Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Love living in Broward County, crime rates below national average, rude people and neighbors, terrible traffic, third world invasions, wearing rose colored glasses

View Poll Results: I like living in Broward County, whats wrong with me?
You are wearing rose colored glasses 8 28.57%
There is something wrong with you 3 10.71%
You have never seen better 3 10.71%
Nothing, it's almost acceptable 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:12 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times

Advertisements

no there is nothing wrong with you. On my recent visit my expectations were set so low because of this board that I was amazed. My only complaint would be that some parts of broward and PBC are a bit suburban and boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I like living in Broward County, and after seeing much of the country, I am usually happy to get home. Is there something wrong with me? With the "bad crime" (Below national average) and "Rude people" (like my friendly neighbors that say Hi to me and look out for me) and the "terrible traffic" (oooohhh, the bottleneck on 595 at University Drive on Friday at 5!!!!) and "third world invasions" (10 percent of Broward hispanics fell below poverty vs. a WHOPPING 11 percent of its overall population(compare to 13.3 percent of U.S),and if you want to see the demographics http://www.city-data.com/city/Weston-Florida.html of Browards most heavily Hispanic city, here you go!) . Maybe there is nothing wrong with me at all, so maybe I am just wearing rose colored glasses? Obviously it sucks, so I didn't put a "nothing, its great" option, so which do you think applies to me?

Oh, and in addition, I haven't considered GA, NC, or TN yet. Anything wrong with me on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
no there is nothing wrong with you. On my recent visit my expectations were set so low because of this board that I was amazed. My only complaint would be that some parts of broward and PBC are a bit suburban and boring.
Ah. Perhaps they're a blessing in disguise.

Let's get more people to join!

LOL, jk

Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 AM

120 posts, read 170,427 times
I think young people love Broward County. However, I think once people start having kids, their views change. When you're young you like the fast paced, party lifestyle that South Florida has to offer. Once you have kids though, partying isn't so important anymore. You have better things to worry about than what you will be doing when Friday night comes. When I was in my teens I thought Miami/Ft. Lauderdale was the best thing out there. I couldn't wait to leave Ft. Myers and move to South Florida. However, I wouldn't live there now if you bought me a house and gave me a job. I really don't like it at all over there. I don't think the beaches are what they are made out to be (I'm sure some people feel the same way about the SW FL beaches also), I don't think the job market over there is what people make it out to be, and overall I feel it is very over-rated. I think it is a community that prides itself on diversity. Thats great for young people. However, I wouldn't want to raise my kids in a community where everything goes. I don't want to live in an area that publicly makes it known that they are the #1 gay/lesbian travel destination in the country. Do I have anything against gay people. Absolutely not! I do have a problem with a county catering to a specific group of people for the sake of being "diverse." I think it is an area that is great for young people, but I would put it last on my list of family friendly places in Florida.

I don't know your age so I can't really judge whether or not you're looking through "rose colored glasses." Everyone has a different opinion. Everyone has likes and dislikes. You can't really say someone is close-minded or wrong because they choose to live in a certain area. Everyone has a different taste hence the reason we have so many cities in this country to choose from.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
It's just in my opinion that we have everything here...we have real family communities like Davie, and then we also have that "Everything goes" thing. Fort Lauderdale is a fraction of the county...it's no different from any other metro area I have seen really. It has a tolerant liberal urban area, a small inner city area between I-95 and the Turnpike, and a rather large suburbia from there on that most people don't have a reason to go see (Well, it's suburbia, you can see it anywhere!), so they think that it doesn't exist. I am also a firm believer of instilling values in your own children. Doesn't matter what "family values" are in a community either, because you are raising your children in the community, the community is not raising your children. There are actually a couple of public high schools down here where there isn't much violence, students are getting prepared for college, and there is not such an excess push on materialism, but the values of diversity ARE placed. Are the more per capita elsewhere? Absolutely. But don't tell me it doesn't exist.

I actually do think the beaches are somewhat overrated. The water is gorgeous, but I actually prefer most of the SW FL beaches. The crowds annoy me on this coast. The only one I don't like is Fort Myers Beach because of the runoff. I mean, I probably wouldn't move here again due to the cost of living, but there still as good as you can find in an urban, suburban, or even rural area is available down here...

I can understand people here leaving because they picked the wrong area, can't afford to move to another area here, could care less about the sunshine/don't have family here, and can obviously live cheaper in a city like Raleigh.Also, this place can be downright hard to survive in. I would never ever EVER move here without a job rounded up, or move here for its fabulous economy. What I don't understand is how someone can stereotype the entire area because they decided to ditch it for personal reasons, when all they really know is the area they chose to live in, which in most cases either wasn't the fit for them, or they didn't do their research, irresponsibly moved there, and now they think all of South Florida is hell. They suddenly decide to become content with where they live when they leave, and they couldn't just do it here. Then what happens when you try and say that? "Oh, well, um,I don't know anyone else that likes it". Go read the Atlanta forum. They are really fooling themselves into thinking that the QUALITY OF LIFE there is superior due to "Family values" because they moved to Gwinnett County. Instead, they just spend their lives sitting in traffic to a caliber that was above where they left (yet the drivers are just as bad, I have been there several times, and when they all say I should move up, I just say "no thanks"), breathing polluted air, sending their kids to school that are only perceived to be better (GA was one of the only states with a lower Grad. rate than our own, yet their schools are better funded and have the same exact ratio of economically disadvantaged kids at 47%), and being 10 miles from a "ghetto" culture that is way beyond what you will find in the Fort Lauderdale area! Not to mention the Atlanta area is full of crime. Anyway, thats just an example. The only place I could see my self moving to to improve my QUALITY OF LIFE for a family is the southeast would be the Raleigh. Otherwise, I would just move to Long Island where half of my family is and the schools are REALLY are good and the crime rate is REALLY low, but then again, South Florida gives a much better run for your money...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-07-2007 at 09:17 AM..

Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,557 times
Thumbs up I agree with you 100%

[quote=fort lauderdale;1226776]It's just in my opinion that we have everything here...we have real family communities like Davie, and then we also have that "Everything goes" thing. Fort Lauderdale is a fraction of the county...it's no different from any other metro area I have seen really. It has a tolerant liberal urban area, a small inner city area between I-95 and the Turnpike, and a rather large suburbia from there on that most people don't have a reason to go see (Well, it's suburbia, you can see it anywhere!), so they think that it doesn't exist. I am also a firm believer of instilling values in your own children. Doesn't matter what "family values" are in a community either, because you are raising your children in the community, the community is not raising your children. There are actually a couple of public high schools down here where there isn't much violence, students are getting prepared for college, and there is not such an excess push on materialism, but the values of diversity ARE placed. Are the more per capita elsewhere? Absolutely. But don't tell me it doesn't exist.

I actually do think the beaches are somewhat overrated. The water is gorgeous, but I actually prefer most of the SW FL beaches. The crowds annoy me on this coast. The only one I don't like is Fort Myers Beach because of the runoff. I mean, I probably wouldn't move here again due to the cost of living, but there still as good as you can find in an urban, suburban, or even rural area is available down here...

I can understand people here leaving because they picked the wrong area, can't afford to move to another area here, could care less about the sunshine/don't have family here, and can obviously live cheaper in a city like Raleigh.Also, this place can be downright hard to survive in. I would never ever EVER move here without a job rounded up, or move here for its fabulous economy. What I don't understand is how someone can stereotype the entire area because they decided to ditch it for personal reasons, when all they really know is the area they chose to live in, which in most cases either wasn't the fit for them, or they didn't do their research, irresponsibly moved there, and now they think all of South Florida is hell. They suddenly decide to become content with where they live when they leave, and they couldn't just do it here. Then what happens when you try and say that? "Oh, well, um,I don't know anyone else that likes it". Go read the Atlanta forum. They are really fooling themselves into thinking that the QUALITY OF LIFE there is superior due to "Family values" because they moved to Gwinnett County. Instead, they just spend their lives sitting in traffic to a caliber that was above where they left (yet the drivers are just as bad, I have been there several times, and when they all say I should move up, I just say "no thanks"), breathing polluted air, sending their kids to school that are only perceived to be better (GA was one of the only states with a lower Grad. rate than our own, yet their schools are better funded and have the same exact ratio of economically disadvantaged kids at 47%), and being 10 miles from a "ghetto" culture that is way beyond what you will find in the Fort Lauderdale area! Not to mention the Atlanta area is full of crime. Anyway, thats just an example. The only place I could see my self moving to to improve my QUALITY OF LIFE for a family is the southeast would be the Raleigh. Otherwise, I would just move to Long Island where half of my family is and the schools are REALLY are good and the crime rate is REALLY low, but then again, South Florida gives a much better run for your money...[/QUOTE

I moved to Buckhead sold my house in west miramar and I am out of here next month moving back to west miramar. I rented in what I thought was a pretty exclusive area. My home was broken into and my tires were stolen off my BMW, this was the biggest mistake of my life. The grass is not always greener on the otherside. They hyped (atlanta georiga) this place up so much that how great it is I was in traffic so much I was practically living out of my car.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:35 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
[quote=missyflorida;1227004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
It's just in my opinion that we have everything here...we have real family communities like Davie, and then we also have that "Everything goes" thing. Fort Lauderdale is a fraction of the county...it's no different from any other metro area I have seen really. It has a tolerant liberal urban area, a small inner city area between I-95 and the Turnpike, and a rather large suburbia from there on that most people don't have a reason to go see (Well, it's suburbia, you can see it anywhere!), so they think that it doesn't exist. I am also a firm believer of instilling values in your own children. Doesn't matter what "family values" are in a community either, because you are raising your children in the community, the community is not raising your children. There are actually a couple of public high schools down here where there isn't much violence, students are getting prepared for college, and there is not such an excess push on materialism, but the values of diversity ARE placed. Are the more per capita elsewhere? Absolutely. But don't tell me it doesn't exist.

I can understand people here leaving because they picked the wrong area, can't afford to move to another area here, could care less about the sunshine/don't have family here, and can obviously live cheaper in a city like Raleigh.Also, this place can be downright hard to survive in. I would never ever EVER move here without a job rounded up, or move here for its fabulous economy. What I don't understand is how someone can stereotype the entire area because they decided to ditch it for personal reasons, when all they really know is the area they chose to live in, which in most cases either wasn't the fit for them, or they didn't do their research, irresponsibly moved there, and now they think all of South Florida is hell. They suddenly decide to become content with where they live when they leave, and they couldn't just do it here. Then what happens when you try and say that? "Oh, well, um,I don't know anyone else that likes it". Go read the Atlanta forum. They are really fooling themselves into thinking that the QUALITY OF LIFE there is superior due to "Family values" because they moved to Gwinnett County. Instead, they just spend their lives sitting in traffic to a caliber that was above where they left (yet the drivers are just as bad, I have been there several times, and when they all say I should move up, I just say "no thanks"), breathing polluted air, sending their kids to school that are only perceived to be better (GA was one of the only states with a lower Grad. rate than our own, yet their schools are better funded and have the same exact ratio of economically disadvantaged kids at 47%), and being 10 miles from a "ghetto" culture that is way beyond what you will find in the Fort Lauderdale area! Not to mention the Atlanta area is full of crime. Anyway, thats just an example. The only place I could see my self moving to to improve my QUALITY OF LIFE for a family is the southeast would be the Raleigh. Otherwise, I would just move to Long Island where half of my family is and the schools are REALLY are good and the crime rate is REALLY low, but then again, South Florida gives a much better run for your money...[/QUOTE

I moved to Buckhead sold my house in west miramar and I am out of here next month moving back to west miramar. I rented in what I thought was a pretty exclusive area. My home was broken into and my tires were stolen off my BMW, this was the biggest mistake of my life. The grass is not always greener on the otherside. They hyped (atlanta georiga) this place up so much that how great it is I was in traffic so much I was practically living out of my car.
You only have the two choices, Miramar or Buckhead? It doesn't sound like you thought out your original plan any more then your decision to move back. You left Miramar for some reason and I am sure there is something out there that you were looking for. Your first choice sounds like that wasn't it. Is your plan to start the search over or have you decided Miramar is the best place in the country for you to live and thats it for the rest of your life?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 AM

[quote=macguy;1227070]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You only have the two choices, Miramar or Buckhead? It doesn't sound like you thought out your original plan any more then your decision to move back. You left Miramar for some reason and I am sure there is something out there that you are looking for. Your first choice sounds like that wasn't it. Is your plan to start the search over or have you decided Miramar is the best place in the country for you to live and thats it for the rest of your life?
So you are going to take your personal hatred for South Florida and bash somebody for finding Miramar desirable? Just because I found Atlanta unappealing and worse than South Florida in virtually every category doesn't mean I have to go bashing people who move there. Like I said, Atlanta actually has an economy. We don't. Buckhead is the equivalent of moving to Coral Gables. Nice looking urban community with no substance beyond looks. Duluth is like Coral Springs, Dirverse suburban community with decent schools, Alpharetta is like Weston, planned suburban tract home ness with similarly rated schools. Except you don't sit in hours upon hours of traffic to get around the area down here and you can breathe the air. Point is, there's no type of urban or suburban community anywhere else that you can't find here, and amongst the expense there are actually redeeming factors that are unique to this area. Maybe you still have your nerves rattled from watching Fort Lauderdale turn from a Stuart like city into a major American city, but guess what? Like every other city, people moved outward. That's the reality. Every city was the size of Stuart one time. As they got bigger, big city problems settled and people moved outward to avoid them, but maybe they still enjoy the area in general.

Oh, and that's not it for the rest of her life. Maybe you haven't decided to leave 10 years ago, but she can decide to leave in 5 years if she wants to.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:43 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
[quote=fort lauderdale;1227106]
Quote:

So you are going to take your personal hatred for South Florida and bash somebody for finding Miramar desirable? Just because I found Atlanta unappealing and worse than South Florida in virtually every category, doesn't mean I have to go bashing people who move there. Like I said, Atlanta actually has an economy. We don't.
They left, and came running back like a kid who got hit in the face in a fight. They must have been looking for something different. I think my comments and question is valid. I found their story sad. I would hope they have a little more guts then that.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
They left, and came running back like a kid who got hit in the face in a fight. They must have been looking for something different. I think my comments and question is valid. I found their story sad. I would hope they have a little more guts then that.
I totally edited my post, reread. I kind of did agree with you too really, it seemed too simplistic.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,557 times
Default Response to macguy

[quote=macguy;1227070]
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyflorida View Post
You only have the two choices, Miramar or Buckhead? It doesn't sound like you thought out your original plan any more then your decision to move back. You left Miramar for some reason and I am sure there is something out there that you were looking for. Your first choice sounds like that wasn't it. Is your plan to start the search over or have you decided Miramar is the best place in the country for you to live and thats it for the rest of your life?
I traveled back and forth to georgia over the course of ten years and always wanted to live there. I lost my child only 20 years old, so I decided that I needed a change of scenery so I sold the house and off I went. and yes since I was born and raised in south florida I think that's the best place for me right now. The rest of my life I don't know I guess I could live anywhere I wanted to but for now south florida is where I want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida