U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2011, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,895 times

Advertisements

I have been vacationing at Panama City, FL for over 7 years and am considering moving there from Illinois. Does anyone have suggestions about valid places to go for job listings, apartment rentals, etc? I have already ordered some information from the Chamber of Commerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,632 times
Don't know if this helps, you can go to PanamaCityMLS.com and has a rental search. Military by Owner has houses for sell and rent. We got our rental thru Dunn Realty in PCB.

Don't have any info on a job search, hubby got a new job in Panama City thru a head-hunter, thats how we relocated. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 36,865 times
what kind of work do you do? Good jobs are VERY scarce in this area and the lack of culture vs what you find in somewhere like chicago are major to say the least. Youll also make substantially less money although the cost of living will be slightly more or slightly less depending on where you live.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 PM

84 posts, read 106,665 times
agree with loves to run. difficult to find work here unless you already have a lead. there's always the News Herald. i think they link to something like emerald coast jobs..?
the MLS site is good for home buying. shimmering sands realty has some rentals.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:05 AM

43 posts, read 69,601 times
Keep in mind that vacationing in PC and living in PC are two very different things. I grew up there, and couldn't get out quickly enough. I love to go back and visit, though. It's great in small doses, but I don't know if I could ever live there again.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:29 PM

580 posts, read 524,744 times
Let me tell you a short story about Chamber of Commerces. About 20 years ago I wanted, not sure why, to move to Knoxville, Tn. Called the Chamber of Commerce....everyone happy, upbeat, friendly, optimistic. I tell them that one of the things I really wanted was a good downtown where you could walk around, shop, eat, find coffee houses, etc. NO PROBLEM they said. Knoxville is your place!

So, I move there, and the downtown looks like it probably did after the War Between the States. Bombed out, baby. I mean, gutted buildings, empty buildings, vacant lots. Wasn't pretty. I talked to one of the locals and asked "How long has it looked like this downtown"? Guy looks around, thinks a minute, and says "Oh, about 30 years". Ka Boom. I never even acknowledge that Chamber of Commerces even exist anymore. To me, they don't. The irony is that I loved the people down there, and it was probably a nice place (but it IS the woods).

I used to live in Panama City. For what it's worth, there's a reason they call it the Redneck Riviera.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,996 times
I've grown up in Panama City, and as far as I can tell, the only jobs available are Waffle House and Hardy's. I think if you're looking for more of a Florida experience and less of a southern Alabama experience, you may want to go farther south.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:12 AM

48 posts, read 86,889 times
Yeah... PC ain't so great to live in.

UNLESS, you live on the beach or in most places in Lynn Haven. The whole place has a country vibe to it so if that deters you then don't move. Not that country is bad... Just some big city people can't adjust. Spring and summer is fun but the off season is boring. For a job, you'll definitely need a useable degree and/or experience.

I live in Parker (not Callaway, there's a difference gotdammit),it's okay. This town isn't as "divided" as others in the sense that you can find a very nice neighborhood with 300,000 dollar homes right down the street from trailer park. which doesn't bother me too much but some people might have a problem with it.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:42 PM

16 posts, read 23,929 times
If you've been vacationing down here for the past 7 years, then why in the name of everything good do you want to move here? You ought to have an idea of what it's like here. You must of been drunk and passed-out each time you were here.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 PM

419 posts, read 361,538 times
Do some research, its called the Red Neck Riviera for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida