Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2006, 11:08 AM

40 posts, read 177,337 times

Advertisements

I have heard that the Oviedo area is a nice area (good schools, low crime, close to Orlando for good jobs), does anyone have any input? Also, what about some of the neighboring towns like, Waterford, Geneva, Winter Park, or Winter Springs.

P.S. We don't like housing that is so close to each other that if feels cluttered, natural landscaping and trees would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 15,554 times
I lived in Oviedo for several years. It's a nice town - definitely has grown. Some of the older communities might be what you are looking for, as they have larger lot sizes. Geneva is definitely more "old Florida" - much more rural. Waterford Lakes is a major bedroom community. Winter Springs is a bit more established, but I'm not impressed with their crime stats as of late.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:57 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,984 times
Waterford Lakes is really in east Orange County but is a really nice area. We moved to the Waterford Lakes area from Winter Park and love it.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:20 AM

207 posts, read 685,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander View Post
I have heard that the Oviedo area is a nice area (good schools, low crime, close to Orlando for good jobs), does anyone have any input? Also, what about some of the neighboring towns like, Waterford, Geneva, Winter Park, or Winter Springs.

P.S. We don't like housing that is so close to each other that if feels cluttered, natural landscaping and trees would be nice.

Hi......You should check out the Mims area. It's not far from Oviedo...about 15 minutes. It's semi rural. and the area we live in is beautiful. We're from CA, and wanted something like you mentioned....low crime, not much traffic, and homes that aren't built on top of each other.
The sub-division we live in is called Fawn Lake...beautiful.
All homes have at least 1 acre of land. Some homes have swimming pools and the prices are 300 t0 400k. There are about 300 homesites here...not all of which have been built upon...Check it out.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:10 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,636,414 times
If you decide to live in Oviedo,the Carillon area and areas along McCullough are nice, I found in general people in those areas are hard working, middle class families. Most of the homes there too in those areas are very nice and well kept up. As far as Geneva goes, it is old Florida. Seminole Woods in Geneva is very nice and has many high end homes with people of notarity who have lived or currently living there. There are about 250 lots and each over 5 acres in that area with a guard gated entrance. It looks fairly impressive. This was my old neighborhood. That neighborhood though inparticular feeds into Jackson Heights and Oviedo High. I was not impressed with the buildings par say or by the dress code, they let the kids about where anything they wanted, very liberal. They say the education is good however if you are paying taxes and you have kids, I can see why parents would want to send them to the newer facilities. The little elementary as well on 1st street is in need of having some nicer things. I always felt that Geneva kids were overlooked as far as having a nice facility while the kids in town got the better things. Living there too, it is on the fringe on a big city so you have the opportunity to live out but be able to have city convinence of a few miles. Oviedo Marketplace is nice however I never liked going on the weekends, I always saw unruly teens waiting to go to the movies or climbing on the play structures. However compared to other malls, I would say Oviedo Marketplace is much nicer than Altamonte Springs or the one in Sanford. It is very nicely maintained and kids are at most malls aren't they?
I was never a fan of downtown Oviedo and I understand there has been a lot of politicing going on concerning if they should rennovate or not. I am not sure what is the status of First Baptist moving out to a larger facility but I know there was talk of a park? There is a lot of politics that go one and not much accomplished. I would tell you too, that is a pity because that downtown would be a jewel if they did indeed try to fix it up.
Oviedo has a very small town atmosphere for the most part when it comes to the city counsel, the chamber and churches. Very much a southern town and there are pros and cons to living there to that. I think I would have loved living there a tad bit more if we had felt a bit more welcome. Not to say we did not meet and find great friendships, we did but there was so many people there who were not as nice. I found though that once you made a friend, they are yours for life there. They don't fade away. We had a hard time fitting in because we chose to live out and live in a neighborhood where the lots were so big, you were isolated from your neighbor. I know we would have been happier in town if we had moved to an neighborhood where people were like us, a family with 2 small kids. We though chose a high end neighborhood and I can tell you that there were lots of issues and chose to be recluse because of the fightening that was going on. There were quite a few strong personalities in our old neighborhood, however there were nice ones.

You asked about Winter Springs, Winter Springs has a nice area called Tuskawilla. I love Tuskawilla and wish we had chosen that area. It is very lovely through there. Socio economically, more middle to upper middle class homes. There are some homes too in their that are on some nice size lots.

Good luck, I hope you find what your looking for.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Oviedo

Thanks you for the information.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Thanks for the information

Good to hear other people's POV

===========================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
I lived in Oviedo for several years. It's a nice town - definitely has grown. Some of the older communities might be what you are looking for, as they have larger lot sizes. Geneva is definitely more "old Florida" - much more rural. Waterford Lakes is a major bedroom community. Winter Springs is a bit more established, but I'm not impressed with their crime stats as of late.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,529 times
I moved to Oviedo 7 months ago. I really like the area, the people, the sunshine. The High School is
excellent. It is on the top l00 place to live! My concern is the WATER. The city water has a horribe
smell.

There are many companies that will test the water and sell you a whole house
system. I took for granted the Long Island water. I wish there was something we could do. As it is not safe for all of our families to be drinking or bathing in! Any Suggestions? Any politicians out there?

Berni

Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,806,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinenow View Post
I moved to Oviedo 7 months ago. I really like the area, the people, the sunshine. The High School is
excellent. It is on the top l00 place to live! My concern is the WATER. The city water has a horrible
smell.

There are many companies that will test the water and sell you a whole house
system. I took for granted the Long Island water. I wish there was something we could do. As it is not safe for all of our families to be drinking or bathing in! Any Suggestions? Any politicians out there?

Berni
Florida has a history of Sulfer water, once upon a time it was really bad. I'd suggest getting a whole house water filtration. they will run about $1500. but you might make sure the you have a filter in front of it to prolong its life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida