Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 AM

79 posts, read 210,171 times

Advertisements

The battle has been long and hard, but it looks like the insurance co. is going to win again! PIP (personal injury protection) will no longer exist, so that means when you get injuried in a car accident, you can pay for your own injuries or try to sue the person who hit you. Who ever thought this up must be crazy. First, people can pay for general health care, now if injury occurs in an auto, I have to figure how to pay for it myself? You now your general health care coverage may not cover auto injury, and you can bet that if they do, they will drop that type of coverage real soon. Get a lawyer and sue, yea if you have the money to pay for the lawyer, of but that won't be easy cause you are laid up in the hospital injured from some idiot who hit you and probably does not have any money to pay for your care that he caused! We need to start emailing the congress and Christ to postpone this from going into effect!!!! With the money they make, they can afford to postpone their breaks and do the job they were voted in to do! Protent the people of FL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 10:44 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Scholz View Post
The battle has been long and hard, but it looks like the insurance co. is going to win again! PIP (personal injury protection) will no longer exist, so that means when you get injuried in a car accident, you can pay for your own injuries or try to sue the person who hit you. Who ever thought this up must be crazy. First, people can pay for general health care, now if injury occurs in an auto, I have to figure how to pay for it myself? You now your general health care coverage may not cover auto injury, and you can bet that if they do, they will drop that type of coverage real soon. Get a lawyer and sue, yea if you have the money to pay for the lawyer, of but that won't be easy cause you are laid up in the hospital injured from some idiot who hit you and probably does not have any money to pay for your care that he caused! We need to start emailing the congress and Christ to postpone this from going into effect!!!! With the money they make, they can afford to postpone their breaks and do the job they were voted in to do! Protent the people of FL!
Why would your heath insurance not cover you if you have to go to the hospital from an injury while riding in a car?

Old 08-05-2007, 10:50 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Why would your heath insurance not cover you if you have to go to the hospital from an injury while riding in a car?
My health coverage is like that. Will not cover auto injury, must submit to my auto insurance carrier.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Many insurance carriers for health exclude injuries while in a car. If you are lucky to have health ins. that will cover it, you can bet it is limited and you will have to make sure that if taken by ambulance, that they take you to one on your plan.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:56 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
My health coverage is like that. Will not cover auto injury, must submit to my auto insurance carrier.
That is because they (the auto) would be primary but your health I would bet will pick up at some point. It is not a tough question, call your company and find out for sure.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 AM

You might want to get in touch with your congressperson, cause this can be postponed if enough people get involved. If not, good luck if in auto accident, better have a credit card handy.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:59 AM

If the insuranc excludes auto injury, they do not pay at some point. They excluded it from coverage. You would have to find a policy that includes auto injury, but wait to you see how much that is going to cost you. And you can bet, no employeers are going to include that in the package!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 AM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
My husband was hit and our insurance DID cover all his costs. We never seen a dime for medical coverage from the driver that hit him. So I do not care one way or the other about it.

I only carry Full Coverage on my new car (it is paid off)... all our other cars are Older Sports Cars (collector cars), but we can afford to replace any of them... They are all in excellent condition, it would make us mad if they were wrecked, but even with insurance you may not get a dime in an accident.

Last edited by MyHomeIsInOcala; 08-05-2007 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-05-2007, 11:14 AM

Default PIP insurance or Health?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
My husband was hit and our insurance DID cover all his costs. We never seen a dime for medical coverage from the driver that hit him. So I do not care one way or the other about it.

I only carry Full Coverage on my new car (it is paid off)... all our other cars are Older Sports Cars (collector cars), but we can afford to replace any of them... They are all in excellent condition, it would make us mad if they were wrecked, but even with insurance you may not get a dime in an accident.
If the insurance that did cover you was your auto, that is what will go away Oct. 1, your full coverage will be for the replacement or repair on the car, period. Your injuries will be your problem! Now if your health policy covered you, you are one of the lucky few, but I would not count on that in the future. The general health care coverage is not going to want to cover the $$$ involved in many auto accidents. More health ins. companies will exclude it. Now as far as medical coverage from the other driver, if you do not sue, the other ins. is not required to pay your medical. FL no-fault makes your auto. insur. responsible for paying for your care. You need a PIP attorney to get the other party to pay. But don't worry, you won't have the either for long, that goes Oct. 1 as well. Because now no-one will have PIP, uninsured motorist can hit you, and you have to pay out of pocket. So you don't care, I hope you have enough saved to pay for the medical bills, because the odds are against you that you will not get into another auto injury ever again.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:13 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
For more information on this, visit:
Florida officials rush to find a fix for PIP law - 07/19/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

and the first paragraph of this article:

Florida's insurance crisis hitting businesses hard - 07/30/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida