U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 PM

407 posts, read 669,142 times

Advertisements

Hello, not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, couldn't find a Florida Keys forum. We were recently down in the Keys (Middle Keys) and were curious if anyone knows of any nice affordable communities to live in. We would use the home for about six months out of the year. The price range would be anywhere from $300-500k for a single family home. 2-3 bedrooms max. ANyone have any suggestions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:20 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,502,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Hello, not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, couldn't find a Florida Keys forum. We were recently down in the Keys (Middle Keys) and were curious if anyone knows of any nice affordable communities to live in. We would use the home for about six months out of the year. The price range would be anywhere from $300-500k for a single family home. 2-3 bedrooms max. ANyone have any suggestions? Thank you!
Since 2008, there has been an increasingly large pool of $300,000-$500,000 homes from which to choose. In fact, you can find two-bedroom (and even some three-bedroom) homes throughout the Keys in this price range; even a few in Key West! The cheapest places to buy are probably Big Pine, Little Torch, Ramrod, and parts of Marathon; the most expensive areas are Islamorada, Duck Key, Lower Sugarloaf, Key Haven, and Key West. However, even in some of these more expensive areas, you will find small homes in your price range. Do you prefer to be in a vibrant, walkable city (Key West), in a small fishing/beach town (Islamorada), or on a pseudo-rural island that reminds you just as much as the American South as it does the Caribbean (Big Pine)? My family has lived down there for years and I would be glad to recommend some specific neighborhoods if you can narrow down what you think you'd like.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 PM

Thank you so much for replying! We stayed on Marathon and absolutly loved it! We spent much of our time down by Sombero Beach and loved that area. Anything similar to that would be great. We def. don't any hustle and bustle or party atmosphere like key west, we spent a day their and loved it but wouldn't want to live their. Any community in a quiet, layed back area (like Marathon) would be great. We have a boat that we may want to bring so a marina or a canal in the back yard would be nice. Once again, thank you for your help!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for replying! We stayed on Marathon and absolutly loved it! We spent much of our time down by Sombero Beach and loved that area. Anything similar to that would be great. We def. don't any hustle and bustle or party atmosphere like key west, we spent a day their and loved it but wouldn't want to live their. Any community in a quiet, layed back area (like Marathon) would be great. We have a boat that we may want to bring so a marina or a canal in the back yard would be nice. Once again, thank you for your help!
I would suggest the Islamorada area, much of the Lower Keys (nicer areas of Big Pine Key, Little Torch, Ramrod, Summerland, Cudjoe, Sugarloaf) and also some of the nicer areas of Marathon such as near Sombrero Beach/Country Club, Coco Plum area, and the area behind the airport. You can get 2/3-bedroom canal-front homes in all of these areas for under $500,000. Another option would be to consider buying into a condominium building in the Upper Keys - Matecumbe, Islamorada, Tavernier, Key Largo. Many condominium units either come with a boat slip at the on-site marina or you can buy one for additional money. I did a quick search and saw several 2-bedroom condo units of this description within your price range.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Great! Thank you. We really enjoyed the Marathon area. Sombero Country club seems like it would be nice. Is Islamorada more expensive then Marathon? if so do you know why?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Great! Thank you. We really enjoyed the Marathon area. Sombero Country club seems like it would be nice. Is Islamorada more expensive then Marathon? if so do you know why?
In general, yes, Islamorada is a bit more expensive than Marathon. I think this is because Marathon has a lot more trailer parks and does have some not-so-nice sections. Islamorada is, overall, a nicer area in my opinion. However, I agree that the Sombrero Country Club area is very nice and I would definitely consider it if I were moving to the Keys. If this matters to you, Marathon itself has more shopping (grocery stores, Kmart, Home Depot, etc.), but Islamorada probably has more restaurants and isn't far from shopping in Key Largo/Tavernier.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM

I went looking for some homes within the Marathon country club, everything in our price range were fixer-uppers. but the homes were nice and had alot of potential. On Islamorada would that be less touristy? Also like you said Marathon has more trailer parks, would that mean there is more crime?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I went looking for some homes within the Marathon country club, everything in our price range were fixer-uppers. but the homes were nice and had alot of potential. On Islamorada would that be less touristy? Also like you said Marathon has more trailer parks, would that mean there is more crime?
Well, pretty much all affordable properties in nice areas of the Keys that aren't tiny are fixer-uppers. That is, a small 2-bedroom home that needs work in the Sombrero Country Club area will cost $450,000. There are other decent areas of Marathon where you can find homes for $300,000-$400,000. The areas with the trailer parks don't have a lot of violent crime at all; just more thefts and drug busts. Islamorada is more touristy than Marathon; it gets not only more distance travelers but also families/couples on day trips from Miami and Fort Lauderdale. However, the plus of that is that it has a cute "beach town" feel along US1 with plenty of restaurants and shops that cater to both tourists and locals alike. Marathon has more of a generic "American" feel to it along US1; however, areas like Coco Plum, Key Colony Beach (technically a different town than Marathon), and Sombrero Country Club feel very tropical and "Keysy". If you want something really quiet that's more affordable than anywhere else in the Keys, check out Big Pine Key. It is a mix of pretty nice and run-down-yet-still-safe areas and the great majority of the homes there are in your price range. The nicest areas there are Pine Channel Estates, Tropical Bay, and, to a lesser extent, Eden Pines.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM

I remember when we were driving through Islamorada it had a beachy feel. The island didn't seem wide at all. Many times we were able to see the ocean and the gulf. Are homes in the Keys able to have Insurance? Is it true that the State of Florida doesn't allow flood insurance anymore?

How about storms? Hurricanes... Did some research and it seems that the Keys didn't get hit as much as I expected it to say! Pretty much any damage done to your property is all of your responsibility?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I remember when we were driving through Islamorada it had a beachy feel. The island didn't seem wide at all. Many times we were able to see the ocean and the gulf. Are homes in the Keys able to have Insurance? Is it true that the State of Florida doesn't allow flood insurance anymore?

How about storms? Hurricanes... Did some research and it seems that the Keys didn't get hit as much as I expected it to say! Pretty much any damage done to your property is all of your responsibility?
My parents' home is insured. Windstorm insurance is very expensive down there, but in my opinion, it would be foolish NOT to have it; the Keys are in the paths of hurricanes quite frequently. In recent years, Hurricanes Georges (1998) and Wilma (2005) have caused quite a bit of flooding and wind damage to the Lower Keys. Weaker hurricanes and tropical storms have hit the area many more times; those usually don't cause much of a disruption in anything. The Middle Keys and Upper Keys have been extraordinarily lucky in recent years; they haven't gotten a direct hit in a long time. The Upper Keys got some minor wind damage from Hurricane Andrew (1992), but the eye of the storm hit deep South Dade on the mainland and spared the Keys of the catastrophic damage. It was truly awful, and Andrew taught many people that if a strong storm is coming, you should evacuate to an area well out of the potential path of the storm. My family has had to evacuate many times over the years; it's probably one of the biggest negatives about living down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida