Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times

Advertisements

I wasn't born in FL but moved there when I was 6 and lived there almost all my life. The last 6 1/2 years I have lived in TN. I can't wait to get back to FL.

I have been through many a hurricane, but these storms up here are nerve racking. I (or any family living in FL) never had any damage due to hurricanes. I had a tree fall on my house just recently due to a storm. I really hate it when the tornado sirens go off.

I won't buy any seafood up here. I occasionally get some from the frozen section, but it's just disappointing. I hope the seafood place in Grant is still there!

Decidious trees? You can have them. I'm tired of picking up tons of leaves every fall and pollen every spring.

I'll take the summer heat over the dreary winters up here. It gets very depressing when the sky is grey for months.

I know it is different in other parts of TN, but the lack of infrastructure up here is ridiculous, and no one wants to change. If you mention making things better (like education) they tell you to "go back home things are just fine the way they are."

I know many people who love this area, but I much prefer FL and really appreciate all it has to offer since I've been away. I guess the same can be said for all the people that leave FL to go back to where they came from.

As for crime; I had a license plate stolen in FL. That's the worst thing in all the 30 years that I lived there. Here in TN I had a $3000 go cart stolen and I had my purse stolen.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I wasn't born in FL but moved there when I was 6 and lived there almost all my life. The last 6 1/2 years I have lived in TN. I can't wait to get back to FL.
I absolutely love visiting TN, but I couldn't live there. The winter's have got to be very short compared to most places that experience winter, which is a good thing. But after being here for almost a year.... I have no desire to live in anyplace where freezing temps in the winter are normal. TN is also a little too 'redneck' for me as well. Don;t get me wrong... I love their culture... I love to experience it.... I just have no desire living in it.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I absolutely love visiting TN, but I couldn't live there. The winter's have got to be very short compared to most places that experience winter, which is a good thing. But after being here for almost a year.... I have no desire to live in anyplace where freezing temps in the winter are normal. TN is also a little too 'redneck' for me as well. Don;t get me wrong... I love their culture... I love to experience it.... I just have no desire living in it.
You must live in coastal Florida. There are plenty of rednecks, crackers, cowboys and cowhunters in Florida . I see you love the state - the best way to love it more is to drive around it, especially the inland. Two different worlds, the inland and the coast

OD

Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

We had a very cold winter this year (we went way over the amount of snow days). It didn't start warming up until late April and then the weather couldn't make up it's mind. We would have a day or two of 70's (which was nice) and then it would dip back down to the 40's. This happened up until the middle of May.
Although I have met some very nice people here I don't desire their culture. I like the "rednecks" in FL much better.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
I don't understand why people move to West and Middle Tennessee and then complain about the tornadoes and violent weather. That area is a nightmare.

And most of Tennessee, especially the rural areas, I would avoid like the plague, too, for various reasons.

I live in a very specific area and it is intentional. There's culture here, great weather, very good schools and a perfect mix of cost of living with employment opportunities. The state is 47th in the country for tax burden but because I live in Knoxville I get 43 miles of greenways, 137 parks and numerous dog parks. In fact, Knoxville was named the Pet-Friendliest city in the country!

Winter is a breeze, especially if you are from up north. It snows and inch or so, maybe, on occasion but almost immediately melts. Summers are much nicer than Florida, but if you live in Middle or West Tennessee that is not always the case. And our spring and fall is glorious!

I've hit the sweet spot but not all of the state is like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
You must live in coastal Florida. There are plenty of rednecks, crackers, cowboys and cowhunters in Florida . I see you love the state - the best way to love it more is to drive around it, especially the inland. Two different worlds, the inland and the coast

OD
Yep. Florida was not my cup of tea. It seems that in a lot of Florida the transplants live in these "pseudo communities" in order to avoid the "real" areas.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
We had a very cold winter this year (we went way over the amount of snow days). It didn't start warming up until late April and then the weather couldn't make up it's mind. We would have a day or two of 70's (which was nice) and then it would dip back down to the 40's. This happened up until the middle of May.
Everyone had a cold winter, including Florida.

But I find this fascinating. It reached a high of 73 in my area in February, 81 in March and 88 in April.

We got a colder and earlier than usual winter but a much earlier and warmer spring.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,278 times
Quote:

I have been through many a hurricane, but these storms up here are nerve racking. I (or any family living in FL) never had any damage due to hurricanes. I had a tree fall on my house just recently due to a storm. I really hate it when the tornado sirens go off.

I won't buy any seafood up here. I occasionally get some from the frozen section, but it's just disappointing. I hope the seafood place in Grant is still there!

Decidious trees? You can have them. I'm tired of picking up tons of leaves every fall and pollen every spring.

I'll take the summer heat over the dreary winters up here. It gets very depressing when the sky is grey for months.

I know it is different in other parts of TN, but the lack of infrastructure up here is ridiculous, and no one wants to change. If you mention making things better (like education) they tell you to "go back home things are just fine the way they are."

I know many people who love this area, but I much prefer FL and really appreciate all it has to offer since I've been away. I guess the same can be said for all the people that leave FL to go back to where they came from.

As for crime; I had a license plate stolen in FL. That's the worst thing in all the 30 years that I lived there. Here in TN I had a $3000 go cart stolen and I had my purse stolen.

I agree 100% with you! I was born and raised in Florida, lived in Louisiana several years before moving to California. We moved to Tennessee almost 4 years ago and have dreaded it. For all the same reasons and then some.

We have a chance of maybe relocating to Fla and it is just a dream come true for us to be able to get out of Tennessee.

I can't take the heat and cold here in TN any longer. I have also been through many hurricanes in my lifetime and will take those over the storms here in Tennessee any day. There is no in between here except for a couple of days between summer and winter.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
I can't take the heat and cold here in TN any longer. I have also been through many hurricanes in my lifetime and will take those over the storms here in Tennessee any day. There is no in between here except for a couple of days between summer and winter.
MIDDLE Tennessee.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't understand why people move to West and Middle Tennessee and then complain about the tornadoes and violent weather. That area is a nightmare.

And most of Tennessee, especially the rural areas, I would avoid like the plague, too, for various reasons.

I live in a very specific area and it is intentional. There's culture here, great weather, very good schools and a perfect mix of cost of living with employment opportunities. The state is 47th in the country for tax burden but because I live in Knoxville I get 43 miles of greenways, 137 parks and numerous dog parks. In fact, Knoxville was named the Pet-Friendliest city in the country!

Winter is a breeze, especially if you are from up north. It snows and inch or so, maybe, on occasion but almost immediately melts. Summers are much nicer than Florida, but if you live in Middle or West Tennessee that is not always the case. And our spring and fall is glorious!

I've hit the sweet spot but not all of the state is like this.

Yep. Florida was not my cup of tea. It seems that in a lot of Florida the transplants live in these "pseudo communities" in order to avoid the "real" areas.

Not everyone can move to Knoxville, and I wouldn't anyway. Too much traffic and it's even hotter and more humid there than in Crossville. They are always air quality alerts for that area.
Florida is a big state with many places to chose to live. We are moving back to Melbourne. We have family, a job, and a lovely coastal breeze. I wouldn't choose to move to Miami, but I'm sure many people do and they enjoy it.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

The same can be said for TN. Two examples in my small town is Fairfield Glade and Tansi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida