Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of posts in many threads about how dangerous/strange Florida must be because of all of the National news stories that come out of the state. I am mostly talking about child abductions, crazy women who while driving on a suspended license get into an accident because she is shaving her bikini line while driving, things like that.

A lot of people say that it happens more in FL than any other state. When I start searching the internet for similar news stories in other states, I can find a lot of them, but they don't make National headlines.

My question is do you think there is a chance that Florida makes more National headlines because it is Florida and is supposed to be "paradise"? Or do you believe that it is because there really a bigger criminal / strangeness element here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Yes, but do you find as many weird news stories as Florida's that happen in a single state? I blame the heat.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Yes, but do you find as many weird news stories as Florida's that happen in a single state? I blame the heat.
Lol. You would think that we wouldn't be willing to go out in the heat for the 9 months out of the year that it so hot that you can't go outside.

I did notice a bunch of strange stories coming out of (I believe) West Virginia for a while.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
With the way our world is going (I call it "down the tubes") I think strange news can be found just about anywhere and FL does not have a monopoly on it. Try reading any major city news paper on line and you will see that.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
No, a lot of crazy things happen here.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
No, a lot of crazy things happen here.
LOL I was thinking the same thing......but would add we seem to get a lot of the weird,crazy, odd, criminally inclined, runaways from all the other states who are either hiding out down here because of something they did up North or think they can get a new start in a new state and change who they are. Then they find out this state is really no different than any other state when it comes to really living there instead of just visiting. Life is life no matter where ya live.

Remember the Florida ads from a few years ago....The Rules are different here. lol Maybe that was a poor choice and added to the problems. LOL

Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I was watching world's dumbest the other day, it's a show that supposed to be commical. I found it odd, and some offensive, that one of the commentators said "What is this Florida?" in reference to one of the backwards videos that was shown. Just a window into how the rest of the country is beginning to look at us.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:56 PM

41 posts, read 205,841 times
I loved living down there but I got to admit when i was a kid and you'd hear about some nasty domestic dispute or something just off the wall crazy, My father always blamed it on the people being outside without their floppy hats on. Said the sun baked their brains.

Funny thing is its that way all over. A buddy of mine wanted to go to Rio, I told him he was nuts there was too much crime and violence. The he asked if i watched my own news where he says 6-8 poeple a day get shot and killed here in Chicago. I told him i don't know, I dont really watch it.

But the fact of the matter is there are whack jobs everywhere you go.

just the facts of life.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereshedge View Post
I loved living down there but I got to admit when i was a kid and you'd hear about some nasty domestic dispute or something just off the wall crazy, My father always blamed it on the people being outside without their floppy hats on. Said the sun baked their brains.

Funny thing is its that way all over. A buddy of mine wanted to go to Rio, I told him he was nuts there was too much crime and violence. The he asked if i watched my own news where he says 6-8 poeple a day get shot and killed here in Chicago. I told him i don't know, I dont really watch it.

But the fact of the matter is there are whack jobs everywhere you go.

just the facts of life.
That is kind of what I was trying to say. It seems like the FL stories make national news more often. I really think it is partially because FL is supposed to be paradise, and partially because since FL has gotten this reputation it has become a free-for-all and any story that would just be local news is now National.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
My question is do you think there is a chance that Florida makes more National headlines because it is Florida and is supposed to be "paradise"? Or do you believe that it is because there really a bigger criminal / strangeness element here?
Yes and No. Here are some facts to consider:
  1. Corporate Media: Most news outlets have been acquired, merged, etc. in FL. They now offer syndicated news feeds too like Rueters, Syndicated Press, etc. that now feed dying market papers. These syndicated stories get printed because the local papers can't afford staff to write local stories anymore.
  2. Grass is Greener: If you've watched "My Name Is Earl" and you think it's comedy fiction -- think again! Weirdo characters who have screwed up their own lives in some place decide if they move somewhere else -- shazaam! -- like FL -- their lives will change! Normally, they have criminal issues and repeat this behavior in their new dream locale. Did you research other magnets for such folk as CA, AK, AZ, NV and TX for these stories too -- to compare?
  3. Based on previous statement, couldn't you conclude that IDIOTS from other states become crime stats for FL because they get arrested here -- even though they came from Chicago (or wherever)? Ditto for street people in FL too! (Aren't we lucky?)
  4. Can we send your state a bill to pay for your crazy outcast citizens who drain our local government/agency services on our dime? (Then tarnish our rep instead of yours.) You've got a good thing going (for now)!
  5. If Florida has one of the worst economies in the country and employment opportunities, how smart are you to think you're going to start a "new life" here, as opposed to other States with better economies? (The "scholars" Florida attracts don't usually think this part out as they figure it's the same as where they came from! )
  6. How many women would shave their bikini line to show up at the local swimmin' hole in Cleveland or Detroit while driving? Umm, Florida is completely surrounded by beaches, so it was probably some idiot from your town who just got off the plane with the rental car, heading for the beach.
  7. Did you really go to journalism school? What size market are you writing for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: