U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
My family consists of me, my wife, 18 month old boy, and mother-in-law (who currently is a tennis instructor). I have a patent and trademark law practice, that I will move from New England down to FL. My wife currently works at a university as a community outreach coordinator, but will probably want to work only part-time if we move. We are considering Sarasota. Anyone have thoughts about Sarasota for our family? Thanks.
I live with my family in Sarasota. I work as Realtor, so be careful ;-).
Sarasota has very good schools and lots of things to do with the kids.
I just love it here. Let me know if you need more information.

I have seen there is an open position at the IMG tennis school in Bradenton.
Maybe something for your mother in law?

Wish you luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,099 times
Default Hello--also relocating

My family and I are thinking of moving down to the Poinciana area,,from Southern Calif.,,due to all the high cost of housing. We do have family in the area,,and we work in the medical field,need to have a good public high school close,and a safe and family oriented neighborhood,,,do you know if Poinciana would meet our expectations?

Unread 03-24-2012, 08:11 AM

10,667 posts, read 9,525,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinofborg View Post
My family and I are thinking of moving down to the Poinciana area,,from Southern Calif.,,due to all the high cost of housing. We do have family in the area,,and we work in the medical field,need to have a good public high school close,and a safe and family oriented neighborhood,,,do you know if Poinciana would meet our expectations?
Poinciana would not meet your criteria. Crime is a concern from what I have read on this forum and the schools are not good (ranked 3 out of 10 on GreatSchools). If you want someplace in close proximity to Poinciana that's affordable, safe/family-friendly and has some good schools check out Winter Haven. It has some very good public schools and easy access to other towns in the area, such as Lakeland which is one of the faster growing cities in the state. ell_vp6_brain (Winter Haven video)

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:10 AM

378 posts, read 362,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
We toured Florida 3x in the past 15 months and have similar circumstances. 4 kids, need good public schools. We decided on southwest Florida and now landed a job in Naples and will be moving to the area in 2 months or so. Area is stunningly beautiful, close to everything and more affordable than its been in many years. Good luck to you.
When my kid was in school in the northeast before I moved to FL he was in private school because the public schools were a mess. I moved to SW FL and the only private school was Baptist. I enrolled him but later transferred him to public school after finding out how much better they were from the northeast. He's about to graduate from Law school so I guess he turned out OK.

There are areas is SW FL and other areas in FL that have safe good schools, it's different than NE US big cities. The area from Naples north to Sarasota has made more best places lists in the last 9 months than anywhere else in FL. The challenge will finding suitable employment.

Unread 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM

10,667 posts, read 9,525,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
When my kid was in school in the northeast before I moved to FL he was in private school because the public schools were a mess. I moved to SW FL and the only private school was Baptist. I enrolled him but later transferred him to public school after finding out how much better they were from the northeast. He's about to graduate from Law school so I guess he turned out OK.

There are areas is SW FL and other areas in FL that have safe good schools, it's different than NE US big cities. The area from Naples north to Sarasota has made more best places lists in the last 9 months than anywhere else in FL. The challenge will finding suitable employment.
There is a very outdated theory that Florida schools are somehow behind the rest of the country. An independent study just dropped the state out of the Top 10 (down to 12th) because of our freak Governor's massive education budget cuts and apparently as a result we're next to last (49th) on per-pupil expenditures. For the record the interchangeable top three districts in the state (all virtually tied) were St Johns County (St Augustine), Brevard County (Melbourne area) and Escambia County (Destin area).

Unread 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM

4,246 posts, read 7,203,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For the record the interchangeable top three districts in the state (all virtually tied) were St Johns County (St Augustine), Brevard County (Melbourne area) and Escambia County (Destin area).

Correction- Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area is Okaloosa County. Escambia County/Pensacola has a few good school options but is largely a mess.

Unread 03-27-2012, 08:41 AM

1,939 posts, read 1,099,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king91274 View Post
Thinking of relocating to Florida from NYC. Tired of the hustle and bustle of NYC. I have four children ages 4 months, 6 year, 11 year and 13 year who go to catholic school at present. They are honor roll children, very smart. We are looking for great public school school system from preschool to high school. Nice family oriented area, easy commute to work, shops and kids entertainment. We want to purchase a home our budget is 175k tops. We don't want to move from this ghetto to another. School system is very important to us, but we will be unable to pay for private school if we move. Thank you for all your help.
I'd look elsewhere. Come here when you retire. There are much better career/family places to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida