U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:57 PM

769 posts, read 1,821,647 times

Advertisements

The issue is not the huge payouts from hurricanes back in 2004. It's the huge payouts from sink hole claims, many of which were false. Up until recently there was no law saying you had to use the money from the sink hole loss to fix it. So people were taking the money and paying off their houses with it or just abandoning it. Average sink hole claims are around $100k.

There are attorneys and sink hole repair companies that walk around subdivisions door to door and offer a free visual inspection. They then make a recommendation on whether or not you should ask the insurance company to do a full sink hole test, which costs around $10k. In many instances people have a very small sink hole 30+ feet under their house. Even though they often have little or no physical damage to their house, the insurance company is forced to pay out on the claim.

I believe that now you have to use the money to fix the sink hole, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,237,095 times
What a bunch of baloney regarding taxes and keeping a car on the road in Tennessee!

First of all, TN is 47th in the country for tax burden. Florida is 37th.

Sales tax is high but when you add in all of the hidden fees that TN does not have you come out way ahead.

Regarding keeping a vehicle on the road, are ya kidding?

First of all, when we moved from Florida our insurance bill was cut in half. Half! To register is a fraction of what it costs in Florida and the same for renewal.

Cold in Tennessee? I call East Tennessee's weather "Goldilocks weather." It's not too hot and it's not too cold. It's just right.

Our winters last a few months, are very mild and we have the added fun of watching it snow and then almost immediately melt. Most years we get a few inches a season. I've lived here six years and I don't own a shovel. Heck, I don't even own boots or winter gloves. No need.

It was cold last year. It was nothing like the cold that they deal with up north. And here's a news flash. It was cold in Florida, too. Once you've lived in Florida for awhile, you acclimate. I can remember it being 60 degrees and feeling like I was freezing to death. Last year, Floridians felt like they were freezing to death a lot.

TnGalNow has high electric bills but she lives in a rural area. I have incredibly cheap bills, but I live in Knoxville, an area with possibly the lowest electric rates in the country.

I don't know. I love East Tennessee. I went to downtown Knoxville yesterday and the incredible coolness that is Knoxville reminded my of why I moved here in the first place.

But I better shut up. I want to keep it a secret.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:35 PM

374 posts, read 806,357 times
Hik, I've never lived further north than TN, so I'm sure you're right that it's a picnic for those accustomed to awful winters. I wasn't. I still think things should be warming up in Feb... I lived in FL 31 years - I've been here 29 years, you've been here 6. We've had some extremely warm winters for the most recent years and this past year was more like it was in the '80s and '90s. Additionally, the grey, dreary days wear on me more than they did twenty years ago - and I love a grey day...occasionally. Just this past week we had virtually no sunshine until yesterday and today. And in 29 years the last two springs are the ugliest I ever remember - usually it's gorgeous here from April through May. Regardless, it's all relative to what is is each person's comfort level and in fact, I'm not complaining about the weather, overall, it's great. I was just looking for warmer winters since it bothers me more now than it used to. Plus, I'm 10 years older than you
I also was in Knoxville yesterday and I feel the same as you

It's a shame that the "bad" guys can't be limited to the insurance companies. Sad that, as usual, the few working to benefit by scamming the insurance companies spoil it for everyone else and it's the same across the board regarding insurance - especially health. No amount of legislation can instill ethics and morality, just work to keep things "honest" on both sides - and that's and incredibly tall order.

I still feel awful for FL residents regarding high insurance. It just looks like a bad situation that has the potential to get worse.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM

7,647 posts, read 16,029,989 times
I'm sure somewhere in the giant box of flotsam and jetsam in the garage we've got the receipt for the $70/year in 'wheel tax' the city of Martin, TN used to extort from us every year when we lived up there. The spousal unit tends to keep stuff like that for some strange reason. IIRC, car insurance was pretty much the same here and there.

Y'all can keep Tennessee; gave it an honest try, discovered we utterly loathed it, and were out of there with the first job offer that looked like it would be more than a lateral movement of suck.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:06 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,416,928 times
Is Homeowner insurance likely to be lower on a townhouse or condo?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:18 PM

769 posts, read 1,821,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Is Homeowner insurance likely to be lower on a townhouse or condo?
Technically yes because most of the time you are only insuring the contents and sometimes inside of the property. But your HOA is insuring the outside structure and passing on the cost to you.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:16 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,887,160 times
I have been hearing of people who have bought outright not insuring condominiums they have purchased due to the high costs.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,237,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I also was in Knoxville yesterday and I feel the same as you
Oh, wow! I wish I would have known that. Lauren and I were at the farmer's market and the reading festival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm sure somewhere in the giant box of flotsam and jetsam in the garage we've got the receipt for the $70/year in 'wheel tax' the city of Martin, TN used to extort from us every year when we lived up there. The spousal unit tends to keep stuff like that for some strange reason. IIRC, car insurance was pretty much the same here and there.

Y'all can keep Tennessee; gave it an honest try, discovered we utterly loathed it, and were out of there with the first job offer that looked like it would be more than a lateral movement of suck.
It costs over $400 to register a car in Florida and well under $100 in Tennessee.

Martin is six hours away from Knoxville and might as well be a world away. I can't imagine moving to West Tennessee, close to the Kentucky border no less. Yowzer. And it doesn't surprise me that your insurance didn't change much when you moved to Florida. I suspect it is where you moved to.

But the truth is most people don't up and move to Martin, TN and when most people talk about moving to the state it is usually to East Tenn, sometimes to Nashville.

But the facts are the facts. Tennessee is 47th in the country for tax burden. It's a great place to live, and if you are in some place like Knoxville you actually get bang for your buck with stellar parks, greenways, schools, cops, you name it.

Great place.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,155,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I have been hearing of people who have bought outright not insuring condominiums they have purchased due to the high costs.
It doesn't matter if something happens to the building you will be responsible for your share. There are no free rides.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,994,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, wow! I wish I would have known that. Lauren and I were at the farmer's market and the reading festival.

It costs over $400 to register a car in Florida and well under $100 in Tennessee.
The car registration fee seem to be fair beside the $225 initial car registration fee, but it can be transfer to another vehicle. So if your family own 2 vehicles, it will cost $450, and as long as you own 2 vehicle (purchase and replace), you are not require to pay for it again.

I am only comparing this to NJ where I am currently resided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida