U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:37 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,256,020 times

Advertisements

WOW, I imagine that a soda is $10.00

The price of magic goes up this weekend at Walt Disney World, where the basic adult ticket is climbing 6 percent to a record $71.

Disney on Friday announced a whole range of new ticket prices that take effect Sunday. The price changes also affect the discount packages that still can push the per-day cost below $23 for adults who want to commit to as much as a 10-day run at Disney's four theme parks.

But almost all the prices are going up. And for the second year in a row, Disney is raising its prices in August rather than in December or January, when theme parks historically announced price increases.

Disney's increase came just two days after Walt Disney Co. announced a $1.1 billion corporate profit and another good quarter at the company's theme parks, where profit margins were exceeding 20 percent. Should they give the Florida residents a free ticket because of the 20% gains?

Old 08-03-2007, 03:58 PM

51 posts, read 263,235 times
This is why most people are changing plans. If you want a better deal go to ambush parks. You can buy a year pass to bush garden and sea world for only 134.00 and go to the parks for entire years, is a good deal.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,364,730 times
Bad decision for Disney World. That's going to hurt them. It will definitely turn the locals to other venues.

I was at Disney (Magic Kingdom) just a couple of weekends ago. Here were some of my not-so-great observations:

1. The monorail is over 30 years old and looks every day of it! It is dated and grungy looking for Disney. This is usually the first part of someone's trip into the Magic Kindgom, and the last thing they see. Besides the Trams that are loud and dated as well. A lot of what you see from the monorail are dirty roof tops - yes I notice these kinds of things.

2. Mainstreet and Cinderlella's Castle were well maintained - I was impressed with that part.

3. There isn't enough greenspace or shade trees - the landscaping used to be beautiful, I'm not sure what happend to it.

4. The rides in Fantasy Land (small world, Poo ride, etc.) were very dated - old technology. I'm not saying that they need to reinvent the themes of those rides, but come on, the boats on small world were old and grungy; nothing is done to cover up the warehouse-looking ceilings and walls; the mechanical dolls were kind of interesting in the '70's, but geeeeeeeezzzzz!

5. Space Mountain needs a facelift - inside and out.

6. The Lelo and Stich(sp?) thing - what the heck was that about?

I could go on and on about the aging of Disney World, but why bother. Disney, go ahead and raise your prices; you ain't fooling us locals any longer. I'll be back, if/when they completely modernize the rides that they have at the Magic Kingdom, especially at those prices!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Poo ride
Well, I can go on a poo ride at home . I agree that the park is in serious need of some updating. It's showing its age.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:34 PM

277 posts, read 276,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
WOW, I imagine that a soda is $10.00

The price of magic goes up this weekend at Walt Disney World, where the basic adult ticket is climbing 6 percent to a record $71.

Disney on Friday announced a whole range of new ticket prices that take effect Sunday. The price changes also affect the discount packages that still can push the per-day cost below $23 for adults who want to commit to as much as a 10-day run at Disney's four theme parks.

But almost all the prices are going up. And for the second year in a row, Disney is raising its prices in August rather than in December or January, when theme parks historically announced price increases.

Disney's increase came just two days after Walt Disney Co. announced a $1.1 billion corporate profit and another good quarter at the company's theme parks, where profit margins were exceeding 20 percent. Should they give the Florida residents a free ticket because of the 20% gains?
I am a yearly passholder and have been one since 2003. The price on the yearly pass, with no blackout dates, has only gone up by 11.75 in 4 years. I am sticking with my Disney plan. I am looking, in the not so distant future, to receiving a lifetime pass. I know that these are offered, but I just need to find out more details to this.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:19 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,346,038 times
Think about it though. how much of their profits come from people who actually live in FL? Probably not very much. Their profits come from the tourists. People from all over the world come here just to go to Disney, stay at the Disney hotels because they probably bought a package deal to begin with, have to buy every disney souvineir they see to take home. To them it's a once in a lifetime trip, to us, it's just another FL park to go to if we got some extra spending money to burn and we can turn around and drive back home the same day or find a hotel on the outskirts of Orlando at a much cheaper rate. I can think of other things i'd rather do in FL than spend it on a day at the park standing in line for 30 minutes for a ride in the swealtering heat.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:43 PM

277 posts, read 276,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Think about it though. how much of their profits come from people who actually live in FL? Probably not very much. Their profits come from the tourists. People from all over the world come here just to go to Disney, stay at the Disney hotels because they probably bought a package deal to begin with, have to buy every disney souvineir they see to take home. To them it's a once in a lifetime trip, to us, it's just another FL park to go to if we got some extra spending money to burn and we can turn around and drive back home the same day or find a hotel on the outskirts of Orlando at a much cheaper rate. I can think of other things i'd rather do in FL than spend it on a day at the park standing in line for 30 minutes for a ride in the swealtering heat.
Bingo! And Floridians get a break in every sense of the word. With the help of the Florida Beaches, Key West, and other theme parts, we pay 0 income tax on what we earn. I will gladly buy the annual pass to Disney. I want a lifetime pass though.

It is so interesting what we Floridians take for granted. People will save money for 5, or even for 10 years, for that one opportunity to go to Walt Disney World. Here is a brow raiser for you, I lived in Charlotte and came to Disney World on my first trip to Florida. We spent close to 3000.00 on the gifts and food. It was worth it. We came back 3 years later and did not spend as much, but had just as magical of a journey. We moved here 2 months later and took advantage of the Florida discounts and yearly pass. Best thing in the world and to boot, we get to Disney World in an hour with the latest and greatest I-4 expansion.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,346,038 times
I remember growing up in N.H. we didn't have much money and never really had a vacation other than going to the beach for 1 day but I remember my mom saying we are going to Disney World some day and that she was saving her pennies. Well, it never happened but never in my life have i even thought i would LIVE in FL let alone visit the state. Met a guy in N.H. who lived in FL and being 18 and adventurous, packed up and moved down with him never living anywhere else other than N.H. and been here 13 years now (no long with the same guy after 8 years buy hey, my choice). Finally made it to all the parks in FL at least once. My family enjoys coming to FL for vacations now. They too have never been to the parks until i moved here which made things a bit easier and less expensive. I also live just 45 minutes from Orlando and 1 hour from Tampa.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 PM

541 posts, read 1,816,289 times
There used to be a lifetime pass years and years ago. It is no longer for sale but every now and then you may come across someone who has one (mostly locals.) Some guests like Dave MacPherson (Disneyland's first paying guest) also got a lifetime pass.

Disneyland 50 Years of Souvenirs: First Public Ticket Sold (broken link)

Emmalee Mason the 2,000,000,000 Disneyland guest just won lifetime passes for her family.

Keep to the Code - The Official Fan site of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Movies!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:52 PM

541 posts, read 1,816,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post

4. The rides in Fantasy Land (small world, Poo ride, etc.) were very dated - old technology. I'm not saying that they need to reinvent the themes of those rides, but come on, the boats on small world were old and grungy; nothing is done to cover up the warehouse-looking ceilings and walls; the mechanical dolls were kind of interesting in the '70's, but geeeeeeeezzzzz!
Just to let you know The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh opened a few years ago-it replaced Mr. Toads Wild Ride. I liked Toad better- I am just saying it is fairly new. It's A Small World is a classic that started at the NY Worlds Fair (1964-65.) It just had a complete rehab and most of the dolls have more advanced "skins", costuming, etc.. on them now. The music system, queue area and sets were also updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida