U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 AM

96 posts, read 141,746 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Florida next month for a family reunion. I know the sun is much more intense than the Midwest and would like to protect myself since I am fair skinned. What specific brands are best? We will be at the beach in the mornings and then out and about the rest of the day. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 AM

10,141 posts, read 11,536,385 times
I don't think the brand matters much. Just use SPF 30 or more and you should be fine.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM

1,046 posts, read 2,282,456 times
My wife bought the CVS brand....30 spray on...they sold it in two packs and it was 1/2 the price of the name brands...worked great...I on the other hand have sensitive eyes and had to use a different brand...

Old 06-12-2011, 04:23 PM

6,476 posts, read 13,137,023 times
The best sunscreen is to avoid the sun. For the face my Derm recommended Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock. Also wear a hat, if you are a woman buy one of those big brimmed floppy hats to shade your face from the sun. If you will be going into the water read the instructions on the sunscreen as you will have to re apply most likely after coming out of the water.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 PM

3,538 posts, read 5,722,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The best sunscreen is to avoid the sun. For the face my Derm recommended Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock. Also wear a hat, if you are a woman buy one of those big brimmed floppy hats to shade your face from the sun. If you will be going into the water read the instructions on the sunscreen as you will have to re apply most likely after coming out of the water.
I was going to post the same thing!!! The best sunscreen is avoidance... But seriously they had a story on the news the week before last on the best sunscreens. Anything SPF 30, and CVS, Target brands were top 5.

Top sunscreens? Consumer Reports ranks best - Health - Skin and beauty - msnbc.com

Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 13,137,023 times
I forgot to mention that I bought the sunscreen the Derm suggested and hated it, I broke out after using it. Thanks for the link Chris!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,193,150 times
I was just going to point out that you should do a patch test on any sunscreen you buy for the first time, since many folks are allergic to certain ingredients. My husband is one of these, so when we go to the tropics I always test our sunscreen on him. I also use the Neutrogena Ultrasheer Sunblock. I also use avoidance--hats, loose, long-sleeved shirt.

Don't forget your feet and the back of your knees and neck!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:26 AM

725 posts, read 806,286 times
One other thing: Don't assume that clothing will protect you from the sun. I've read that a normal white t-shirt has an SPF factor of 5. I've been sunburned right through my t-Shirt, but then I have very fair skin. You can also get sunburned through your closed car window (my dermatologist told me this), it just takes longer.

Use any decent SPF 30+ lotion, use a lot of it at any one time, and reapply often. The Florida sun is brutal.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 AM

177 posts, read 359,405 times
One can also be sunlight deficient so I suggest some unprotected light every day. We get 20 or 30 minutes of sun on our arms and legs each day in the summer, usually between 10 AM and 2 PM when the UV-B rays are the strongest.

One extreme is to use a sun blocker every time one goes out in the sun. And an example of the other extreme is the French ladies who lived near us on the west African coast (less than 40 miles south of the equator) who spend hours on the beach without any clothes. By the time they were 30 years old, they looked much older.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:24 AM

2,094 posts, read 2,713,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
One can also be sunlight deficient so I suggest some unprotected light every day. We get 20 or 30 minutes of sun on our arms and legs each day in the summer, usually between 10 AM and 2 PM when the UV-B rays are the strongest.

One extreme is to use a sun blocker every time one goes out in the sun. And an example of the other extreme is the French ladies who lived near us on the west African coast (less than 40 miles south of the equator) who spend hours on the beach without any clothes. By the time they were 30 years old, they looked much older.
Man, if I was outside between 10 and 2 without sunscreen I would be burned crisp. Blue eyed blonde/white hair here so definitely sun sensitive. I live in Florida go to the beach on regular basis and barely have a tan compared to a lot of people but for me I am dark. LOL . I also rarely get burned either.

The trick use any sun tan lotion without paba in it. Use one that is sweatproof so it will offer some protection in the water and when you sweat. Apply the sun screen at least 1/2 hour BEFORE you go out in the sun. Reapply on a regular basis when out in the sun and every time you come out of the water. Put lotion on the parts in your hair and on your ears, too. Also use some spf type lip gel to keep lips from burning.

If you are going to stay at beach for hours and plan to lay or sit on the beach during peak hours of 10-4 bring beach umbrellas or a canopy to sit under. Just being in the water, walking to and from your cars, walking on the beach will give you plenty of sun time to tan. Don't forget to apply tanning lotion even when going to the theme parks etc.

Hats and cover-ups also good idea. I hate hats though because they make ya feel hotter and my head sweats so I usually rely on having an umbrella to escape to after I walk my miles if we plan to stay at beach. The sand also gets very hot and can burn your feet just getting from the stairs to the water so I also suggest wearing sandals or some type of shoe and removing them once on the beach where the sand is wet etc. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida