U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2006, 10:00 AM

27 posts, read 150,968 times

Advertisements

I have been lurking here awhile and just have to post my thoughts on this subject. I am a 31 year old native Floridian (believe it or not LOL)...and even more shocking, my mother is a native Floridan as well. I have been all over this state and can truly say I love it here and have no plans of ever moving away.

Now that being said, I've noticed many people will post here about looking to move to Florida and where would a good place be for career oriented jobs with better pay along with a nice neighborhood to live in. Many responses come from folks that live in smaller towns away from metro areas where, while I'm sure can be very picturesque, for the most part is not going to provide the kind of jobs many people need. For example, a 30's/40's age professional moving from N.J. looking to continue his/her career would be met with a post stating, "Auburndale is the BEST!". It just doesn't match up and shouldn't be the stock answer for everyone. I also resent the idea that if you *don't* live in a rural, out-of-the-way area you automatically live in "cesspool". This type of thing is said by people who really have a very limited knowledge of Florida. Here's is a great quote from Delilah (from another thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
There are many great family areas in Florida! However....not all of them have strong job markets. I would strongly recommend securing a job first. You will probably find work near a major metro area, such as Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Orlando, Tallahasse or Tampa. Then focus in on the best suburban towns, such as in Fort Lauderdale area I would pick Coral Springs. In Miami, I would pick Miami Lakes. In Boca Raton, I would pick Wellington. In Orlando, I heard was nice Lake Mary. I am not so familiar with Tampa or Tallahassee.

I would move in a heartbeat to areas like Port St. Lucie, Cape Coral, Clewiston, etc. But there are not many career opportunities, many people from South Florida have relocated to these areas & then they come back because of jobs.

Florida unlike the NY/NJ area does not have a great commuter system, so you drive everywhere & live as close to everything as possible.
I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I grew up in Dade County. years ago and then lived in the Coral Springs/Broward Cty. area up until 2001. I have a good paying job that I'm very happy with in a metro area, but I felt Broward County was getting to be a tight fit for me. So when it came time to purchase a new home I decided how far I could comfortably (30 min. or less) commute each day and decided upon a wonderful community in West Boynton Beach. While I do admire the small town atmosphere going towards North Florida and the West Coast, it can be difficult to make a really good salary in these areas. This is meant in no way as a negative, just a reality that many people face. There are beautiful family neighborhoods near metro areas as long as you keep your eyes and *options* open. So while I still work in a "downtown" type atmosphere, I can come home to a quiet, friendly neighborhood and enjoy being only a few miles away from a national wildlife refuge in one direction, the Wellington Green mall in the other and a short drive to West Palm Beach City Place, muesums, beaches, ect.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 AM

9 posts, read 15,573 times
Wow, another multi-generational native Floridian! Unreal on this forum. Unfortunately it's getting unreal in the REST of Florida, too...

Your statements about the job market are true if you are locked in to working for a major corporation. If this is the case, living in a suburb of a large city is for you. However, small business owners have unlimited potential in any size city in Florida. I've owned a small business in the middle of Jax (very North Florida) and Port Charlotte (SW Coast) and was equally succesful both places. Both places were very affordable before the housing boom and offered their own brand of activity.

I'm going to stick to my original statement. Florida would have less problems and everyone would be happier if we all focused on ENJOYING TODAY rather than searching elsewhere for greener pastures.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 22,248 times
I am moving to the Kissimmee area just south of Orlando next week. Coming from Southern California. To a place in the suburbs of Old town Kissimmee, just off of Toho lake. Surrounding us are natural park's galore. We are close enough to everything Disney and Universal, yes premium passes will be bought for all amusement parks.... As well as close enough to downtown Orlando and Kissimmee's more central locations. So we get the beauty of country living, and are close enough to city life. Plus the beach is 30 minutes away, as well as the best lakes anywhere for fishing and water sports. Very important to us life time surfers and water sport fanatics.

We also get the advantages of living in a beautiful resort like guard gated community with it's own docks on lake toho named Bellalago...in a comfortable 3.800 Sq foot home. The Disney Imagineers gave my Brother and I an offer we could not refuse.

We also spend 3 to 4 months of the year in Europe, so we are now half way there compared to where we were in So. California...So we found our perfect fit. I think there is a nice fit, or close to one for everyone if they look hard enough, and know more or less what they want.... See you next week Florida...

Last edited by Michael M.; 08-30-2006 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-31-2006, 06:33 AM

243 posts, read 1,011,697 times
Default Hit the nail on its head

I'm also a 31 yr old native, born in Broward but grew up in Dade. I frankly don't know how many of these folks make livings in these small FL towns. Yes if you own your own business, or if you're a CPA, a lawyer , or a doctor you might make a go of it. Otherwise it's mainly Walmart and Jiffy Lube jobs. While few really enjoy the traffic and crowds of Dade/Broward, I'll gladly put up with it for the opportunities here. My parents retired to Vero Beach several years ago, and while it's a beautiful place it's hard to make anything over $20/hr up there unless you're a lawyer or doctor. The irony is that renting or buying a comparable beachfront condo like I live in here in Broward costs nearly the same up there. It's only cheaper to rent or buy inland up there versus inland here, but live on the beach and you're facing very similar costs. And as someone who grew up inland but has lived on the beach for nealy 10 years now, I strongly recommend living on the beach.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:55 AM

SunnyDog - Glad that you see where I'm coming from! It's good to hear someone else in a similar situation. I was starting to wonder if there was anyone here living near/working in a major Florida city in order to secure the type of income they need...and being content and even (gasp!) happy with their life.

Michael M. - Congrats on your new home and impending move! It sounds like you'll be enjoying the best the Orlando area has to offer. And I think you'll certainly notice your dollar going a bit further here than the SoCal area. The company I work for has a location in Orlando, but it would mean making nearly 25% less than the same publishing related job I hold now in South Florida, so I'm happy to stay put for now.

LuvOldFlorida - I will agree with SunnyDog here and say that doctors/lawyers, private business owners, snowbirds, ect. have a lot more flexibility in this situation than most. For the rest of us though, it's about finding a satisfying balance between working for a nice salary and living in a beautiful and safe neighborhood. I think it just bothered me that many posts here would lead a non-Floridian to believe that living near a major metro area is a hands-down bad thing when that's just not the case. But I am with you all the way on ENJOYING TODAY We all have some things that bug us about where we live...but we live in FLORIDA for goodness sake! Roll with it and get the most out of life instead of focusing on the negative. When I travel for business or to visit my husband's family in the Northeast, I am always so happy to return here.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,406,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFawn View Post
SunnyDog - Glad that you see where I'm coming from! It's good to hear someone else in a similar situation. I was starting to wonder if there was anyone here living near/working in a major Florida city in order to secure the type of income they need...and being content and even (gasp!) happy with their life.

Michael M. - Congrats on your new home and impending move! It sounds like you'll be enjoying the best the Orlando area has to offer. And I think you'll certainly notice your dollar going a bit further here than the SoCal area. The company I work for has a location in Orlando, but it would mean making nearly 25% less than the same publishing related job I hold now in South Florida, so I'm happy to stay put for now.

LuvOldFlorida - I will agree with SunnyDog here and say that doctors/lawyers, private business owners, snowbirds, ect. have a lot more flexibility in this situation than most. For the rest of us though, it's about finding a satisfying balance between working for a nice salary and living in a beautiful and safe neighborhood. I think it just bothered me that many posts here would lead a non-Floridian to believe that living near a major metro area is a hands-down bad thing when that's just not the case. But I am with you all the way on ENJOYING TODAY We all have some things that bug us about where we live...but we live in FLORIDA for goodness sake! Roll with it and get the most out of life instead of focusing on the negative. When I travel for business or to visit my husband's family in the Northeast, I am always so happy to return here.
You say you are only 31 years old and that only gives you an adult time frame of like 12 or 13 years, you don't really know what it used to be like here. I don't travel as much as I used but I used to be like you, when I got home, it was great to be back. Then it begins to not be that way. I honestly come back now and want to leave again right away, it is no longer the place I used to call home.

My time frame by the way goes back to the early 1950's when this place was an almost untouched paradise. I am more then ready to move on the best of South Florida has come and gone. I have been places that I find much nicer then South Florida and want now to stay ahead of the curve. I don't worry about future growth, it is actually good but when it reaches a point that the quality of life begins to diminish then maybe move on.

South Florida is like a used car, the new owners may like it but they should have seen it when it was new, clean and not full of rust. There is much here for the newcomer to be enjoyed but not for the long term residents, it would be impossible not to resent the way the place has been destroyed, at least from my perspective. I hope you have to objectivity to see why many of us feel like we do.

That is not to say you can't live a nice life here. I think it was Thomas Wolfe who said, "You can't go home again". I don't know if that is true or not but we can hope and try. The new Florida is your future and that is as it should be, nothing is forever.

This is not meant to be a debate of any kind, just explain why at least I feel like I do. Actually I am not leaving Florida, just leaving South Florida for a part of Florida a little more like I remember.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You say you are only 31 years old and that only gives you an adult time frame of like 12 or 13 years, you don't really know what it used to be like here.
True on my age, however all 31 of those years have been spent living in South Florida...from being born and growing up in Miami to spending my 20's in the Coral Springs area and finally purchasing my home nearly 5 years ago in West Boynton. I too have seen alot myself and have many memories of places and things down here that simply don't exist in the same way anymore. (My grandparents moved here in 1946 and raised their family in South Florida. My parents belonged to the Good Sam RV club and from the late 70's through the 80's our summers were spent camping in all the wonderful areas of Florida from the Ocala Forest (Six Gun Territory anyone? ) to the Keys). *However* while it might be in the cards for some to hold on to that vision of a Florida from years back and move north in order to keep that same "feel", others are happy to be adaptive and enjoy the current lifestyle and modern culture of the area....different strokes for different folks.

Everything else aside, I think the original intent of my post was to let folks know that are making the big move to Florida (due to a job transfer or whatnot) that you can have that lucrative job in one of the metro areas and still live in what many would consider to be a nice family neighborhood. For other posters to refer to S.Fl. as a cesspool simply because it no longer fits their vision of Vintage Florida doesn't mean this wouldn't be a fabulous place for another person to move to. Everyone is entitiled to their opinions I just thought it only fair to offer a different view from someone that was born, raised, currently lives and doesn't plan on moving...from South Florida.

Good luck on your move I'm glad you've found a new place for yourself in Florida that gives you what you miss.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:44 AM

25 posts, read 109,713 times
I work in Broward County for a small employer (it is only me & my boss) & my husband is a Graphic Designer for small company. We sent out resumes on the SW Coast & PSL area. All the job offers, were paying 25 to 50% less than in South Florida. Yes, housing is 10 to 20% cheaper, but all other expenses are the same. It just does not add up for us. I know alot of people that have had to return from these small towns back to Miami & Fort Lauderdale due to jobs.

Basically I feel as if you are a family-oriented & live a peaceful life (parks, beach, movies, boating, family dining)...there is a place for you in Fort Lauderdale & Miami. If you live an outgoing lifesytle (night clubs, fine dining, opera, concerts, haute fashion, international events, etc.)...there is also a place for you in Fort Lauderdale & Miami. It is about options with work, play & living. I don't sit in traffic or congestions each day, I live in a peaceful suburb, my kids go to an A-Rated School & I have great weather year round...not bad!

I love Florida's small towns, but it is hard for us 30-somethings!

By The Way--- I am also a Native (born & raised).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOldFlorida View Post
Wow, another multi-generational native Floridian! Unreal on this forum. Unfortunately it's getting unreal in the REST of Florida, too...

Your statements about the job market are true if you are locked in to working for a major corporation. If this is the case, living in a suburb of a large city is for you. However, small business owners have unlimited potential in any size city in Florida. I've owned a small business in the middle of Jax (very North Florida) and Port Charlotte (SW Coast) and was equally succesful both places. Both places were very affordable before the housing boom and offered their own brand of activity.

I'm going to stick to my original statement. Florida would have less problems and everyone would be happier if we all focused on ENJOYING TODAY rather than searching elsewhere for greener pastures.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 AM

67 posts, read 422,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFawn View Post
I have been lurking here awhile and just have to post my thoughts on this subject. I am a 31 year old native Floridian (believe it or not LOL)...and even more shocking, my mother is a native Floridan as well. I have been all over this state and can truly say I love it here and have no plans of ever moving away.

Now that being said, I've noticed many people will post here about looking to move to Florida and where would a good place be for career oriented jobs with better pay along with a nice neighborhood to live in. Many responses come from folks that live in smaller towns away from metro areas where, while I'm sure can be very picturesque, for the most part is not going to provide the kind of jobs many people need. For example, a 30's/40's age professional moving from N.J. looking to continue his/her career would be met with a post stating, "Auburndale is the BEST!". It just doesn't match up and shouldn't be the stock answer for everyone. I also resent the idea that if you *don't* live in a rural, out-of-the-way area you automatically live in "cesspool". This type of thing is said by people who really have a very limited knowledge of Florida. Here's is a great quote from Delilah (from another thread):

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I grew up in Dade County. years ago and then lived in the Coral Springs/Broward Cty. area up until 2001. I have a good paying job that I'm very happy with in a metro area, but I felt Broward County was getting to be a tight fit for me. So when it came time to purchase a new home I decided how far I could comfortably (30 min. or less) commute each day and decided upon a wonderful community in West Boynton Beach. While I do admire the small town atmosphere going towards North Florida and the West Coast, it can be difficult to make a really good salary in these areas. This is meant in no way as a negative, just a reality that many people face. There are beautiful family neighborhoods near metro areas as long as you keep your eyes and *options* open. So while I still work in a "downtown" type atmosphere, I can come home to a quiet, friendly neighborhood and enjoy being only a few miles away from a national wildlife refuge in one direction, the Wellington Green mall in the other and a short drive to West Palm Beach City Place, muesums, beaches, ect.

since you're from Florida and have also traveled to other places i think ur the perfect person to get some advice from....if you don't mind. I'm 34, newly single and just relocated from Chicago to Port Orange (next to Daytona Beach) about 8 months ago, but there's no work for me here...so i'm thinking of moving more south toward WPB or palm beach garden areas OR New York City....does WPB have good nightlife, beaches, restaurants, shopping etc...also does it have ample work available? I'm a legal secretary so i can't see it NOT having opportunties, but i don't know if i'm bn naive....can u help me out with any feedback/info? also ARE THERE CUTE GUYS THERE?!?!....lol...

Last edited by sunrico90; 04-10-2008 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Older thread from 2006, start a new one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida