Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:19 PM

132 posts, read 267,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Everyone knows that Miami is really Little Havana and that Spanish is allll around.
HAHAHA "Little Havana" and yet Miami has twice as many people??? PLEASE. Also, if you're so worried about Spanish maybe you should move to Tuvalu, there are very few Spanish speakers there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
I am truly amazed that you made a post to complain about a tourist destination having announcements in multiple languages. The horror!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I am truly amazed that you made a post to complain about a tourist destination having announcements in multiple languages. The horror!
Exactly. I don't see what the big deal is. People from all over the world visit Florida, and quite often Disney is on the itinerary.

I live in northeast FL and often see signs in Spanish along with the English. I saw that in Denver, too, when I lived there.

I work with young children. There is no question that migration patterns have meant an increase in Spanish-speakers in the USA.
OTOH, English is the language of globalization. These ads (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cowbite/3285341311/ - broken link) are all over the Métro in Paris.
Both in Denver and here, all the immigrant children I met quickly learned English.

To me it is not a matter of languages "creeping," it is our national identity constantly changing and adapting. Some happily embrace this, others are dragged in kicking and screaming, many are somewhere in the middle.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Having lived in Florida for most of my life and just recently moved back. it's interesting to note this is still an issue for some as through my experiences most of those who find this a problem tended to be over the age of 60. Kind of the same generation who while having a conversation when discussing a particular individual would whisper...and he/she is black!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida