U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 AM

21,112 posts, read 30,189,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Thats called team loyalty.If you were a Red Sox/Yankee fan your whole life why would you even think of switching just because you move to Florida.They should be grateful for those fans. They'd have trouble filling that stadium without them.
It's called assimilating into a culture versus transplanting everything from someplace else. If you're so loyal to the hometown culture, what are you doing here?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,182,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I almost cried when I got back to MA and walked into a real produce department.
Florida just hasn't been the same since we outlawed real produce stands.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,381,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wish they would go back as I seriously get in a hissy fit over going to Rays games where almost half the stadium is filled with Yankees/Red Sox fans who live here and don't support the Rays, only showing up to root against them. We all know how that would go over in NYC/Boston if reversed however.
The Yankees/Red Sox fans and other out-of-town teams are the only reason you have a team. If transplants didn't go the games, the crowds would be negligible at best. You ever heard of tradition ? If and whenever the Rays get some tradition and a history of winning. maybe the situation will change. Until then suck it up and be glad you have a team at all ...

Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Florida just hasn't been the same since we outlawed real produce stands.
I love how that poster blankets the ENTIRE STATE with his/her experience.

Not only do we have Publix where I live, but the seasonal green market and several independent produce markets.

The majority of the city here also does NOT live in gated developments, but rather tree lined, ungated sidewalked streets are quite common.

And as if hoodies and jeans are preferable over Lily Pulitzer. If you want to be a slobby snob, go for it, but don't pretend that there's much of a difference between the seasonal set on Cape Cod as there is in Palm Beach.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Oh let's see here... the beautiful season of spring, first with showy yellow daffys and forsythia, followed by the wondrous purple lilacs and rhodies, iris and hostas, soft green grass that you can walk barefoot on instead of the razor blade crabgrass that grows sideways. Real neighborhoods, not gated enclaves that are usually flanked with shantys on the other wide of the wall, fresh lobster rolls, cod, and giant scallops from Georges Bank, wearing jeans and a hoodie instead of the pinky-greeny Lily Pulitzer look, restaurants that cater to people's needs, as in grassfed beef and free range chickens, craft beer on draft, not wondering who's packing a concealed weapon, real newspapers that report real news instead of the local Florida papers that are obsessed with city workers' salaries, and no native Floridians who spout jesus at you while they're cutting your hair... Just off the top of my head.
Nobody forced you to move to the Treasure Coast. Chalk that up to your lack of research.

But, I wonder where it is you live in the Treasure Coast where your gated community is "flanked by shantys"?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:59 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I love how that poster blankets the ENTIRE STATE with his/her experience.

Not only do we have Publix where I live, but the seasonal green market and several independent produce markets.

The majority of the city here also does NOT live in gated developments, but rather tree lined, ungated sidewalked streets are quite common.

And as if hoodies and jeans are preferable over Lily Pulitzer. If you want to be a slobby snob, go for it, but don't pretend that there's much of a difference between the seasonal set on Cape Cod as there is in Palm Beach.
Well said, well said. And personally, I love seeing people dressed up, never cared for the "lumberjack look" myself....

Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,205,272 times
Interesting how full backs (those who went "home") continue to come to the forum for a place they loathe. I think they miss it.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,868,626 times
I think most people want to go back home for the following reason. When they lived at home they had their own routines and friends/family. They move away thinking they will continue to do the same routine and find good friends quickly.

Well, when you move to a different climate, region and state things are going to be different. If all you did up North is go to work, go home and watch TV, dine out once in awhile and go to the movies.... you are likely to do the same thing here... but now you have no friends/family to invite over... so you get lonely. You begin to become miserable, you view the weather as a bad thing since you get an electric bill every month that is high due to A/C. You become irritated with traffic, the heat and bugs. The only time you really get out and meet strangers at the grocery store where you have nothing better to do with your life but people watch and notice grocery prices cost more.... adding to your agitation. It becomes a cycle and you realize that you need to go back home since you came here for a new beginning and find yourself in the same old routine.... without friends/family. You are just as unhappy here as you were back home.

I think the above is why people want to go back home. Why move if you are going to live the same lifestyle had before? My experience has been that I do not make good friends until after I have been in a new town for over a year. If you want to be happy in your new home you need to go out and do things. There is something always going on here. Festivals, trade shows, sporting events (minor and big league), concerts, theater and other entertainment. There are tons of things to do outside. Kayaking, Boating, Fishing, Biking, diving, beach, visit one of the many state, county, city parks, etc. Go on road trips/weekend trips to many of Florida's towns. Jump on a cruise (you get a FL discount and no airfare required).

I'll agree, if all you do is wake up, drive, work, go home go to sleep and do it all over again... yeah... this place sucks... I'd want to go home too. Now if you get out of the house and do something fun AT LEAST once every other week you'll find yourself happier and will likely enjoy it here.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,868,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Thats called team loyalty.If you were a Red Sox/Yankee fan your whole life why would you even think of switching just because you move to Florida.They should be grateful for those fans. They'd have trouble filling that stadium without them.

Why wouldn't you change teams? Rosters on teams change so much now-a-days that you typically have an entire new roster (excluding a few players) every 5 years or so... including the manager. Sticking with a team you loved 5 years after you moved basically means you just like their uniform.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,155,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
So many people on this forum say "I can't wait to go back to NY/NJ/PA/MI/NH/OH to enjoy all the great things they have to offer". What exactly do these places or any others offer that Florida does not? It confuses me. Many people act like these places are safer or cleaner or less of a hell than Florida, some are, but most cities in the NE are hellholes compared to Florida's cities. A girl I knew once told me that NJ's cities are "less ghetto" than Florida's. I almost died laughing! Makes me wonder what rose colored glasses these people are looking through. Your opinions please!
There is a continuity with where someone came from or grew up. Their family house is there maybe a grandmother who has lived in the same house for 50 years and so on. It is a bold thing to make a move like that regardless where someone goes. The first time something goes wrong they want to run home to an imagined safety that probably doesn't really exist. People just get scared and want to leave for what ever reason but they may be surprised, as Thomas Wolfe said, "You can't go home again".
It is time for many of these people to grew up and make a life for themselves if not in Florida, somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or