U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 PM

97 posts, read 199,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Well said.
While I highly predict that you will never have any worries in the financial department, I do wish you to follow their first answer of the unrealistic expectations. That right there is major contributor to hostility and depression among people in any state, not just the 'heavenly' Sunny Days state.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:11 AM

711 posts, read 1,624,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Where did you get this incorrect information from?
It's what some vendors told me when I asked why they no longer sell unpasteurized juice.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,508,131 times
Quote:
It does not cease to amaze me about the volume of incorrect and totally off the wall information that gets posted here. Sure must be confusing for people looking for real information to have to sort through the bashers/haters and malcontent posts every day.
As much as it is confusing for the Florida cheerleaders and "Everything is all rainbows and happy unicorns" talk.... It goes BOTH WAYS. Not all is perfect here as a few of you say it is.

When people ask about things, and have questions. As soon as we comment on things like weather, jobs, etc. we get bashed by a few of you in a second. Sorry but that IS the truth. And don't give me that "facts" crap, that is getting old. I could say it averages 90+ down here in Fort Myers from April through October, and you people will come back with the "average temps don't prove that that is correct". So annoying... Must be wonderful to know everything about everything.

Last edited by ChrisA70; 06-26-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,937,112 times
internet arguments are like pissing into an ocean of ****.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,193,503 times
I don't think anyone is stating that its "all rainbows and unicorns" (still chuckling over that one), but the pictures that some people here paint are very distorted. Statements like "its 100 degrees everyday", "the humidity sucks the life out of you", "I can't breathe", "the traffic is horrible", "the cost of living is very high", "insurance is unaffordable", "my car insurance is high", etc etc etc are controllable. Move to a place with less density and avoid traffic. Move to a place away from the coasts and enjoy lower home owners insurance, less traffic, less density, move to a place less populated and enjoy a lower cost of living. Go back to where you came from and live life in a place that apparently you couldn't stand to be in anymore so you left. Solutions. Posting on the internet about how much your life sucks and blame it on your geographic location is non-productive and unhealthy.

Let's look at weather: Hot in the summer, pleasant in the non-summer months. Lots of rain in the summer. Always a chance of a hurricane during "the season" especially in August/September. It gets very humid. None of this has changed much in centuries. Still the same. It's an either or thing. Either you like the weather/climate or you don't. Anyone should know the situation though. If you don't like tropical weather, Florida is not a place you should consider living. I don't miss winter at all.
I prefer warm pleasant weather year round. I found that out when I was on Okinawa for 2 years. I loved the tropical weather. When I returned home to the Northeast I was very disappointed with loosing that.

Jobs: Lots of jobs out there. Check the websites. Maybe not many jobs for highly skilled fields, but "normal" jobs abound. Seems that everyone is/wants to be a highly paid scientist or executive the day they arrive in FL. The economy here isn't based on big industry, huge companies, manufacturing, finance, or mostly white collar jobs. The main industries are service industries providing services to people who are here. As I've stated before, if you have $8.00 an hour skills, you will get $8.00 an hour. Are FL pay rates lower than a lot of places? Yes, they are. Again, that hasn't changed much in ages. There are offsets to salary though. The #1 factor is quality of life. I guess that is relative as to where you come from though. I came from NYC. There is no quality of life there. Its a huge rat race and a very difficult place to live. Very expensive, very crowded and very worn out. Archaic in a lot of ways.
Surely if you come from somewhere else, your opinion on whether quality of life in FL is better or worse would be dependent on where you came from.

Yes, I would think that the "average" temperature is 90 or above in the summer in most of FL. Again, that situation has been here since the oceans receded. South is South. South is hot. I learned that by the time I was 5 years old.

If you don't like southern culture, don't move to the south. If you don't like to be subjected to different lifestyles, don't move to the south. Of course that would be true no matter where one decides to relocate to, its going to be different. Just as so if someone moved from the south to the north. They would be in a different situation from what they were accustomed to and may not like it much.

Many complain about lack of friends. Most of my friends and I go back 40 years. We never "miss" one another as we visit each other when we are here or there, telephone conversations last an hour, now we have email and social media sites to keep in constant touch and stay up to date with life's happenings. In fact, one old friend will be in Orlando in July. We will drive over, have dinner, relax and chatter, have breakfast the next day and perhaps visit a theme park with them. Same goes when we are in NYC. We visit, have dinner, visit with their families. If we still lived there it would be about the same. We wouldn't be hanging out on the street corner, we wouldn't be sitting in a bar each day, we wouldn't be around each other that often.

Family: We are here there and every where. It's not that everybody is still in the same house/neighborhood they were in 30 years ago. However, we developed friendships here through common interests, neighbors but past and present and the workplace.

No place is "perfect" but where one chooses to live should be based on desires. If one desires to be cold, play in snow, live in a large city with
subways, buses, crowds, or in a small town with the quality of life that makes them happy, then that is where they should be and that is where they should stay.

I don't think anyone wakes up one morning and decides "I want to move to
wherever, just because" There has to be some reasoning for people to sell their homes, let the lease lapse on their apartments, quit jobs and decide to leave it all behind. I would think that people's desires change and they consider where else in this great U.S.A. they would rather be and have strong reasons for wanting to be there. However, it seems that some folks just uproot and relocate on a fluke. That is ridiculous and obviously a serious mistake.

So for all those who sit and complain about their situation, do what you did in the first place... sell their homes, let the lease lapse on their apartments, quit jobs and decide to leave it all behind.

After all, people have to be happy with their surroundings, lifestyles and
choices. Otherwise what is the purpose of living?

In the long run, Florida is not much different than anyplace else. We still have to go to work, pay the bills, go shopping, mow the lawn, fix up the house, live and eventually die.

Keep in mind, nothing in life is perfect, you just have to be doing what you enjoy and what makes you happy. If you're not happy, change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
As much as it is confusing for the Florida cheerleaders and "Everything is all rainbows and happy unicorns" talk.... It goes BOTH WAYS. Not all is perfect here as a few of you say it is.

When people ask about things, and have questions. As soon as we comment on things like weather, jobs, etc. we get bashed by a few of you in a second. Sorry but that IS the truth. And don't give me that "facts" crap, that is getting old. I could say it averages 90+ down here in Fort Myers from April through October, and you people will come back with the "average temps don't prove that that is correct". So annoying... Must be wonderful to know everything about everything.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Well, the information that "some vendors" provided you is totally incorrect. There has never been a ban on fresh unpasteurized orange juice in the state of Florida. Go to any grove where they have a retail store and you will get all the fresh untouched juice you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
It's what some vendors told me when I asked why they no longer sell unpasteurized juice.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 AM

You can bet your last dollar on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Valdosta View Post
While I highly predict that you will never have any worries in the financial department, I do wish you to follow their first answer of the unrealistic expectations. That right there is major contributor to hostility and depression among people in any state, not just the 'heavenly' Sunny Days state.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:27 AM

I think what happens is that a person gets upset about a statement and complains about it and then action is taken. Kinda like "I'm telling on you"

Spring Hill is doing fine. The economy certainly affected the area.
Being a bedroom community, a lot of residents (who are not retired) travel to Pasco, Pinellas and Hillsborough for work. When the economy took a dive, unemployment affected our area here greatly due to the elimination of jobs in the employment centers south of here. The demise of the housing boom greatly increased unemployment because before the demise of the economy, housing and building was going full steam keeping a lot of people employed in construction trades and real estate trades. House painters, carpenters, electricians, appraisers, real estate people, title companies, etc all took a major slap in the head.

Over grown lawns and lack of home maintenance resulted as people lost their income and simply could no longer afford to have the lawn service they were so accustomed to and their ability to maintain their homes. Foreclosures, abandoned homes and rentals all led to less than normal maintenance. Home maintenance/improvement took a back seat to other needs for a lot of people. Rental properties are rarely kept in pristine condition. The owners don't paint, don't provide lawn care, the inhabitants rent the house and have no desire to improve the property. That leads to a down trodden appearance.

Yes, Pine Island is a nice little spot to catch some rays, take a swim or just have a picnic. Jenkins Creek is still a popular spot to drop a line off the pier or to catch some Blue Claw crabs.

Things have grown a lot over the past 10 years here. Lots more retail has sprung up and there is now no need to travel to Gulfview Mall for much.
It's here locally. The demographics have changed as you mentioned as well. Many young families have came here to live. As far as "wild tattooed youngsters" I don't think we have a monopoly on them, but they are here.
I do agree Linda Pederson Park became a bit of a hangout for them, but then you could always go to Rogers Park for a more family setting along the river.

The new sheriff has set out to correct a lot of problems, mainly drugs, prescription and otherwise. A local pharmacy was shut down which was a major supplier of Rx medications to just about anyone who walked in the door. Drug dealing rings have been broken up and the dealers put in jail. I think the prior sheriff was more concerned about running for higher office than he was with the criminal activity in this county. The availability of cheap housing brought drugs and low life's into many previously stable neighborhoods. I've seen more search warrants raids take place in the past year than ever before here. That takes out the drug dealers and the other criminals who support them.

So yeah, the area has seen some decline but I don't know of any place that hasn't. When you have a depression it's effects become widespread.
I see in the police blotter that there is a sharp rise in domestic violence, fraudulent activities like credit card fraud and we still have our share of
small time crimes. I feel that when (if) the economy improves, things will take an up swing as more people move away from the major population centers to the south of here to escape the urban lifestyle.

Otherwise, the area is much the same with small gains here and there.
The Hernando County Airport is growing with small industries doing well there, as I said, more retail is here than ever before, the housing market stinks. However, I find it a nice quiet place to live and be. I work out of Brooksville and my job takes me to Ocala and Orlando often and I see the same problems in those places.

A lot of folks seem to miss the point that Hernando County is a rural agricultural county and Spring Hill is not much more than a huge subdivision, a bedroom community, not an industrial center or a jobs center. Some feel that it should be. I could not disagree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Valdosta View Post
thanks for your response. I had hoped for a little more insight as to the trends in moderation in here though, because that can be really frustrating. Especially if moderators misinterpret things and feel offended because you are not saying things that they have been exposed to or believe in. Perhaps you are forbidden to speak out against it I don't know. So, how is Spring Hill doing? The last I was there-last year, it seemed to have gone downhill since the early 90s. I seen many over-grown lawns and more run down houses. I used to think those small houses were so cute and served a very good purpose, it just looks so different than from what I recall. Good ol Pine Island is still quite lovely though. I love fishing at Jenkins too. Used to love that swimming hole across the road from the pier at Jenkins but when I was there last year, I was unable to jump in due to the usual wild tattooed youngsters that reign supreme and ruin most things these days. Have a good day.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 AM

179 posts, read 479,872 times
Quote:
According to you THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of restaurants throughout the state "suck". What an amazing conclusion.
Spring Hillian, IPoetry, always shows up in Florida posts, just to BASH the state, I noticed that some people do that when they think they can move down here, and everything is gonna be easy!
It's just like anything else you have to work first at building a life in a new location, most would test the waters before taking the plunge! And yes it can get VERY hot in Florida, WHEW who'da thought that???
Yes we can take CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism, but DON'T come to the FLORIDA threads to bash our state, due to your personal oppinions, based on your own misfortunes. We have a State filled with something for everyone, incudeing some of the best Seafood around.
His own word, when he first moved her was to the effect, that this was a WONDERFUL PLACE TO LIVE, guess he didn't think it through, WE THAT LIVE HERE, DO NOT STAY ON VACATION MODE.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:16 AM

You will never see me bashing FL or anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Andrews View Post
Spring Hillian, IPoetry, always shows up in Florida posts, just to BASH the state, I noticed that some people do that when they think they can move down here, and everything is gonna be easy!
It's just like anything else you have to work first at building a life in a new location, most would test the waters before taking the plunge! And yes it can get VERY hot in Florida, WHEW who'da thought that???
Yes we can take CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism, but DON'T come to the FLORIDA threads to bash our state, due to your personal oppinions, based on your own misfortunes. We have a State filled with something for everyone, incudeing some of the best Seafood around.
His own word, when he first moved her was to the effect, that this was a WONDERFUL PLACE TO LIVE, guess he didn't think it through, WE THAT LIVE HERE, DO NOT STAY ON VACATION MODE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or