U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,553 posts, read 47,233,217 times
Reputation: 13382

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
The same can be said for TN. Two examples in my small town is Fairfield Glade and Tansi.
Couldn't agree more. Full of transplants, mostly from Florida. And they bump up against the locals and then the fun begins.

 
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,553 posts, read 47,233,217 times
Reputation: 13382
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Not everyone can move to Knoxville, and I wouldn't anyway. Too much traffic and it's even hotter and more humid there than in Crossville. They are always air quality alerts for that area.
Florida is a big state with many places to chose to live. We are moving back to Melbourne. We have family, a job, and a lovely coastal breeze. I wouldn't choose to move to Miami, but I'm sure many people do and they enjoy it.
Traffic? In Knoxville?

I'll tell you what, my dad lives in Melbourne and it is a heck of a lot less hot and humid in Knoxville. In fact my dad is on his way to visit me, right now.

This minute: Knoxville heat index: 85.
Mebourne heat index: 98.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: San Diego, Ca
747 posts, read 1,557,731 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Not everyone can move to Knoxville, and I wouldn't anyway. Too much traffic and it's even hotter and more humid there than in Crossville. They are always air quality alerts for that area.
Florida is a big state with many places to chose to live. We are moving back to Melbourne. We have family, a job, and a lovely coastal breeze. I wouldn't choose to move to Miami, but I'm sure many people do and they enjoy it.
I agree about the air quality and Air quality alerts there. We were vacationing in that area several weeks ago during the Alerts. We had to cut our vacation short as we both started having breathing problems. Both of us had to come home and see our physicians. Not fun.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,512,081 times
Reputation: 1731
FL isn't the best place for people with asthma or MS either, that is for sure...
 
Old 07-15-2011, 02:30 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,553 posts, read 47,233,217 times
Reputation: 13382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
I agree about the air quality and Air quality alerts there. We were vacationing in that area several weeks ago during the Alerts. We had to cut our vacation short as we both started having breathing problems. Both of us had to come home and see our physicians. Not fun.
I am so sorry that happened to you and your family. Knoxville sits in a valley and in the summer the air is not great until it rains or gets windy. Visibility is at 10 miles right now. No air quality alerts.

No place is perfect and Tennessee is a big state, just like Florida. In both states there are places I like better than others.

Anyway, I hope you are very, very happy in your new home. Everyone should live in an area that makes them happy. Life is too darn short to do otherwise.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 02:33 PM
 
Location: San Diego, Ca
747 posts, read 1,557,731 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
FL isn't the best place for people with asthma or MS either, that is for sure...

This is true Chris. Neither is California. That's where we lived prior to moving to TN almost 4 years ago. We never had any problems what so ever. I was born and raised in Florida and visit relatives all the time. We've never had any issues. Our Physicians here in TN explained it to us. They said that we more or less sit in a bowl and when there isn't a breeze, rain etc to move it; then the smog, pollen etc just sits there. They also told us about a certain weed/tree that is here that's very uncommon elsewhere. I can't remember the name of it. Wish I could.

We vacation every month so we can get relief. Per Doctors orders. Love our Doctors.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,512,081 times
Reputation: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
This is true Chris. Neither is California. That's where we lived prior to moving to TN almost 4 years ago. We never had any problems what so ever. I was born and raised in Florida and visit relatives all the time. We've never had any issues. Our Physicians here in TN explained it to us. They said that we more or less sit in a bowl and when there isn't a breeze, rain etc to move it; then the smog, pollen etc just sits there. They also told us about a certain weed/tree that is here that's very uncommon elsewhere. I can't remember the name of it. Wish I could.

We vacation every month so we can get relief. Per Doctors orders. Love our Doctors.
I have a bad allergy to Australian pine. Lucky me where I live in Estero is loaded with it.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: San Diego, Ca
747 posts, read 1,557,731 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I am so sorry that happened to you and your family. Knoxville sits in a valley and in the summer the air is not great until it rains or gets windy. Visibility is at 10 miles right now. No air quality alerts.

No place is perfect and Tennessee is a big state, just like Florida. In both states there are places I like better than others.

Anyway, I hope you are very, very happy in your new home. Everyone should live in an area that makes them happy. Life is too darn short to do otherwise.
Thank you hiknapster. Yes; that's what our physicians told us about also when we had to see them after our vacation. That it sits in a Valley.

I also agree that no one should live in an area they're not happy in. Some though just don't have the options of moving once they made a mistake. And it's sad. We're just lucky that we have opportunities to move else where.

Tennessee just didn't fit our lives. No fault of TN. We are middle age and just want more out of life than what TN could offer us. But some it offers them everything they wanted. Just as any state does.

But there were Air Quality Alerts during the time we were there. They kept buzzing our alert notices on our phones. Here is a link talking about it. This is when we were there.

Heat sparks more Air Quality Alerts in Knox Co. | wbir.com
 
Old 07-15-2011, 02:46 PM
 
Location: San Diego, Ca
747 posts, read 1,557,731 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I have a bad allergy to Australian pine. Lucky me where I live in Estero is loaded with it.
Oh no Chris How do you deal with it? I feel for you; we suffered for several weeks after coming back from Knoxville. I do know how you feel. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,512,081 times
Reputation: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Oh no Chris How do you deal with it? I feel for you; we suffered for several weeks after coming back from Knoxville. I do know how you feel. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Zyrtec does the trick when they pollenate. This year it hasn't bothered me so much. Ragweed is another one, but it's on the low level of my allergens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top