U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,139,619 times

Advertisements

Now lawmakers, after cutting so much from the school budget, are mandating spending $12,000 per class in order to purchase electronic reading devices for each student, in addition to the cost of books.

I understand wanting to keep up with the times, but is this really the time to think about spending like this?

Lawmakers want to go digital, ditch school textbooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Now lawmakers, after cutting so much from the school budget, are mandating spending $12,000 per class in order to purchase electronic reading devices for each student, in addition to the cost of books.

I understand wanting to keep up with the times, but is this really the time to think about spending like this?

Lawmakers want to go digital, ditch school textbooks
OMG, are they on crack?

How about re-hiring more teachers and funding music/art programs that are proven motivators of students? I'd love to know who our legislators are representing, it's constituents or big business. It would seem the latter.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 PM

374 posts, read 808,927 times
They already did this in Pinellas County. Clearwater High School students had them last year - the first in the nation!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:36 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,205,932 times
I can't imagine that the lifespan of these things would be very long. People treat things differently when they own them verses things owned by a faceless entity.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM

769 posts, read 1,826,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
They already did this in Pinellas County. Clearwater High School students had them last year - the first in the nation!
And that's the same county that just laid off 1,100 teachers (nearly 20%).

Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM

817 posts, read 1,926,669 times
Over time, it saves money on textbook costs, and has multiple other applications that make education easier and better...more assessment can be done directly through these devices, grades can be instantly accessed, communication is quicker, and individualization of learning can be more easily done.

That said, I'm not sure this is the time for it, with budgets what they are. I'd rather have more teachers than new devices.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM

769 posts, read 1,826,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Over time, it saves money on textbook costs, and has multiple other applications that make education easier and better...more assessment can be done directly through these devices, grades can be instantly accessed, communication is quicker, and individualization of learning can be more easily done.

That said, I'm not sure this is the time for it, with budgets what they are. I'd rather have more teachers than new devices.
I don't know about saving money on textbooks. Some of the counties no longer provide each student with a textbook anyway. They just have one per desk to use while they are in school. And technology gets outdated very quickly.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:21 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,205,932 times
I can't be the only one like this, but I hate reading stuff on a screen. The Internet is a little different, because I never read anything longer than a newspaper article or, but I could never sit and read a novel on my computer.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,139,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I can't be the only one like this, but I hate reading stuff on a screen. The Internet is a little different, because I never read anything longer than a newspaper article or, but I could never sit and read a novel on my computer.
I don't like it either. That was actually one of the first things I thought of. I don't even like reading on a Kindle, though they say that's supposed to be easier.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,169,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
They are not back lit like a computer screen and not the same.. I assume you can also adjust the size of the print as well. I think it is a good idea and they have the start over many years with 50% by 5 years. It is the way to go. It will cost hardly more then what they are spending on books now. One tablet for one student will have all the books they need in one tool and can be added to and up dated. Baring the obvious that they can get lost stolen or broken it is the future and the sooner the better.

I actually can't believer this backwards state is even considering such a forward thinking idea. Maybe we have some hope after all. I hope we are getting past the old idiots who think it is a matter of pride to say they don't know anything about computers or email like MCcain used to. It is not quaint anymore to be a bumbling idiot. People like Will Rogers and the use of " Aw Shucks" have been out of our language for 50 years. The complaints are always the same, they revolve around immediate worries both real and imagined. The truth is, there will always be a reason to not do something, if it isn't one thing it will be another. Things get done by doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida