U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,195 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a 20 single female and I currently live in Miami, Florida I am not a fan of Miami at all if live here my entire life I plan on moving within the next 3months the only thing is I don't want to completely leave florida I'm thinking central Florida maybe Dayton beach... port orange... or Orlando but I'm not sure please help pros and cons of each would be nice also I will be moving alone starting a new chapter in my life independence lastly I work for Marriott hotels so no matter where I go I will have a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,381,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylamarie09 View Post
Hi I am a 20 single female and I currently live in Miami, Florida I am not a fan of Miami at all if live here my entire life I plan on moving within the next 3months the only thing is I don't want to completely leave florida I'm thinking central Florida maybe Dayton beach... port orange... or Orlando but I'm not sure please help pros and cons of each would be nice also I will be moving alone starting a new chapter in my life independence lastly I work for Marriott hotels so no matter where I go I will have a job.
If you can transfer anywhere with Marriott, why limit your options to Florida ?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 AM

21,112 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Check out Tampa-St Petersburg. It's the second largest metro area in the state and has a completely different feel than South Florida. The south side of Tampa is best for singles though if you're looking for a slightly quieter feel check out the beach side in St Petersburg (north end) or Clearwater (southeast side). There are several nice Marriott properties to choose from in the St Pete/Clearwater area.

Neighborhoods | St Pete Clearwater, FL Beach Vacations - VisitStPeteClearwater.com

St Petersburg, Florida Hotel: Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg, Florida Resort & Golf Club
St. Petersburg Marriott Clearwater Marriott hotel
Hotels in Treasure Island, Florida | Treasure Island, Florida Hotels
Hotels in Clearwater Beach, FL - Clearwater Beach Resorts - Clearwater Beach Marriott
Clearwater Florida Hotel: Courtyard St Petersburg Clearwater

Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 AM

264 posts, read 650,591 times
Orlando

Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,759,093 times
As a young single person I wouldn't suggest moving to a small town stick the larger cities, Orlando or Tampa. Leftee does have a point if you can transfer with Marriott why limit yourself to just Florida. You are young, single, no ties, this is the time in your life that you should try living in other states.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,195 times
I have thought about another state but my whole family is in Florida... Florida is all I know.... and what states and cities would you suggest for me

Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,381,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylamarie09 View Post
I have thought about another state but my whole family is in Florida... Florida is all I know.... and what states and cities would you suggest for me
Lots of options for you ... Atlanta, Boston, Washington, etc. Atlanta would be close enough that you could drive home periodically. Do you live at home or have your own place ? Roommates ? When I lived in Boston, I had a roommate who worked for the Marriott in Cambridge and there were always Marriott folks from other places at our rental house.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM

4,158 posts, read 7,888,706 times
Just for employment purpose I would choose Orlando if you can get transferred to the Marriot World Center or one of the bigger Marriot resorts here. The money is good, the hours are plentiful from what I've heard. Additionally because you're in the hospitality industry moving to a hospitality heavy area like Orlando will help you meet new people quicker. There are a ton of young people here, reasonable housing prices and it's only 3.5 hrs on the turnpike to Miami. Far enough to get away but close enough to visit when you want to. There's never a shortage of things to do for people your age and just speaking from experience, having lived in both MIA and ORL, it will be an easy transition.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 AM

53 posts, read 207,580 times
Having lived in Daytona, Orlando, Miami, and Tampa, you being young 20s, head for Orlando. Great for hospitality industry and even consider UCF Rosen college of hospitality. The I-4 corridor is mostly different than SoFla, though personally it seems like Orlando resembles Miami the most lately.

If you want something Florida, but different, try Tampa Bay area like Kyle suggested, it is a completely different feel than the MIA. But if you have nothing holding you back, spend your 20s exploring the country like the other poster suggested too. Atlanta, New York City, Wash DC, etc.. I did that in my 20s (Philly, Denver, fla..) but back to Florida I am.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,356,653 times
Orlando is the youngest area in Central Florida and is a lot of fun for people in their 20s. It has a nice downtown which has developed nicely over the last couple decades with a few big projects that are in the works. I think Orlando has the #2 nightlife behind Miami in the state, but it quite different. There are not the large, swanky, expensive clubs of Miami here, but there are loads of bars, a few nice clubs, and all of it is in a compact, walkable area. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods and little strips/districts surrounding downtown that offer everything from trendy and upscale to eclectic and artsy. If you are looking to move, Orlando is just going to offer a lot more than Daytona or Port Orange. What kind of things are you looking for in a city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or