Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Love living in Broward County, crime rates below national average, rude people and neighbors, terrible traffic, third world invasions, wearing rose colored glasses

View Poll Results: I like living in Broward County, whats wrong with me?
You are wearing rose colored glasses 8 28.57%
There is something wrong with you 3 10.71%
You have never seen better 3 10.71%
Nothing, it's almost acceptable 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times

Advertisements

I like living in Broward County, and after seeing much of the country, I am usually happy to get home. Is there something wrong with me? With the "bad crime" (Below national average) and "Rude people" (like my friendly neighbors that say Hi to me and look out for me) and the "terrible traffic" (oooohhh, the bottleneck on 595 at University Drive on Friday at 5!!!!) and "third world invasions" (10 percent of Broward hispanics fell below poverty vs. a WHOPPING 11 percent of its overall population(compare to 13.3 percent of U.S),and if you want to see the demographics http://www.city-data.com/city/Weston-Florida.html of Browards most heavily Hispanic city, here you go!) . Maybe there is nothing wrong with me at all, so maybe I am just wearing rose colored glasses? Obviously it sucks, so I didn't put a "nothing, its great" option, so which do you think applies to me?

Oh, and in addition, I haven't considered GA, NC, or TN yet. Anything wrong with me on that?

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-04-2007 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 10:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
You're in a good place for now. Be glad and hope that it does not become like stereotypical South Florida!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I like living in Broward County, and after seeing much of the country, I am usually happy to get home. Is there something wrong with me? With the "bad crime" (Below national average) and "Rude people" (like my friendly neighbors that say Hi to me and look out for me) and the "terrible traffic" (oooohhh, the bottleneck on 595 at University Drive on Friday at 5!!!!) and "third world invasions" (10 percent of Broward hispanics fell below poverty vs. a WHOPPING 11 percent of its overall population(compare to 13.3 percent of U.S),and if you want to see the demographics http://www.city-data.com/city/Weston-Florida.html of Browards most heavily Hispanic city, here you go!) . Maybe there is nothing wrong with me at all, so maybe I am just wearing rose colored glasses? Obviously it sucks, so I didn't put a "nothing, its great" option, so which do you think applies to me?

Oh, and in addition, I haven't considered GA, NC, or TN yet. Anything wrong with me on that?
You don't have any perspective yet. If you were here for say 20 years you would hate what you see. As it is, you don't know the difference so being maybe nicer then some other places you have experienced you like it. You don't have to hate it to see it's short comings though, just be honest and have some objectivity. Except for maybe the weather, there are so many other places superior it is hard to know where to start.

Last edited by macguy; 08-04-2007 at 11:40 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You don't have any perspective yet. If you were here for say 20 years you would hate what you see. As it is, you don't know the difference so being maybe nicer then some other places you have experienced you like it. You don't have to hate it to not see it's short comings though, just be honest and have some objectivity. Except for maybe the weather, there are so many other places superior it is hard to know where to start.
As far as an urban/metropolitan area? I have been around the country, and although I haven't lived in them, I don't see too many differences. I actually see a lot of advantages here. The highway system moves quite freely compared to most areas, there isn't much of a humongous income gap between whites and other racial groups, which makes diversity an element that works here unlike any other place I have seen, it's suburbs are safe,clean, decent looking, its city is grimey with some nice parts here and there (like anywhere else). The main disadvantage I see here is cost of living and crappy education system. Sure, I didn't spend my entire life here, and I didn't see it 20 years ago when it was much, much smaller and less crowded, but the reality is, Broward County has merged into a metropolitan area of 5 million people, and Fort Lauderdale itself has formed as a distinctive metro area amongst the string of development known as Southeast Florida. As far as most metropolitan areas go, from what I have found, its not that bad. Was it nicer 20 years ago? You would be blind to say it wasn't. Is it hell now, since its all grown up? Absolutely not. I'm actually in to living in a larger area, and of course you have a much different perspective than I do because A. You live in the city, I live in an outer upscale suburb and B. I wasn't even born in the amount of time that you have lived here.

Are their nicer cities/metros? ABSOLUTELY!!!! San Diego, San Francisco, maybe Houston (if you like traffic) have impressed me far more, but our suburbs are still as nice as anywhere and have some advantages and not too many disadvantages that are unique to this area. I personally haven't met too many people who have moved here from elsewhere (including places like San Diego, etc) who find it so terrible. They actually seem to really like it.

Since I have seen some of the country, that's why I voted that I was wearing rose colored glasses, LOL!

Will I get tired of it after another 10 years?Probably,I'm into change, but we will see, but it probably has a lot to do with how our counties surrounding us are in 10 years. This county is built out, after all.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-04-2007 at 11:14 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 08:42 AM

Alright, so far, I think I'm just wearing rose colored glasses. Lets see if anyone can convince me otherwise or agrees.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:46 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Wearing rose colored glasses is no worse than the other side of the coin -- those posters who make it seem as though they live in the seventh circle of Hell. (You know who they are!)

What would we call those? People viewing the world through cracked or broken glasses?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

What would we call those? People viewing the world through cracked or broken glasses?
Incompetent? Regardless, even though most of the facts are proving this to be quite good compared to much of the country, I still must be wearing rose colored glasses, because this is hell, and I am supposed to want to move to Atlanta or Johnson City, Tennessee, which are mutually exclusive with higher quality of life, no exceptions whatsoever.

Maybe when I traveled around over the years, I just didn't look hard enough. Is that possible? There is evidently SOMETHING wrong with me, or at least my perception.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You're in a good place for now. Be glad and hope that it does not become like stereotypical South Florida!
Wow Rick, if you say it's not too bad, I guess it really isn't!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Wow Rick, if you say it's not too bad, I guess it really isn't!
It's like a rotten apple, it does not all happen at once. While there is some rot or worms inside, other parts stay delicious, for a while. The eventuality is that it will succumb to decay, but if you are in a good spot enjoy it while it's still delicious!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's like a rotten apple, it does not all happen at once. While there is some rot or worms inside, other parts stay delicious, for a while. The eventuality is that it will succumb to decay, but if you are in a good spot enjoy it while it's still delicious!
You see, I DO agree with this!!! I know all good things must come to an end, but for now, gheez, its fine in this area for now! The bottom part of the apple is rotten, the center is overripe potentially having some of the sweetest meat,but it's still over-ripe, and the top third has inconsistencies between really sweet and really rotten, with worms crawling through the sweet parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida