U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2011, 02:52 AM
 
705 posts, read 1,009,319 times
Reputation: 408

Advertisements

Alright so I'm a Florida boy but I need to know about some places to avoid any chance of being a victim of a robbery. I'm going from jacksonville to st aug, daytona, over to sanford and seminole county, orlando, polk county, sebring, labelle, naples, fort myers, charlotte county, sarasota county, bradenton, st pete, tampa, pasco, hernando, citrus and up to the panhandle all the way to Penscola. Now we're going to cruise thru many small towns and all the cities on this route and the only places we know for sure we will have to watch our back even in the car is Jacksonville, Orlando and Fort Myers. But I read the news every day and it seems like every week there's a robbery murder somewhere in this state and it could be anywhere so we're wondering where we should really watch our back and where we shouldn't need to as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 AM
 
34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Reputation: 29847
I'd be more concerned about speed traps in the many small towns you will be passing through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 7,199,759 times
Reputation: 1535
You don't have to be concerned while you're in the car in any of those places. Yeah, of course there's going to be a robbery or a murder every few days in a state with eighteen million people; Florida isn't some crime hotbed while the rest of the country is so innocent.

You're not going to get robbed on this trip. Or killed. But like the poster above me said, you should really worry about some of the speed trap towns.

You probably don't want to hangout in some of those South Okeechobee towns like Pahokee, Belle Glade, and South Bay. Some of those places have really high crime rates and an overall depressing atmosphere. The rest of the state is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,247,972 times
Reputation: 6010
If you don't make any stops in an area that looks totally unsavory, perhaps the Parramore section of Orlando, or get involved in any curbside drug deals, I think your odds of running into a problem are slim.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Alright so I'm a Florida boy but I need to know about some places to avoid any chance of being a victim of a robbery. I'm going from jacksonville to st aug, daytona, over to sanford and seminole county, orlando, polk county, sebring, labelle, naples, fort myers, charlotte county, sarasota county, bradenton, st pete, tampa, pasco, hernando, citrus and up to the panhandle all the way to Penscola. Now we're going to cruise thru many small towns and all the cities on this route and the only places we know for sure we will have to watch our back even in the car is Jacksonville, Orlando and Fort Myers. But I read the news every day and it seems like every week there's a robbery murder somewhere in this state and it could be anywhere so we're wondering where we should really watch our back and where we shouldn't need to as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 9,272,770 times
Reputation: 2289
Quite and odd post. It sounds like you are going to be in a panic your whole trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
1,881 posts, read 3,136,581 times
Reputation: 16530
Don't worry about it, just use your common sense. If you look panic stricken (ie, like a victim), your chance of being victimized increases dramatically.

The chances of you being fine and having fun are overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM
 
705 posts, read 1,009,319 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Quite and odd post. It sounds like you are going to be in a panic your whole trip.
No it's not that. The problem is I've been in areas that are very dangerous in the past that did not look anywhere near dangerous when I was in them(I always research areas i was in after I go there as I know them better afterward). I've been in Dunbar and Parramore with nothing happening but these areas dont even look that bad from the outside so if you don't know where you are I could easily see you getting in trouble if you make a wrong turn because as we all should know robbery is huge in Florida it's the cause of the majority of murders here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,247,972 times
Reputation: 6010
Watch out around I-Drive in Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 7,199,759 times
Reputation: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
No it's not that. The problem is I've been in areas that are very dangerous in the past that did not look anywhere near dangerous when I was in them(I always research areas i was in after I go there as I know them better afterward). I've been in Dunbar and Parramore with nothing happening but these areas dont even look that bad from the outside so if you don't know where you are I could easily see you getting in trouble if you make a wrong turn because as we all should know robbery is huge in Florida it's the cause of the majority of murders here.
But you'll never really find yourself in the bad parts of most cities, as there's generally nothing to cause a tourist or sightseer to wind up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 9,272,770 times
Reputation: 2289
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
No it's not that. The problem is I've been in areas that are very dangerous in the past that did not look anywhere near dangerous when I was in them(I always research areas i was in after I go there as I know them better afterward). I've been in Dunbar and Parramore with nothing happening but these areas dont even look that bad from the outside so if you don't know where you are I could easily see you getting in trouble if you make a wrong turn because as we all should know robbery is huge in Florida it's the cause of the majority of murders here.
Hmmm. The majority of murders are due to robbery of a random victim. Without looking up stats I'm going say false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top