro area) like Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, etc. aren't that way. This is merely a phenomenon for people who live in the NYC metro area.

Again, I hate to stereotype because I know there are a good deal of NYers who are not like this. But there are also a lot of NYers who are like this, a lot.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:49 PM

396 posts, read 399,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I just think it's idiotic to lump New Yorkers into one negatively characterized group, just as it is to lump all southerners into one group.
You may benefit from reading a few responses up where I clearly and explicitly state that in my experience Upstate New Yorkers seemed to complain less than those from New York City. I said those to prove my point that not all New Yorkers are alike. But, it seems I may have hit the nail on the head and I apologize to you as offense was not meant. It is simply an observation I have made through my experience living in Florida.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
This topic is probably not a good idea. It appears to be causing a lot of flaming. I am going to close it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: