Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,901 times

Advertisements

Well my family is thinking of moving from Hawaii to Florida. We are moving due to my mom is getting a divorce from my step-dad and we can't afford it without him as he makes 90% of the money. We have money saved away but in Hawaii we would be living in a little shack and in a bad neighbor hood to survive. We can move anywhere in the U.S. as we aren't tied to moving to Florida. We where just thinking of Florida as we were thinking it's the most comparable to the weather here in Hawaii. We use to live in Wesley Chapel about 9 years ago and loved it, but again we are looking to live south of the frost line as we are big wimps when it come's to weather lol. My mom was looking at cape coral, and West Palm Beach, but we are not sure as if those are good town's. We are looking for a good neighborhood, good schooling as my younger sister will be going into 10th grade, and a good soccer team as she love's soccer, low crime rate area, reasonable housing prices and we also would like to live within 20 minutes of the beach if possible. We do plan on making a flight out to check out area's but if anyone know's of any good area's and give me some info to help me make a decision on what town would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Cape Coral over West palm.... Both have good and so so areas. Someone from WP will have to chime in on that area. the only time I have been there is to a concert, and where i was looked good. Cape Coral is about as boring as boring can get. Cheaper to live, but not really anything there, it's like a bedroom community. The beach is 35-40 minutes away. Come to FL, check out BOTH areas for yourself. That's the only way to get a feel for it.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I realize that Florida has similar weather to Hawaii and this is your influence in moving but I really don't think Florida is a good choice at this point. It's going to be VERY hard finding a job anywhere in FL. ESPECIALLY Cape Coral!! Economically, it's one of the worst hit areas of Florida! There are NO jobs there!! I personally recommend Texas, where I'm at now. I'm a Floridian but my family moved here for jobs and housing and cost of living. Can't say we haven't been unsuccessful. We've just had to downsize a few times and I don't want to brag but we've been living pretty good for the most part. Huge homes, safe neighborhoods, jobs, cheap cost of living, very nice people, etc. And it's closer to Hawaii than Florida. Dallas/Fort Worth Intl. Airport has DIRECT flights to Honolulu. So anytime you need to go back, it's a simple hop, skip, and fly away to Hawaii.

There's four different Texas cities I would recommend for you to look into. The big ones of course. Austin, Dallas, Houston, & San Antonio (where I live). All equally great but culturally different and varied in diversity. Although I LOVE Florida, if your Hawaiian, be prepared not to see that many pacific-asian races like Japanese and Samoan. Florida is definitely caribbean/hispanic influenced and full of all the nationalies of the caribbean islands and South America. There are definitely more pacific-asian races in Texas. Predominately located in Houston and Dallas. Which are really great cities.

Again, that's why I suggested Texas. Texas is holding pretty well right now with the economy the way it is. You have a better chance at finding a job here than anywhere else in the country. People are moving from different areas of the country to come HERE for work and low cost of living. People are moving here from other COUNTRIES for the universities, jobs, and cost of living. I've been here for 5 years and I've never met so many people from India and Thailand before in Texas. It's SERIOUS. There's a better family life here than most other places. You have a good chance at owning a nice home that's affordable. The weather may not be like Hawaii's but it's satisfactory. It's constantly growing and the people are really nice. WAY nicer than Florida. Lol. So please, check out the Texas forum for more inquiry.

Last edited by allenk893; 06-08-2011 at 08:23 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmadragon007 View Post
Well my family is thinking of moving from Hawaii to Florida. We are moving due to my mom is getting a divorce from my step-dad and we can't afford it without him as he makes 90% of the money. We have money saved away but in Hawaii we would be living in a little shack and in a bad neighbor hood to survive. We can move anywhere in the U.S. as we aren't tied to moving to Florida. We where just thinking of Florida as we were thinking it's the most comparable to the weather here in Hawaii. We use to live in Wesley Chapel about 9 years ago and loved it, but again we are looking to live south of the frost line as we are big wimps when it come's to weather lol. My mom was looking at cape coral, and West Palm Beach, but we are not sure as if those are good town's. We are looking for a good neighborhood, good schooling as my younger sister will be going into 10th grade, and a good soccer team as she love's soccer, low crime rate area, reasonable housing prices and we also would like to live within 20 minutes of the beach if possible. We do plan on making a flight out to check out area's but if anyone know's of any good area's and give me some info to help me make a decision on what town would be greatly appreciated.
Will you have jobs here? I think you might have to narrow down your search based on where you find employment, if you need to work.

I recommend Sarasota, it is beautiful, has the best beaches in Florida and some of the best schools. It is more expensive than Cape Coral, but Cape Coral has NOTHING there, I don't recommend it at all. There is plenty of housing in all price ranges here depending on your wants and needs. I think you should visit this area. We have a beautiful small airport, and it is also only an hour to the larger city of Tampa with one of the nicest airports in the country. I also think Sarasota has some of the nicest weather on the Gulf coast.

The above poster re: Texas is entitled to his opinion, but that is his perspective only. People here are as friendly as you will find anywhere. I am a Florida native and have traveled around, and there is no other place I would rather live.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
I will go with Sarasota as well.

If you are used to those beaches, food, entertainment etc then Sarasota will fit the bill.

You will be close to the best beaches in the US and within a couple hours of all everything else you will ever want or need.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I will go with Sarasota as well.

If you are used to those beaches, food, entertainment etc then Sarasota will fit the bill.

You will be close to the best beaches in the US and within a couple hours of all everything else you will ever want or need.
If the OP wants to have any chance at finding a job, I don't think anywhere on the west coast of FL would be good. If anything, I suggest the Palm Beach County areas if the OP HAS to be in Florida. I recommend Royal Palm Beach over West Palm Beach or Boca Raton or Delray Beach.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
If the OP wants to find a job... Maybe Jacksonville? SWFL is horrible as far as employment goes, no matter where you are.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:40 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
The kinds of jobs that are available are usually in healthcare and the employmet situation in Jacksonville is no better than south Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida