U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM

41 posts, read 173,679 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Florida from NYC. Tired of the hustle and bustle of NYC. I have four children ages 4 months, 6 year, 11 year and 13 year who go to catholic school at present. They are honor roll children, very smart. We are looking for great public school school system from preschool to high school. Nice family oriented area, easy commute to work, shops and kids entertainment. We want to purchase a home our budget is 175k tops. We don't want to move from this ghetto to another. School system is very important to us, but we will be unable to pay for private school if we move. Thank you for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 PM

114 posts, read 241,532 times
We toured Florida 3x in the past 15 months and have similar circumstances. 4 kids, need good public schools. We decided on southwest Florida and now landed a job in Naples and will be moving to the area in 2 months or so. Area is stunningly beautiful, close to everything and more affordable than its been in many years. Good luck to you.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 PM

469 posts, read 1,171,581 times
We need more info. Because "florida" is very DIVERSE. (Example- the panhandle resembles more alabama/georgia and south florida is a mix of tropics + latin america). Central florida is a mixed bag. Do you want to be near the coast- do you have a job- family?!? I lived in weston (south) and now I'm in melbourne (central). Pros and cons to both. I like that the brevard county schools are good all around (k-hs). Whereas in broward it was sketchy. Although your budget will go a lot further in central florida and above than in south.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:19 PM

7,647 posts, read 16,029,989 times
How are you going to support yourselves? That's the first question before people can start to offer up answers.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,990 times
I too,would recommend Naples.It's a nice family friendly city with a nice catholic influence with lots of shops and a nice school system.But it can be a little expensive as well.And the things to do there would depend on what you like.If you like shopping,golfing,fishing,boating,etc,then you'll love it.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM

944 posts, read 1,446,596 times
My family consists of me, my wife, 18 month old boy, and mother-in-law (who currently is a tennis instructor). I have a patent and trademark law practice, that I will move from New England down to FL. My wife currently works at a university as a community outreach coordinator, but will probably want to work only part-time if we move. We are considering Sarasota. Anyone have thoughts about Sarasota for our family? Thanks.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM

793 posts, read 2,210,955 times
Seminole County has good schools and homes in your price range.

Just placed an offer on a home in Orange County around the Waterford Lakes area for a couple relocating from LA and their criteria fit your basic plus a bit more, take a look around there.

Also Look at the Lake Nona area, shopping is currently a bit of a struggle but that will be changing soon.

Hope this helps,

Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 7,734 times
Default hmmmm.

When I was 10 i moved to Tampa Florida from a suburb of Toledo Ohio. We lived in the New Tampa section and I attended Benito Middle School until I moved back to ohio when i was almost 13. I HAAAAATED Tampa. The End. I basically grew up with cornfields then was uprooted to the center of diversity. I lived in 1 of the 3 gorgeous gated community type neighborhoods. but if you stepped outside of that you had the low income housing/ aparments which were predominantly hispanic and african american which was a huge culture shock for me. I think florida has lowered standards in general. It seems like all the whack jobs in america come right out of florida. The public schools in tampa suck as well. maybe not in terms of acedemics (although im pretty sure they do) but it is so hard to make friends as a translant. Ever seen Mean Girls? Its pretty darn close to that. As far as catholic schools.. I can't attest to their acedemics, but I had several friends attend Magnet Schools which are specialty schools for things like preforming arts, etc. I'm sure you can find those in other locations as well. The biggest rule of real estate is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! I'm telling you Tampa is not where you want to be.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,182,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kally90 View Post
The public schools in tampa suck as well. maybe not in terms of acedemics (although im pretty sure they do) but it is so hard to make friends as a translant. Ever seen Mean Girls? Its pretty darn close to that. As far as catholic schools.. I can't attest to their acedemics, but I had several friends attend Magnet Schools which are specialty schools for things like preforming arts, etc.
I'm calling BS, simply because that's an absurd statement in a state where--what--like two-thirds of the population is from somewhere else. And trust me, Catholic schools like to come off as better and more civilized than public schools, but they're not.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 PM

4,158 posts, read 7,888,706 times
Seminole County right outside Orlando has a great schools and many districts in your price range. If I had to be more specific I would suggest Altamonte Springs where you can find a nice 3 or 4 bedroom in your price range in a nice middle class area. Schools (Lake Brantley HS district) are top notch from elementary to high school. I reccomend this area mostly for bang for the buck, good size home in good area with many conveniences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida