U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,181,079 times

Advertisements

I apologize for my negativity earlier in the thread. Usually these types of threads derail pretty quickly. But since it hasn't....

Howard Frankland Bridge
Traffic held up by slow cars
I must pass on right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:53 PM

295 posts, read 1,285,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I apologize for my negativity earlier in the thread. Usually these types of threads derail pretty quickly. But since it hasn't....

Howard Frankland Bridge
Traffic held up by slow cars
I must pass on right
Now THAT's what I was aiming for!
I appreciate your honesty, and willingness to play along. The caretaker moved it to Florida anyway...

Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,181,079 times
Cash tolls are all gone
I'm driving on the Crosstown
Who stole my SunPass?

Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,229,214 times
It's May, already
Why is that Q-tip
Still down here?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,380,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
There has to be a reason so many people feel free to drive so fast and I'm guessing it's a shortage of police/sheriff/trooper employees. In Dallas they are everywhere all the time. Something else I see here often is drivers dashing through a light even when it has gone red. In Dallas that would earn a ticket since there are cameras at every intersection. I'm a very good and safe driver and I admit I've given up and I often drive with the pack.
I don't believe there's a shortage of police & state troopers. I do believe that the troopers write less tickets on the interstates/major highways not to deter tourism. I've been driving I-4 Orlando to Tampa for 8 years now and rarely see someone pulled over. I do see troopers handling abandoned cars, working construction zones and sitting at certain points as a deterrent to speeders. And IMO, you can forget about a ban on texting/hands on cell phone use in Florida. Another deterrent to tourism ....

Old 05-18-2011, 07:23 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,345,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilycakes View Post
I repped up every poster who haiku'd in this thread. I'd do it myself, but I haven't been in Florida long enough to crack witty jokes at it yet.
Neither have I, but many of these issues are generic. No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
I googled for regulations on drivers using cell phones. ... Florida is restricting absolutely nothing. Too bad.
Yes, I was surprised and disappointed. Although here in Ontario, Canada, we banned it over a year ago and I still see people doing it. Provincial police are doing a blitz over the coming long weekend to catch people at it.

Here's another one, which is a big beef of mine, and I have found Florida very bad at it:

No lane discipline
Why does everybody
Drive on the left?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,866,762 times
This actually happened to me.

A New Yorker Behind Me,
Honking and yelling,
"It's a yield, not a stop sign!"

I understand his point, but first off there were 3 cars ahead of me at the yield sign. Second, they were stopped because there was traffic. Apparently in New York if you have a yield sign you are allowed to pull into on coming traffic and they should stop/slow for you. I have seen people around here stop at a yield for no reason, but this was not one of the situations.

The guy did it over and over at every yield sign. I finally opened up my door and looked at him asking him what his problem was. His response, "It's a yield not a stop sign!" As soon as he could he passed me and drove erratically, weaving in and out of traffic. I drove safely at the speed limit and would always end up behind him since he would get stuck at lights. I would beep my horn at him at every light I was behind him and wave. I tell ya what. I feel bad for that guy. So wound up and stressed out.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:37 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,127,986 times
For people who don't seem to understand the concept of pulling over when an emergency vehicle is coming:

Did I hear sirens?
I better step on the gas,
Won't let them stop me.

Ahhhh. Now I feel better. Great thread!

Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,345,606 times
And the fact this it is such a vehicle-centric culture:

Floridians don't walk
anywhere
Except across parking lots

Don't try walking here
No sidewalks
Danger

Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM

7,645 posts, read 16,024,078 times
Where is my hotel?
There it is! Now I will turn
Right from the left lane.

Contraflow starts now
Hurricane is on the way
still stuck on the road.

Toll both says Sun Pass
Who knows what that is? Not me!
Stop and block traffic.

Last edited by beachmouse; 05-18-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or