Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 PM

123 posts, read 553,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ette9000 View Post
Well it seems like you already have made up your mind. Oh and Northwest Florida State College is the local community college.
Oh, I did not realize it was considered a community college. My first degree (an AS) was from a community college in another state which I moved here from, and only granted 2 yr Associates degrees. I was under the impression that a school is not a jr. or community college if it offers 4 yr degrees?

I kinda sorta made up my mind I guess.. I am still seeking opinions, experiences, insight, etc. though because things can change between now and when I will pursue it. I probably have to wait until at least next year to begin the program. I am JUST now finishing my Bachelors degree on June 22. And I figured I should try and get a little experience within that field just in case the teaching thing doesn't work out for me for whatever reason. I've heard it can be tough to get a job, and it can be volatile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 PM

27 posts, read 200,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicy724 View Post
Oh, I did not realize it was considered a community college. My first degree (an AS) was from a community college in another state which I moved here from, and only granted 2 yr Associates degrees. I was under the impression that a school is not a jr. or community college if it offers 4 yr degrees?
No, many community colleges in the state offer 4 year degrees. A lot of times though a state university but they still come thru the community college. Guess its just one of those pesky rumors.
Also teaching can be volatile but you have to love it. If you love it you will still pursue it. At least you get a year to think about whether or not you want to do it now.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 PM

114 posts, read 279,446 times
and THIS is why teachers don't get paid a fair 'market' wage...if you don't have a degree in education you shouldn't be able to teach until you get one...just like EVERY other profession...but the scumbag legislatures allow for 'alternative path' teacher certification so they can continue to find cheap teachers. any other profession faces a shortage they up the salaries to attract more qualified people.. Education? nope they lower the standards so they can pay all the teachers less by increasing the amount of teachers. the quality suffers therefore the kids suffer...

Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 AM

27 posts, read 200,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
and THIS is why teachers don't get paid a fair 'market' wage...if you don't have a degree in education you shouldn't be able to teach until you get one...just like EVERY other profession...but the scumbag legislatures allow for 'alternative path' teacher certification so they can continue to find cheap teachers. any other profession faces a shortage they up the salaries to attract more qualified people.. Education? nope they lower the standards so they can pay all the teachers less by increasing the amount of teachers. the quality suffers therefore the kids suffer...
So if I have a Science and Math related degree I shouldn't teach Math and Science because I didn't major in Education? And this is why I shouldn't get paid a "fair market wage"? I agree that not everybody should be a teacher but I have also seen those teachers not qualified weeded out...fast. Basically, every teacher has their own situations. If a teacher has majored in Physics and wants to teach high school Physics then they should have to go back to school and get another Bachelor's just in Education to teach? I think not. That's why these programs also exist. They allow you to go back to school to just obtain the education related classes.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
Just because someone does not have a formal degree in education, does not mean they cannot teach. Especially when they go through a preparation program which teaches the fundamentals and theories, which is what you learn in a "formal" education degree. I have taken many classes, including many gen. ed classes, as required by all degree programs. I have two degrees. The only ones that are different are the CORE courses for your major, which is typically only 5 courses. So, if one takes education courses before becoming a teacher, really- what is the significant difference?
P.S. The state of FL requires a new teacher to take 15 hrs of education courses if their degree is not in education. This equates to five, three credit courses. The same amount of your core courses of your "formal education degree program".

Oh, and P.S.: I plan to pursue a Masters Degree of Education after I complete the teacher preparation program, which is 9 months long. I'd say I would be pretty prepared, if not more prepared, than many teachers who have sought only a bachelors degree in education.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Keep in mind that the education jobs market in the area isn't that great- Okaloosa just pink-slipped 85 teachers (though most of them will be called back) Walton, though hiring, can be a little insular. Santa Rosa is supposed to be growing fairly well, but Bay and Escambia are also fairly flat in terms of enrollment.

The 'traditional' teacher prep program in these parts puts you into actual classrooms at three different points in the curriculum- introductory/TSOL, methods, and then your student teaching. This gives the smart and forward-thinking teacher ed student even more chances to network like heck, make connections with current teachers & other people currently in the classroom and all that, which definitely helps around here, even if it's unlikely you'll end up in the same building where you student taught.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Keep in mind that the education jobs market in the area isn't that great- Okaloosa just pink-slipped 85 teachers (though most of them will be called back) Walton, though hiring, can be a little insular. Santa Rosa is supposed to be growing fairly well, but Bay and Escambia are also fairly flat in terms of enrollment.

The 'traditional' teacher prep program in these parts puts you into actual classrooms at three different points in the curriculum- introductory/TSOL, methods, and then your student teaching. This gives the smart and forward-thinking teacher ed student even more chances to network like heck, make connections with current teachers & other people currently in the classroom and all that, which definitely helps around here, even if it's unlikely you'll end up in the same building where you student taught.
Thank you for the info, beachmouse I have a friend who teaches in the Okaloosa County School District, but I am not sure that helps me too much. Luckily, I live in a location close enough to both Santa Rosa County (well, Navarre..) and Okaloosa County (up to Destin). So, I would be able to be flexible within two counties.

So, 'traditional' teacher prep program as you mention, refers to one through a Bachelors Degree in Education program, right? So, the one I am thinking of, TeacherReady, affiliated with University of West Florida, is not equivalent to the on-site experience with the 'traditional' program? It does put you in a classroom 3-4 hrs a week, then one full week towards the end. Do you think that helps at all?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I'm not familiar with the UWF program, but I'd be inclined to say it's never gong to be a bad thing to spend as much time in front of the kids as possible. Public speaking doesn't come easily to most people, even if you're in front of the small humans, so the more you doof it, the better it gets for you and the students.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM

114 posts, read 279,446 times
i think i will become a lawyer... just because i didn't go to school for law doesn't mean i wouldn't be a good lawyer...right?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm not familiar with the UWF program, but I'd be inclined to say it's never gong to be a bad thing to spend as much time in front of the kids as possible. Public speaking doesn't come easily to most people, even if you're in front of the small humans, so the more you doof it, the better it gets for you and the students.
I certainly agree. Do you know of any other programs, beachmouse? The UWF one is web based for the lessons, but they contact your desired school district to set up the on-site lessons and mentoring. It is expensive, but seems the most well rounded and best for me since the lessons are web based.

I contacted Pensacola State College because they also offer a program, but I am not sure they will set me up in my county for the on-site portions. Plus, it is not web based so I have to drive from Fort Walton Beach to Pensacola, and possibly do my on-site in Escambia County.

So, if you or anyone else know of other programs which work with Okaloosa County or Santa Rosa County, I am interested. Only programs that offer the lessons and on-site mentoring within a school though. I've already contacted the Okaloosa School District re: their alternative certification and the teacher-to-be is on their own to study for and take the tests, without any lessons on theories and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida