U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times

Advertisements

First of all, I wasn't attacking anybody. I posted a general response to the threads contents, not only what you had posted, but the thread in general. Please don't take it personally.

I don't think that the OP is going to find what they want where they want on the budget they want. However, Orlando would be a good option to investigate further.

I am not here to offer solutions, perhaps to offer other alternatives besides "No, you won't make it". I am here to opine in a broader more open minded way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Um, I never said that. You might want to carefully read over the thread and see who did.

What untrue situations? I don't lie so unless you've confused me with someone else, again, I want to know what you consider untrue.

You might want to take a trip over to the Fort Myers/Cape Coral forum where I tirelessly champion the area, much to the chagrin of several people.

I am almost always positive, but in this instance it is probably not going to be a good idea to move. In fact, moving with that little money is going to be difficult in most situations, no matter where they go. Unless they can move to an area with low cost of living that can assist their child and treat their health issues, it is probably not going to be cost effective.

And have you offered up solutions? Do you know of a school system that would be great for the child? How about a doctor or hospital that specializes in their issues?

In other words, offer solutions not attacks on people that didn't even write what you claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,513,677 times
I will say that Lee County has a pretty crappy school program called "School choice" You pick schools you may think are what you want the child to go to, then sit and PRAY you get one of your firts 1-2 choices or they get sent to some school half way across the county.

You want to live near the beach? Naples is too expensive and highly overrated.... Estero, where I live until I leave FL in 8 months has a GREAT small townish feeling. Of all my 18 years here, and 7 cities I lived in, this is the best place I(ME, MYSELF) have lived. We are 30 minutes from the beach. No there is no salt air smell unless you are right on the beach.

Allergies? Well I had them up north in the spring, I came here, I have them as bad or a little worse. I also have minor asthma the doctor told me that comes on when it is really humid(8 months out of 12 down here). My first 2 years here I was in shock because I had no allergies, but soon that was all blown out of the water when I got some of the worst in my life down here.

Car insurance.... Horribly overpriced in FL. Higher than a lot of the northeast states. Why? Underinsured, UNINSURED motorists.

Housing costs are the same for me here as they are in MA. Food is the same.

Heat... I am probably one of the most notorious on CD for hating it here from April until November. I absolutely HATE the heat here, it is terrible for someone who has to be outside in it for a good part of the day like me. The tradeoff for lack of vitamin D, is skin cancer down here...LOL. I am the same here as people up north, stuck inside for months. Go out to do things in the early morning or at dusk... i hate the heat here with all my heart. Enough said.

Vacationing here is NOT living here, sorry, but that is the truth.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 AM

2,863 posts, read 6,384,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

-The care, in general, is geared for retirees since that is the predominant population here.
I said this. Don't worry SH, I don't take it personally that you disagree.

Let me explain.

The OP is talking about moving to my town. She listed, among other things, that her child has special medical needs.

I work in health care. A few months ago one of the two hospitals that accepts kids closed their pediatric department. A month or so before that the only pediatric surgeon moved away. This means your kid has to be shipped out of town, even for "simple" surgeries. Sad but true.

It is supply and demand. Fewer kids means less need for pediatric services.

My kid went through four pediatricians before she was 18. Two moved away, one was nutty and she aged out of the last one.

Only the OP can decide how much weight to give this issue.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 PM

179 posts, read 480,220 times
Look into Englewood, Fl. check out the area, pretty laid back, but everything is handy. And it runs at a slower pace than the east coast. Schools are close.
Good Luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or