Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times

Advertisements

Clearly they want riots. Cutting the social safety net when people need it the most. Idiots.

Florida to cut state unemployment benefits - May. 10, 2011

"
"It gives the message that Florida is trying to become the most business-friendly state in the country," Holder said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:38 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Actually I think unemployment, food stamps and all support should be cut. That way the people will become desperate enough to do something about the ever increasing welfare for the rich. Us small business owners never benefit from any of these programs anyway. If Florida really wanted to be business friendly it would have restored regulations to what they were in 1950 and eliminated all licensing cartels since then.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
if you read the book Totch it said during the great depression that the economy reached a point where if you were an honest and law abiding person there was no way you could survive here and you had to move away if you didnt want to get involved in crime.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
I am all for cutting things, and I understand that every thing should be cut to be fair. But I swear do our elected officials and Rick Scott really believe people want to be unemployed. Requirements like these are not going to help people find jobs any faster:

They must complete an initial skills assessment and, once they start collecting benefits, the jobless must submit reports that show they've either reported to a state career office or contacted at least five employers.

It really seems like big brother is going to be more in our lives than in the past, I thought the whole thing with the Republican party was less government, I guess I thought wrong. Right now isn't the time to cut unemployment, they should of waited to do this in a few years when more people are back on their feet.

This is like kicking a person when they are already down on the floor, not extending a hand when they need one, were is the compassion for our fellow floridians. Shame on us if Scott signs this into law.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I am all for cutting things, and I understand that every thing should be cut to be fair. But I swear do our elected officials and Rick Scott really believe people want to be unemployed. Requirements like:

They must complete an initial skills assessment and, once they start collecting benefits, the jobless must submit reports that show they've either reported to a state career office or contacted at least five employers.

It really seems like big brother is going to be more in our lives than in the past, I thought the whole thing with the Republican party was less government, I guess I thought wrong. Right now isn't the time to cut unemployment, they should of waited to do this in a few years when more people are back on their feet.

This is like kicking a person when they are already down on the floor, not extending a hand when they need one.
With exception of skills assessment testing, I'm not sure how this is different than it already was. You had to prove that you contacted and applied at no less than 2-3 places a week to continue receiving benefits.

A skills assessment test can actually work in their favor as it can give them ideas on jobs they may not have thought of. Contacting employers is the only way to get a job and the state career office can lead to employment one did not know about.

Of course many people do not wish to be unemployed but there are a nice handful of people, anywhere USA, who will milk that unemployment. I've seen it happen over and over. You and I pay for that. I also think they should cut how long it lasts.

I know someone, personally, who sat on a couch for over a year because he was "too good" for some of those jobs out there. So we pay for you to sit on a couch because you are above working at certain jobs?

And there are people who say that in some cases, unemployment pays them the same or more than when they were working....so why work? No, sorry, I don't want to pay for that. I work, get off your lazy backside and get a job.

This was initially set up to help...and it was a good idea, but, as always, you have too many people who ruin it for everyone else by abusing the system. Frankly, I'm tired of paying for those who abuse the system.

If the government would stop taxing us to death to offer hand outs, we would find that the American people are very charitable. If we were allowed to use that money and put it towards the charities we wanted rather than being taxed and our money go places we don't get to choose, it doesn't actually work out better.

Frankly, I'm all for the government getting out of the welfare business.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:46 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Actually I think unemployment, food stamps and all support should be cut. That way the people will become desperate enough to do something about the ever increasing welfare for the rich.
That's a great plan! Then maybe we should refuse to feed them or offer them shelter. What parallel universe train of thought is that?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 AM

587 posts, read 1,134,910 times
didnt Scott campaign about bringing 700k to Florida? he spent $75m of his own money so he can cut the live support from the unemployed...he certainly is a compassionate conservative, and I feel sorry for the people of Florida....

I think he is also going to tie state benefits, any state benefit, with drug testing that the reciepent will have to pay for quarterly....I hope you recall this azz clown from office

Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
And there are people who say that in some cases, unemployment pays them the same or more than when they were working....so why work? No, sorry, I don't want to pay for that. I work, get off your lazy backside and get a job.

This was initially set up to help...and it was a good idea, but, as always, you have too many people who ruin it for everyone else by abusing the system. Frankly, I'm tired of paying for those who abuse the system.
I wonder what % of people who are having a hard time getting a job fit your description of abusers of the system 1%? 10%? 50%?
I'd guess its somewhere less than 1%.
Also be a bummer if your vote carried the day for ending all social safety net programs then somewhere up the road you were in need of unemployment benefits or some help with medical expenses and i guess for the benefit of the economy you probably dont need that social security once you retire.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 AM

Why should our tax dollars go towards those who use them to get more drugs?

I think he's on the right track.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wonder what % of people who are having a hard time getting a job fit your description of abusers of the system 1%? 10%? 50%?
I'd guess its somewhere less than 1%.
Also be a bummer if your vote carried the day for ending all social safety net programs then somewhere up the road you were in need of unemployment benefits or some help with medical expenses and i guess for the benefit of the economy you probably dont need that social security once you retire.
That's right, we think with our emotions instead of facts. Give me some hard numbers, then we discuss. Until then, I don't work with, "I think...." as fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: