Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times

Advertisements

Florida driver.
The rules are different here.
Get good insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Yeh, I looked it up. I had known generally what it meant, but being Canadian, it's not in my "genes", as it were, i.e. I'm not used to hearing it used.

But my main concern was really the dichotomy: if you're not bubba or yankee, what are you?

Yes, this is a great, fun thread. I've decided to work on haiku writing. My family's getting concerned for me.
No haiku yet? I came up with bubba/yankee because I've seen many posts complaining about "yankee" drivers. My imagination had "bubba" as the guy driving a PU, wearing no shirt, a beer in one hand and a birddog in the back. Have you ever seen "Deliverance" (old movie with Burt Reynolds)? I guess those types (the antagonists in the movie) are bubba on the bad side. However, I"m happy to say I have not seen any like that since I arrived in Florida.

I was thinking of creating a Canadian haiku. Did some browsing on CAN slang but I found that "canuck" could be used negatively so I stopped looking. Looks like hiknapster kinda got it started. We're waiting for yours!!!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:22 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
Fl drivers, I found, believe the person turning into the main road actually have the right of way. You slow down for them....they need to turn into the straightaway from the neighborhood, the Walmart, wherever- but everyone else slam on ur brakes- they're pulling in whether it's safe or not!
It's not FL drivers. They are call new driver. I once sit in a car when my sister drive. She turn on right signal and then move to the right lane the next sec. There was a car to the right of us. Luckily he braked.

I asked her, wtf was that. She said she has the right to right because she turn on the blinker.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM

41 posts, read 205,799 times
Drive from Thunder bay
Just to see the sun again
Go canuck yourself

Come on you know its funny, I was just on the phone with a buddy from Regina and he laughed

Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereshedge View Post
Drive from Thunder bay
Just to see the sun again
Go canuck yourself

Come on you know its funny, I was just on the phone with a buddy from Regina and he laughed
I was just out running errands and as I drove, I was trying to think of something funny to write with canuck. You win!

Old 05-27-2011, 12:05 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
+1 for that!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:28 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Canadians
Worried about labels.
Why?

Funny. Well, we have an overwhelming desire to be liked!

But I'm not worried, just curious.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 PM

295 posts, read 1,449,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
It's not FL drivers. They are call new driver. I once sit in a car when my sister drive. She turn on right signal and then move to the right lane the next sec. There was a car to the right of us. Luckily he braked.

I asked her, wtf was that. She said she has the right to right because she turn on the blinker.
Headlines are the same:
"Young driver kills old driver."
Because they don't care.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I'm sure this is going to go over really well.

I lived in a retirement area, though, and it is a driving challenge, for certain.

Research on age-related driving concerns has shown that at around the age of 65 drivers face an increased risk of being involved in a vehicle crash. After the age of 75, the risk of driver fatality increases sharply, because older drivers are more vulnerable to both crash-related injury and death. Three behavioral factors in particular may contribute to these statistics: poor judgement in making left-hand turns; drifting within the traffic lane; and decreased ability to change behavior in response to an unexpected or rapidly changing situation.

Older Drivers, Elderly Driving, Seniors at the Wheel

For what it's worth - which is nothing - growing up in New England we only called French-Canadians "Canucks," wwanderer. It was the people of French-Canadian heritage that did so. I guess it spread to the entire country? I'm surprised. I have a lot of family in Ontario.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

For what it's worth - which is nothing - growing up in New England we only called French-Canadians "Canucks," wwanderer. It was the people of French-Canadian heritage that did so. I guess it spread to the entire country? I'm surprised. I have a lot of family in Ontario.
Yeh, it's pretty well a generic term now that Canadians use--not sure how it is now used outside the country. Not surprised it used to be used in New England to refer to the Quebeckers, since there so many transplants from there. I can't remember what we called French Canadians here in Ontario when I was a kid--but I'm sure it was mildly derogatory. They were definitely second-class citizens in those days, here (my father was one, and he hid it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida