U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:42 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,472,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereshedge View Post
The keynoter had more than I expected and I am sure I am going to have to go down there and look.

Ill probably find a month by month place and then ook for somethig more permanent once I see the neighborhoods I like.

Once again I really appreciate the help I have been giovwen on the forum
Sounds like a plan. If you need any help with specific neighborhoods, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 700 times
Default Looking for long term rental

Hi
Living in south Miami and wanting to move to a long term rental in the upper keys. I teach yoga and also work with persons challenged by Age - Illness - Injury - Inflexibility.

Looking for a 2 bdrm, unfurnished, between $1200 - $1600

Single, non-smoker, vegetarian with fish, clean and quiet...easy to be around and responsible.

Who is your realtor or friend I can contact?

David
david at yoga-heart dot net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
It all depends on how big of a place are you looking at?will you need a dock? furnished or unfurnished? how much are willing/looking to spend? I have some friends in the keys who are looking to rent (private) year round. I just bought a place(not for rent) myself in BPK last year. My realtor rents out houses she/and or the real estate company she works for own in the keys. I can't post her info here but message me if you want it. She lives in and works on BPK. Try running an ad in the local keynoter newspaper. With all the rental regulations lots of people prefer word of mouth

Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,117,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogafun01 View Post
Hi
Living in south Miami and wanting to move to a long term rental in the upper keys. I teach yoga and also work with persons challenged by Age - Illness - Injury - Inflexibility.

Looking for a 2 bdrm, unfurnished, between $1200 - $1600

Single, non-smoker, vegetarian with fish, clean and quiet...easy to be around and responsible.

Who is your realtor or friend I can contact?

David
david at yoga-heart dot net
A realtor is a good person to check with, since many posts on Craigslist or vacation sites are either illegally renting, or scams. But, you might want to try one who is based further North, as bigh110 is in Big Pine, not the Upper Keys.

For year-round rental, be sure that the apartment is not on the ground floor in a below-flood area. These are not legal residences because they are very dangerous during storm season. Many people in the Keys try to rent them out against FEMA code, not caring for your safety or the well-being of your stuff if you had to evacuate, because they are desperate for cash.

If you are not familiar, there is a Yoga center in Key Largo. If you're looking for like-minded people, it's possible that if you gave them a call or visited, you might get some recommendations. Everybody knows someone who is renting. It sounds like you might be interested in a roommate, and that might be a good way to find a good match. There are yoga studios in Islamorada too, which is more trendy and would have more restaurants that might fit you, if you prefer to be further down. (Vegetarianism hasn't made great inroads into any of the Keys yet, though.) But for the most legitimate path, a realtor is best.

Please have a job or large savings secured before making the move, the Keys is not a friendly place for those who are struggling financially or who come needing employment. It chews up so many and spits them right out. Lots of dreamers here, not as many doers. Consequently, lots of homeless who came seeking the island life without having a plan first.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 PM

772 posts, read 1,614,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
A realtor is a good person to check with, since many posts on Craigslist or vacation sites are either illegally renting, or scams. But, you might want to try one who is based further North, as bigh110 is in Big Pine, not the Upper Keys.

For year-round rental, be sure that the apartment is not on the ground floor in a below-flood area. These are not legal residences because they are very dangerous during storm season. Many people in the Keys try to rent them out against FEMA code, not caring for your safety or the well-being of your stuff if you had to evacuate, because they are desperate for cash.

If you are not familiar, there is a Yoga center in Key Largo. If you're looking for like-minded people, it's possible that if you gave them a call or visited, you might get some recommendations. Everybody knows someone who is renting. It sounds like you might be interested in a roommate, and that might be a good way to find a good match. There are yoga studios in Islamorada too, which is more trendy and would have more restaurants that might fit you, if you prefer to be further down. (Vegetarianism hasn't made great inroads into any of the Keys yet, though.) But for the most legitimate path, a realtor is best.

Please have a job or large savings secured before making the move, the Keys is not a friendly place for those who are struggling financially or who come needing employment. It chews up so many and spits them right out. Lots of dreamers here, not as many doers. Consequently, lots of homeless who came seeking the island life without having a plan first.
Ain't that the TRUTH!!! Good Answer!

Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 31,316 times
Some quick advice for renting in the Florida Keys.

Make sure that you ask your potential landlord if the house is in foreclosure.
Talk to the neighbours about previous tenants, problems with the owner, history etc.
Find out if the house has been connected to the new sewer system.
Be very wary of landlords who live in Miami or Fort Lauderdale and not locally. You might find that they do not want to drive down to the keys to deal with any of the repairs or problems that you have with the house.
Get renters insurance, for 75 dollars a year, it is worth it.

Finding a rental in the keys is really hard. Driving around and looking for rental signs outside the homes is a good way to find a place if you can get down here in advance.

Once you actually DO find a place at a decent price, you will want to jump on it, but be VERY CAUTIOUS and ask questions first. Never get pushed to sign a lease quickly or pay in cash.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida